This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revolver Build

Here is a barrel blank being cut to 6 inches long.

Cut Blank next to S&W Mod 14

Next I will setup the Lathe and show threads being cut .

Dialing the Barrel in

Shank Cut to size

Threaded 540 X 36tpi

Installing the barrel onto the frame is shown in another post - http://www.shootingaustralia.net/forum/general-gunsmithing/59-installing-a-barrel-on-a-s-w-revolver , I will be Slabbing the sides, cutting the ejector rod slot, installing a crane lock, A trigger stop on the trigger and installing an Aristocrat sight.I will post these as I get to them.

Barrel installed on Frame

Crane Lock installed

Here is the Ejector Rod Cutout machined on the Barrel.

Forcing cone Cut.
    Prior to cutting the Cone ,Endshake was fixed and the Barrel / Cylinder gap set to spin on a 4 thou gauge.The Revolver has been blasted clean and the next step is slabbing the sides of the Barrel. Also changed the Thread Title.

Trigger Stop installed

Barrel Slabbed

Next will be installing the Aristocrat Model TS-6-T Sight.

Here is the Aristocrat Sight installed.

It will be getting it's final polish and cleanup then Blued on Thursday.
    Will post pics after it's blued.

Just back from being Blued, Cleaned up ,Put back together and oiled all over on the outside.
    When the customer gets it he will wipe the excess oil off and It will look prettier ( The internals have been cleaned and lubed ).

http://kgcustom.webs.com/[b]

Updated Post Above.

Comment

Originally posted by 6602steven" post=1227
      I see youve already made a mistake, its been cut 4" too short LOL

Will be interesting to see it all come together. Keep the pics coming

Steve
      I really need someone taking the pics , but what do you do..
      I'll try and get a few up each day.

Ken

Comment

Great project and thanks for sharing.

What a pity the photo's are either cropped or not the right format as they don't blow up even on "Photobucket".

Too small for my tired old eye's.

Can't wait to see the final completed project.

Comment

• Aussie44
          Aussie44 commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Mega" post=1308
          Great project and thanks for sharing.

What a pity the photo's are either cropped or not the right format as they don't blow up even on "Photobucket".

Too small for my tired old eye's.

Can't wait to see the final completed project.
          Mega, They are huge on my PC but when I upload to Photobucket they shrink for some reason and are displayed small on the forum ??

Gee, I don't know.... I either upload 800kb fullsize photo's or even the same cropped to 1024x768 about 150kb to Photobucket and they all come out the same way to me on this Forum .... Well on my computer. Have a look at my 30BR Topic and here they are rather large.....well no smaller than my own on the 23" LCD Screen.

That's why I made the comment cause they looked so small....

I just have a Free Account on Photobucket and have done nothing other than sign up, then upload photo's then post the IMG Code Link here.

What about we do a test. Maybe you still have my email address but if not I'll PM it to you. Email me one of your Photo's and I'll see what it looks like here, then if it's full size resolution I'll upload it to Photobucket and then post it on the Forum. You should be able to check your resolution size by looking at the properties of your photo on the computer. ...ie right click properties.

Take care.

BTW On the Forum your images are 320x180 Pixels ....Small. The same on Photobucket so they are being cropped somewhere. They should be at least 1024 x 768 as mine are from Photobucket.

Comment

• Aussie44
          Aussie44 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mega, It's all sorted now Mate.

Ken

Aussie44, is this revolver going up for sale or has someone ordered it ???

Thanks...

Comment

• Aussie44
          Aussie44 commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Maverick" post=1335
          Aussie44, is this revolver going up for sale or has someone ordered it ???

Thanks...
          It's a customers gun Maverick, It will be going down to Tassie once it's finished.

A couple of more pics added above.

Comment

Now that's a revolver.........Dare say it would take a few round's for that thing to heat up. :lol: Big and chunky Nice one Aus

Comment

• Aussie44
            Aussie44 commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by El-Skippo " post=1746
            Now that's a revolver.........Dare say it would take a few round's for that thing to heat up. :lol: Big and chunky Nice one Aus
            :lol:
            Skip, They use very light 38 Special loads in these ,It shouldn't heat up at all

Nice write up and pics.

Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

Comment

• Aussie44
            Aussie44 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Mate.

Just back from being Blued and a new Pic added.

Hi Aussie44,
          I noticed you didn't cut the threads between centres, I thought it would be the better way to cut the thread. Just curious as to your opinion of the best way to do the job.
          Cheers G.

Comment

• Aussie44
            Aussie44 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi glow861,

I never machine between centres, With long rifle barrels I'll use a spider at the back of the lathe and the 4 jaw up front to setup and zero.
            My barrel maker machines the blanks to my specs, zeroed thru the bore ( 1 inch for K/L frame and 1.1 inch for N frame ).
            I then use the 4 jaw chuck to zero the barrel bore and Machine/Thread to suit,This barrel being 6 inches long only the 4 jaw chuck is used to zero the bore.

COOL!

Question time

When turning the threads are you using the 3 wire method? Did you measure the dimensions of the thread on the old barrel to copy them onto the new barrel?

Thanks

Comment

• Aussie44
            Aussie44 commented
            Editing a comment
            I measure the Frame Threads / Dimensions and machine the barrel to suit.
        Working...
        X