Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should Cerakote last?

Hi all,

I have had very little experience with Cerakote. I was wondering how long you would expect it to last on the bolt of a rifle? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Probably longer than pretty much any other finish. There's some good reading on their website regarding testing:

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/testing/
    Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a rifle that has fired around 25 rounds and the cerakote has worn pretty badly on the bolt. Just not sure if this was normal.

One of the things I tell people when I Cerakote their rifle is that it WILL wear down on the moving parts, perhaps even wear off.

This is unavoidable unless you are willing to pay me another fistful of $$$ to trick out the inside of your action.

I make the offer that I will recoat their bolt later on if they feel they really need it done. No-one has come back to me yet.

Comment

• jasmay
      jasmay commented
      Editing a comment
      I seriously recomend you consdier the KG 2400 Gunkote. Excellent abrasio properties, or their 1600 PTFE Coating woudl be anoter to consider for bolt coating.

One advantage the KG system offers is the KPhos pretreatment, for extra corrosion resistence, and better bonding....

http://www.kgcoatings.com/protective-coatings/4000-k-phos-pretreatment/

http://www.kgcoatings.com/protective-coatings/2400-series-gun-kote/

One other thing with bolts is that they're usually pretty hard and may not get blasted properly before coating so the coating isn't keyed properly into the surface and peels off.
    Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does.

Comment

I've had a few coatings over the years, gunkote, duracoat and both versions of cerakote (air cure and oven cure). Of the bunch, the oven bake Cerakote is the hardest wearing finish I have seen, if it is applied correctly. The parts have to be really really clean and very well blasted with a residue free blasting agent, then cleaned again with an acetone bath.

I have scratched cerakote on the external parts of my rifles, much to the annoyance of the applicator who said "you'll never scratch this stuff". I have also worn the cerakote and microslick off the working parts of the rifles, but I see all coatings, cerakote included as just another way of protecting my rifles in the field so I don't have to oil the bloody things every night after yet another wet and cold day hunting critters, when I could be much happier by the fire with a can in hand.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Guncoat is good stuff... i have it on my remington bolt. It has lasted a long time.

Cerakote oven cure when applied meticulously is a better coating. I think its easy to get cerakote on without it being truly perfect, hence why some people have it scratch off easily.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Shooter" post=35141
        I've had a few coatings over the years, gunkote, duracoat and both versions of cerakote (air cure and oven cure). Of the bunch, the oven bake Cerakote is the hardest wearing finish I have seen, if it is applied correctly. The parts have to be really really clean and very well blasted with a residue free blasting agent, then cleaned again with an acetone bath.

I have scratched cerakote on the external parts of my rifles, much to the annoyance of the applicator who said "you'll never scratch this stuff". I have also worn the cerakote and microslick off the working parts of the rifles, but I see all coatings, cerakote included as just another way of protecting my rifles in the field so I don't have to oil the bloody things every night after yet another wet and cold day hunting critters, when I could be much happier by the fire with a can in hand.
        Could it just be your an oaf?

If you are using the heat cured Cerakote, or KG Gunkote, paint product, which I assume are made up of some kind of flammable solvent, is there an issue in using an oven to cure this paint, ie potential for an explosion?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        G'Day Fella's,

Actually Bambara, if the Cerakoted product is baked in an oven at too high a temperature, there is a very real and serious chance of Nuclear Detonation!
        Of coarse not dopey, if you follow the instructions correctly!!!

Doh!
        Homer

Hey Homer, thanks for the insulting reply

Comment

• jhonvdp
        jhonvdp commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not as bad as spray paint or anything, but you can over-cook the stuff. I found that until it's properly cured, don't cook it too hot because you can burn the colour - I had OD green and greys get burnt because they were touching the inside of the oven/direct contact with heating element and they came out with a brown tinge that didn't go away.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Bambara" post=36011
        Hey Homer, thanks for the insulting reply
        Sorry about that Bambarra!
        But if you ask a Dumb Question, you have to expect a Dumb Response from somebody!!!

Doh!
        Homer
    Working...
    X