Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mauser 98 7x57mm project

G'day,
    Just got a step closer to a long anticipated project, a 7x57mm Mauser 98 . Classic cartridge. Classic action.

I have posted an expression of interest with Seddo for a PacNor barrel.

I have a Santa Barbara action in the form of a commercial Parker Hale en route. I have a k98 trigger guard that I will thin and modify to a hinged floor plate style.

Stock wise. I don't want a drop in, I am looking at custom.

So who can people recommend to build, finish and bed the rifle stock ?

Thanks in advance.

Oddball

Be a good one to watch.

I built a heavy barrelled Mauser Mark X in 300 Win Mag and used a Boyds varmint thumbhole which I opened up and finished myself .

I'll get a pic up later for you.
    I have a spare DAKOTA ARMS - M-98 MODEL 70-STYLE SHROUD WITH WING SAFETY if your interested.

http://kgcustom.webs.com/[b]

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Aussie44" post=22347
      Be a good one to watch.

I built a heavy barrelled Mauser Mark X in 300 Win Mag and used a Boyds varmint thumbhole which I opened up and finished myself .

I'll get a pic up later for you.
      I have a spare DAKOTA ARMS - M-98 MODEL 70-STYLE SHROUD WITH WING SAFETY if your interested.
      Aussie 44,
      Always like pics!

The PH bolt has a clean-ish shroud, but it would certainly add a certain "panache", to add the Dakota Mod 70 style safety.

Please let me know a price, PM if appropriate.

Thanks

Oddball

What kind of shooting will you do with the rifle that dictates what kind of stock is suitable .

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Happy jack" post=23000
      What kind of shooting will you do with the rifle that dictates what kind of stock is suitable .
      Happy Jack,
      This rifle will be a piece of functional form and beauty. Some would say a safe queen. I envisage it would come out for the odd range session for load development and zeroing/ confirm zeroing as well as a few hunts.

It won't be my go to rifle, but the rifle I can pass on, and share classic hunts with family and friends.

A Boyds stock won't cut the mustard on this project. I want a reasonable grade of Walnut and sharp hand cut checkering that bites into the hand.

Metal work will be polished to a mirror finish before blueing, and I want a rich dark blue, like the classic Colt Royal Blue.

No Piccatinny rails, no tactical add on's, or Cerakote, or fibreglass, nylon or Kevlar.

Thanks,

Oddball

Fair enough sounds nice .

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Here's my custom Mauser in 8x57 with a sporterised military action, hinged floorplate, M70 style three position safety, Lothar Walther Barrel, Nikon pre-monarch 3-9x40 with QD mounts and obligatory nice lump of wood done in a satin finish (ie not glossy).

Hey Aussie 44, any luck on finding the safety?

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

• Aussie44
      Aussie44 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mate still haven't found it. I know it's here some where.
      I'll keep looking.
Working...
X