Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunsmithing Quality Assurance

Hey all.
    Thought it would be handy to have a single thread where people can post their good experiences with gunsmiths. Here's a form you can copy to rate your experience with the gunsmith you chose:

GUNSMITH: Name & location
    Work Done: brief description of the scope of work performed on what gun.
    Cost: what did they charge you?
    Lead Time: how long did it take to get the job done?
    MOA Rating: My version of the star rating; the smaller the number the happier you are. Best score would be the caliber of the gun you had worked on, worst would be 5MOA. If they completed the job adequately but no stand out service or quality = 1MOA

Just by way of discussion, what are the qualifications needed to be a gunsmith in Australia? Is there a peak body for gunsmiths to self regulate the quality of of work with in their industry?

I am under the impression that all you need is a bunch of tools and the appropriate licence. This would lead to some questionable work being performed under the claim of 'gunsmith'; this is why i am starting this thread to help sort the wheat from the chaff when looking for a gunsmith to work on your pride and joy. Nothing worse than trusting something you've worked hard to acquire to someone and getting it back irrevocably damaged.

Seems like a good idea. Hope you all agree.
    A few guide lines so no-one gets into trouble:
    1/ Just give the facts
    2/ Don't add any defamatory remarks to your MOA rating; if you are really unhappy, just give them a bad rating like 5MOA.

I'll start it off in a post below.
    List to tick off:
    - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
    - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
    - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
    - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
    - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
    - Comp dies for 7mm-08
    - Case annealer
    - Custom dies for wild cat

GUNSMITH: Ebay Trigger Dude, Ebay Australia (Sydney)
    Work Done: trigger job, fix safety on Howa .223REM
    Cost: $60 ($15 of that was postage)
    Lead Time: 10 days. Posted on a Monday arvo, got it back following Thursday.
    MOA Rating: 0.277MOA.

(Would have given him .223MOA rating but as this is my first gunsmithing work performed i thought i should leave a small margin for error!)
    Considering i'm in Tas and the trigger would have been in the post for a total of 5 days minimum, i think the lead time was good.
    List to tick off:
    - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
    - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
    - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
    - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
    - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
    - Comp dies for 7mm-08
    - Case annealer
    - Custom dies for wild cat

Comment

GUNSMITH: Andrew Cowling, Wildcat Precision (Launceston, TAS)
      Work Done: Recrown poorly trimmed muzzle, reset foresight to factory spacing, replace corroded foresight blade, sort out feed/extraction issues (adjust extractor, modify bolt and aftermarket magazine), source and fit Field side mount for a Slazenger Model 24
      Cost: $450. Was around 6 hrs of work, plus the mount itself.
      Lead Time: About 3 weeks. Andrew was upfront about his (large) workload and that the job would be fit around others while waiting for parts to arrive. In the end his estimation of 3 weeks was spot on.
      MOA Rating: Headshot (sorry, I'm a hunter, not a target shooter )

Although it turned out to be a rather expensive fix, I was very happy with Andrew's work. Before commencing with the work, he took plenty of time to explain what needed to be done, why and how long it would take, and only proceeded after I gave the OK. When the work was done he again wasn't rushed running me through all the work that had been completed. Very professional conduct - would be happy to recommend. I hear he makes extremely accurate benchrest and other competiton rifles.

Cheers, Ben.

Comment

Gunsmith:LocknLoad
        Gun: CZ 452 17 HMR
        Work Done: Lightened standard trigger to 7 ounces
        Lead Time :not even a week
        Cost $50
        MOA Rating: .17MOA
        = Happy customer

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Note to all,

I don't what to see any negavite comments or name & shame in this topic, if so threads in question will be remove without warning.

Admin.

Sunshine Coast Gunsmithing, Rob Bloomfield. Rob has worked on a number of my rifles and I've always been satisfied.

Excellent.

Comment

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          GUNSMITH: Rolf Hey, Hobart Region
          Work Done: barrel trim & crown, new striker spring, reprofile firing pin, reshape bolt stop & repair trigger assembly.
          Cost: $160
          Lead Time: 6 days
          MOA Rating: 0.224MOA.

Great communication and prompt service.
          Work was completed within 2 days of receiving rifle; one day in post, the rest of the lead time was waiting for me to pick it up.
          WEBLINK: http://acmeengineering.com.au/gunsmithindex.html#SlideFrame_1

Gunsmith; A NSW Gunsmith
        Gun: CZ455 22lr
        Work supposed to be done:fit a rifle basix trigger to 1 pound
        Work done:refitted with standard trigger replaced sear and lightened to 2 pounds
        Lead Time:1 week short of 12 months
        Cost $225
        MOA Rating: 5MOA

Comment

Working...
        X