$120 for drilling and tapping holes for scope mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $120 for drilling and tapping holes for scope mounts

Good day, all. My best wishes to the people battling the NSW fires.

$120 seems a bit rich to drill and tap a few holes for scope mounts, don't you think?
    Is it really precise work, or could I get my local friendly mechanic to do it?
    I suppose I'd need to have the mounts handy so I knew where the holes had to go. Is it that easy?
    Thank you all for your help and support.
    By the way, the rifle is a Remington 41 Targetmaster 22lr. It's going to be my babe magnet when I go to the range! HAHA!
    I reckon I'll be pullin' 'em like flies.

Originally posted by koolman" post=18550
    Is it really precise work, or could I get my local friendly mechanic to do it?
    Hey Koolman.

Personally, I wouldn't get the local mechanic to do it. You'd want the holes lined up with the bore as best as possible.

I agree &120 is a bit rich! I was quoted about that a while back, but that included a pair of bases from memory. Where about's are you? Can you shop around a bit? Can you afford to wait until you can take it somewhere? How good is the gunsmith you quoted from? If he has a good rep, maybe just bite the bullet and get it done; hell, you could spill more than that on a good night!
    List to tick off:
    - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
    - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
    - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
    - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
    - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
    - Comp dies for 7mm-08
    - Case annealer
    - Custom dies for wild cat

Comment

Originally posted by koolman" post=18550
      By the way, the rifle is a Remington 41 Targetmaster 22lr. It's going to be my babe magnet when I go to the range! HAHA!
      There are babes at your gun range???
      List to tick off:
      - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
      - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
      - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
      - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
      - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
      - Comp dies for 7mm-08
      - Case annealer
      - Custom dies for wild cat

Comment

• scythe
        scythe commented
        Editing a comment
        If you have a machinist mate it will only cost you a carton of their favourite beer or cider.
        Or even any one who has a mill, and a digital read out will male it easier again.
        Drilling 4 holes and tapping them will probably take about an hour.
        But then you need the correct taps.

You wouldn't want it done wrong would you?

Ring around for a better price if you can but at the end of the day you want it done well the first try.

Steve

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by 6602steven" post=18562
        You wouldn't want it done wrong would you?

Ring around for a better price if you can but at the end of the day you want it done well the first try.

Steve
        I'm with Steve on that one.

I think $120 is a bit rich but not unfair, it would be done properly and you dont get much for your money these days.
      It would be a fraction of what your rifle and scope is worth.
      "Well he should've armed himself" - Unforgiven.

Comment

its a bit of money, but i wouldn't say by alot, just drilling the holes and tapping them anyone could do, but your paying for the skill that goes into the measuring etc...

while this isn't something that i've ever had quoted for i also don't know that i'd want a rifle in the hands of someone who was gonna do it for less then $90 ish cause i'd be concerned they wouldn't give the job the time it deserves to get it right... i'd agree with what others said call another place or two but realistically if the smith you've contacted is someone you know to be good/has been recommended to you then probably wear the extra 20-30 bucks you'd save going elsewhere

Comment

In reallity if you call a washing machine mechanic they can charge you $ 100 just to tell you it's stuffed .
          It is expensive but so is everything else in life so if the skill level is there and the job is done nice and straight then it's better to spend $120 and get a good job than $80 and get a crook job .

Comment

• Gwion
            Gwion commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree with those saying it's not a bad price if you trust that the smith is up to doing an Agrade job on it.
            As i said before: you could spill more than that on a good night!

Fantastic! Thank you all very much. Sounds like maybe it's not too much money. I know I wouldn't have a clue how to do it, never mind not having the gear or the knowledge even how to use it.
          Any recommendations on what to install for a base?

I bow to your incredibilist massivenicity of experience.

cheers

Comment

I guess it depends on how the person go's about it.
            Take it to a smith/machine shop to be marked out, set up in a machine and then worked on precisely. For $120 that sounds alright to me.
            If you get your mechanic to do it by sitting the mounts on top , marking by eye and drilling on the drill press $120 sounds pretty steep.

Just remember incorrect holes on the action will directly effect the mounting of the scope and the adjustment for it to point straight,
            If the job is really muffed the scope could be damaged due to the poor fitting misaligned rings.

Shooting is measured in MOA. The work done on rifles needs to reflect that method of measurement.

JH

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              G'Day Fella's,

Koolman, for years the standard price for drilling and tapping a small hole (in a firearm or related product) was $25.00 per hole!
              This obviously included dismantling the firearm, setting it up in a Mill, doing the job, cleaning and reassembling the firearm!!!
              Maybe it has now risen to $30.00 per hole?

Hope that helps

Doh!
              Homer

How much to fill up your car with petrol?

Comment

Mounting any sight is a precision job.

Setting up scope mounts are easy to do badly and difficult to do properly. Not only does each mount need to be set to align with the bore, they must also align perfectly with each other, to ensure that your rings are perfectly aligned.

There is no degree of right. They either align perfectly or they don't. If they don't align with each other and with the bore, your treasured rifle is on step closer to being junk.

$120 to get it right is a fair price but....... $120 to get it almost right is of no value.

Make sure who ever you pay has both the experience and reputation to get it right first time.

Paul

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm with digger on this one. Pay the money & get it correct first time.
                Only 120! that is cheap if it's done 100% right & you only pay it once.

I've had 2nd hand rifles which cost me to have the scope mounts redone, plug holes, redrill & replace damaged mounts - all due to some "cowboy" with a drill press!

Besides the obvious part of doing the work, things often forgotten about by the customer are:

- Time speaking with the customer when dropping off, finding out the work that needs to be done and getting their info. This could be 5 mins or if you get a talkative retired guy it could take hours. This is where it pays to have some sort of admin person to take care of that stuff. They of course need to be paid.
              - The firearm needs to be logged into a bound/repair book.
              - Firearm will need to be stored, unless the work is to be done immediately. (Any gunsmith worth his salt is probably going to have a backlog.) The smith will need to (or should) have insurance coverage for your items whilst they are being stored. Don't forget liability insurance for the work to be carried out. Once you work on a firearm, you pretty well own it liability wise until someone else works on it.
              -The firearm will need to be disassembled. We also use this time to inspect for other problems. If it's something simple, like lack of oil, we'll note it down and just take care of it during reassembly. If it's more serious like broken or dangerous parts, the customer will have to be contacted. This happens a lot more than you think.
              - After the work is done, the firearm will need to be reassembled.
              - Customer will need to be contacted.
              - Someone will need to speak with the customer when it's picked up as well as take payment and make out a receipt.
              - It will need to be logged out of the bound/repair book.

Comment

For a qualified person to work on your "Pride n Joy" drilling holes in an Action then $120 is cheap if they know what they are doing. Way more to it than just drilling and tapping holes......

All the reasons just above.

I have seen and heard of numerous blunders by inexperienced people trying to believe they are a "Gunsmith"....

Pay the money and rest easy. Bet you wouldn't like to find out your scope is out of alignment if someone stuffed up that had no clue.

Comment

Don't for (insert deity of your choice here) take it to a local mechanic. $120 is OK. Cheap really.

Don't forget that the action is hardened and tempered, so you need the correct grade of tap. The setting up of your pride and joy will take a while as the action will need to be clocked true in a milling machine prior to drilling and tapping. It's certainly not a 5 minute job if you want it done right..

Comment

not been smart why don't you do it your self take your time don't rush double check every thing

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by pisco" post=19433
                      not been smart why don't you do it your self take your time don't rush double check every thing
                      because http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/ask-a-gunsmith-a-question/1837-how-to-remove-broken-tap-in-reciever

steve
                  Working...
                  X