Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lightweight long range tikka in .284?

Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of building up a dedicated long range hunting setup down the track and I didn't want the recoil and short barrel life of an overbore cartridge or a magnum and i prefer a shorter action length so I thought the 284 might be a good intermediate cartridge - if i used a manners elite Hunter series of stocks and a 24 inch light or possibly medium palma contour i could probably keep the scoped rifle weight around 10.5lbs which would make it relatively mild to shoot unbraked and easy to carry - i think is perfect for this type of rifle.

the problem is you don't seem to be able to get the most from the 284 in a short action and it's too short for a long action. I like the specs of the round and I want to shoot a 168gr 7mm bullet close to 2900fps.

I was wondering if it was possible to use a short action tikka but file the bolt stop back to make the bolt throw a medium length but run a long action aftermarket dbm? I've got to say the more familiar I am with the idiosyncracies of the tikka action, the more I like it! It's also lighterthan a Remington clone

Also whats the brass availability like with the 284? I can't recall seeing 284 brass in any lgs ever! is necking up 6.5x284 lapua stuff the only real option?

Any help much appreciated

I not a Tikka owner so please forgive me if I am miles off.

The T3 action's are all long and feature bolt stops at different point to shorten or lengthen the stroke.
    This means you can easily chamber your Tikka to 284win.

In regards to the magazine I am to the understanding that if the 284OAL is equal or less than the largest of the factory chamberings then you will be able to find a mag to fit and funtion.

Will it allow pills to be seated out into space ? I am not so sure.
    From the Tikkas I have handled they have been very short in the mag when it comes to cycling hand loaded rounds.
    This is where you may invest in aftermarket items that allow a little more length,

Well thats my story and I am sticking to it (until proven wrong :P )

6061Steve has a 284win Tikka T3. Might be worth picking his brain.
    By memory his is only a single feeder though.

JH

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by John23" post=17164
      I not a Tikka owner so please forgive me if I am miles off.

The T3 action's are all long and feature bolt stops at different point to shorten or lengthen the stroke.
      This means you can easily chamber your Tikka to 284win.

In regards to the magazine I am to the understanding that if the 284OAL is equal or less than the largest of the factory chamberings then you will be able to find a mag to fit and funtion.

Will it allow pills to be seated out into space ? I am not so sure.
      From the Tikkas I have handled they have been very short in the mag when it comes to cycling hand loaded rounds.
      This is where you may invest in aftermarket items that allow a little more length,

Well thats my story and I am sticking to it (until proven wrong :P )

6061Steve has a 284win Tikka T3. Might be worth picking his brain.
      By memory his is only a single feeder though.

JH
      Thanks for the quick reply John- yeah the tikkas just use a different length of bolt stop and the same action length. I think even the shortest long action mag is longer than what you need for a 284 (so you don't run into the issue of deep seated vlds eating up all the case capacity)

Thanks for the heads up re: Steve -hopefully he sees this post and replies.

Steve I need your help again please!

I'd be avoiding anything that's hard to find like brass ect of a odd size, I don't even want to bother with .20 pellets anymore! Just a .308?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by chewtah" post=17165
      I'd be avoiding anything that's hard to find like brass ect of a odd size, I don't even want to bother with .20 pellets anymore! Just a .308?
      lol I already have a 7mm08 built to similar specs! Just need a few hundred metres extra reach... Or high bc bullets that kill reliably at 1400fps...

284win brass is easy to make.

Lapua makes 6.5-284 brass which can be necked up to 284 win.
    I think this still requires neck turning ect.

JH

Comment

Homer is on the money.

1/ Buy a T3 in 7/08.

2/ Buy the 30/06 length T3 magazine box, adjust the magazine stop correctly.

3/ Have a gunsmith drop a 280 AI reamer into your 7/08 barrel.

4/ Load and shoot.

Or just bite the bullet and build a custom gun that is exactly what you want.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by adamjp" post=17211
        Homer is on the money.

Or just bite the bullet and build a custom gun that is exactly what you want.
        I'm possibly completely wrong but weighing everything up a trued tikka action still makes more sense to me than a full custom for a long range hunting rifle. It sort of fits the description of what i want better than a custom since weight is a consideration and it doesn't have to be benchrest accurate.

it's lighter, cheaper, barrel tenon is the same length, comes with an excellent trigger already attached and it is accurate enough (with an aftermarket barrel I'm guessing groups averaging under the 0.3's wouldn't be out of the question)
    Working...
    X