Tikka T3 trigger FYI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tikka T3 trigger FYI

Hi all, thought i'd put together a quick thread on adjusting and replacing the T3 trigger spring, the usual caviet applies so if you are not capable of performing any of these adjustments yourself please have a gunamith do it for you.

One of the things going for the T3 models is the excellent factory trigger. It's crisp straight from the box and can be easily adjusted by the owner down to around 2lbs with out removing the action from the stock

Here you can make out a cutout inside the magwell into which a 2.5mm allen key can be inserted. By rotating the screw anti-clockwise the trigger can be lightened. At the end of the screws travel it will hit the trigger mounting screw limiting it to around 1 1/2lb - 2lb.

Initially when I played with these triggers it was on my .223 Stainless Varmint. At the time there was no commercially available aftermarket springs . My solution was to reduce both the diameter and the height of the mounting screw allowing the trigger adjusting screw to move further out, lightening the standard spring to just over 1lb.

Here you can see the trigger adjusting screw, the standard and the Yodave springs and the plunger that the spring acts upon. You can see the modified mounting screw, this also allows you to remove trigger springs without removing the trigger unit from the action

In adjusting the trigger with the Yodave trigger I have found it possible to get a trigger pull of around 13oz (remember there's 16ox in a pound) however i was not happy with the consistency with it set this light. I found it broke anywhere between 12oz and 14oz, noticeable to the touch. Also at 13oz the bolt sometimes decocked on closing, most undesirable.

By winding the adjusting screw in slightly (around 1/4 of a turn) the trigger broke at around 1lb and quite consistently so without the decocking issue

My standard testing procedure for a trigger adjustment is to close the bolt on an empty chamber and the tap around with a rubber mallet trying to get the trigger to break. a couple of gently taps on both the rear and front of the action and on top and the bottom ensures the rifle will not fire unless the trigger is pulled.

Now it should be noted that this is primarily a hunting gun these days and for a lot of shooters a 1lb trigger is not desirable to carry around however I am very familiar with this gun and have fired close to 8,000 rounds through it (between this 7-08 and my previous .223 Varmint) in the field but mostly at ranges in competition. I never put my finger into the trigger guard until I am ready to fire at the target be it paper, steel or beast.

Just to show what this combo is capable of here's some targets shot with it,

Shot at SIlverdale at 200m during load testing for the Hornady 162gr AMax

This group also shot at silverdale but with my metallic silhouette load at 200m, this group shot with the standard spring and the trigger set at 2lb as per hunter class rules

This group was shot during my first load development for a hunting load with the 7-08. 200m again with the nosler balistic tip 120gr.

Thanks for taking the time to read and i hope this is helpful for Tikka T3 owners wondering how to adjust their triggers

Steve

Nice one Steve, but I read that to get the spring screw out you have to unscrew the trigger hex bolt that attaches the trigger to the action, right?
    I tried the factory spring screwed all the way out today & it was ok but would still like it a bit light so I will be putting in the yo-dave one in soon to give it a try!
    I will definitely be weary of the ability for the thing to go off if adjusted to lightly!
    Thanks again.

Aus.

Comment

Hi Steve,
      Thanks for the post - very useful info.
      I have some of these springs to install but have not got around to it yet.
      Sounds like I have to remove the bolt holding the trigger assembly on ?

Do you know if changing the spring on a set trigger model will affect only the
      main trigger pull? or will it alter the set trigger weight as well?
      Any caveats re the set trigger b4 i start messing around?

cheers
      bw

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Bullwinkle" post=24787
        Hi Steve,
        Thanks for the post - very useful info.
        I have some of these springs to install but have not got around to it yet.
        Sounds like I have to remove the bolt holding the trigger assembly on ?

Do you know if changing the spring on a set trigger model will affect only the
        main trigger pull? or will it alter the set trigger weight as well?
        Any caveats re the set trigger b4 i start messing around?

cheers
        bw
        Hey BW

I'm not familiar with the tikka set trigger so can't comment there. I assume there is one extra spring that controls the set trigger and its adjustment is separate. If you PM me I can give you a contact for someone who has worked with a tikka set trigger

Steve

Well I got my gear out today and changed the springs on my Tikkas. 2 set trigger models and 2 normal ones>
      The sets were exactly the same as the non sets and were a piece of cake to change.
      I had to remove the bolt that holds the trigger assembly on on each one. No dramas.
      It has lightened up the triggers nicely.
      Its hard to tell if the weight of the set trigger has changed as I have no way to measure it.
      When I get a trigger pull gauge I will set them up to be the same.
      Seems like a good mod for $10 each.

cheers
      bw

Comment

Working...
      X