Build Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build Time?

Well howdy folks, Jed here with a question for a Gunsmith.

Q. Why does it take so darn long to build somethin' with so few parts? I reckon most would have to be all of 5 to 8 bits tops?

Now, I'm a patient man and understand that good ol' things come to good ol' boys who wait. But I have a younger (Jethro) who ain't so patient but I reckons has been patient enough. Nigh on two years ago he sourced a 'Smithy' to build heself a rifle. Paid one quarter the price of the darn thing as a deposit and is still waitin'!

The reason I be askin', is coz I's a bit of a constructor meself. Last major project was a 1.1 million dollar build that took only 11.5 months from whoa to go. Current 4 town house project refurbishment and reno with a price tag of just over a cool million will be completed in 9 months. Sheeit it I's coulda built a youngun' in that time if I wasn't so long in the tooth. Yet poor ol' Jethro cain't get a rifle built for a measly ol' 4 grand in nigh on two years.

Dang! What could be so hard with so few bits and chicken feed for cost? Are them thar Smithys' building space shuttles or do they like catchin' zzz's like beaners?

Smithys' fall all over Ol' Jed when they see's him comin'. But that poor young Jethro must need a hour or two in the tub, with Granny on a the end of a scrubbin' brush I reckon... What do y'all reckon?

Jed.

If the Gunsmith's name is Shane then he is swamped with work, no spare time and he's giving up the game. Anyone else then they have probably taken on too much work and can't say NO when someone wants something done.

As far as time goes for a Custom Build, well most items come from the USA and there is a long wait for production. Like, I'm waiting for a Pac-Nor Barrel which was quoted as 6 months at least to be made. Then wait for my Gunsmith to find time to do his bit like chambering.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi jed I think many just keep flappin those gums no forward planning ordering and the biggest no comunication (mushroom time) I spoke to out mate gaz he said grab the action leave the stock and say good ridens old timer. If yall want somtin dun du it yuself eh

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Mega" post=1162
      If the Gunsmith's name is Shane then he is swamped with work, no spare time and he's giving up the game. Anyone else then they have probably taken on too much work and can't say NO when someone wants something done.

As far as time goes for a Custom Build, well most items come from the USA and there is a long wait for production. Like, I'm waiting for a Pac-Nor Barrel which was quoted as 6 months at least to be made. Then wait for my Gunsmith to find time to do his bit like chambering.
      Howdy Mega... I reckons we won't be having to name names pardner. That gits us nowhere but slapped on the hand with Granny's cookin' spoon.

Now, as I said... I's a patient man but nigh on two year, is time some old fellas' just may not get back. Yup, Jethro is younger and a little dumber. But I reckon he's only dumber coz he tried to be patient like his ol' Uncle Jed.

I must have been blessed.....

This Custom Stolle was ordered from a Gunsmith in Brisbane 13/12/11 and was finished ready to post on 24/01/12. One month and a half beginning to end. I must admit all the components were in stock at the time of initial order and Xmas / New Year break in the middle.

Comment

I wouldn't say 'blessed', coz it ain't got all that fancy Beverly Hills bling. A fair 4 months from whoa to go and Brissy again.

I'd would say 'blessed' coz the darn things shoots real fine.

Jed.

Attached Files

Comment

• S12A
        S12A commented
        Editing a comment
        some of the stocks makers at the moment have 8 month wait times such as Mcmillan and Manners, i couldn't imagine why a gunsmith wouldn't order all parts necessary and do work progressively as parts arrive. 8 months seems ok to me , but any longer just seems strange.

You can take classes at some gunsmith shops in the USA such as Gradous where you bring all the components and make a full custom build in days with his supervision.

i think they are just taking advantage of people, hardly any 'smiths elsewhere ask for deposits on work too.

The bit at the front I can do.....

Works fine for Varminting .... just got to keep remembering about the 1.5oz Jewell BR Trigger....

Comment

The specific Gunsmith for my build asked for 10% once he was ready to start work. I think that's fair as is in my view a confirmation that you want to go ahead and not pull out after he has spent his time and money on the work / components.

I was very pleased with the paperwork that was supplied too, like a complete list of work, warnings on tight neck chamber, suggested bushing to use, maximum case size and a full copy of the Reamer Print used.

Others I know supply very basic information.

Comment

Send it up here there Jed
          Fish has a big hammer and a 9 inch grinda if I cant fix it rough anugh for the bush I sure will stuff it up for you
          Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            The smithy beat you to it fish

howdy everyone granny think you be sended that action of your to them fellas at maddco to fit a tube for 250/300bucks.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            HAHAHAHA hey granny were's ellemay we have regular bango player thing going here dont we yeah probly will its saving me ship load of coin in ammo not having running :lol:

It depends what you want quite often there is a wait for a slot with a good smith one fellow I use a bit currently isn't taking on jobs till he gets wait time till starting jobs under three months... good smiths are busy.

I have three builds on the go right now one has been ongoing since 2010 and I'm still waiting thats no problem I've asked the smith to build me something a bit odd.

I have another going that I commissions back in mid 2011 and although I don't know where my smith is at with it I do know he has started work on it because he emailed me just the other week asking about trigger group.

Then finally the last build I commissioned I was quoted at least 18 months time till completion due to work load.

If you want good stuff sometimes you just have to wait.

Comment

Working...
          X