Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knicks in new Tikka chamber

Hi,

Just picked up my new Tikka T3 Lite SS in 6.5x55 Swede. Havent even chambered a round yet but noticed these marks/indents inside the chamber- the pic shows them at about 7 ,8 and 12 o'clock looking down the bore Are they anything to worry about in terms of accuracy or safety, or purely cosmetic?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	58351

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Chamber a cartridge and see what happens. If that's all good just shoot the thing. Don't think breach integrity will be an issue. They have already had a few high pressure cartridges through it at the factory.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser" post=47028
      Hi,

Just picked up my new Tikka T3 Lite SS in 6.5x55 Swede. Havent even chambered a round yet but noticed these marks/indents inside the chamber- the pic shows them at about 7 ,8 and 12 o'clock looking down the bore Are they anything to worry about in terms of accuracy or safety, or purely cosmetic?

Cheers and Merry Christmas
      Very hard to get a good feel via iPhone pic, but you may get marks on your chase and possibly hard extraction. A nice chamfer will take care of this, and I would consider taking it back as a warranty job.
      Attached Files

Comment

Bolt action is smooth when cycling empty, but it won't chamber a round and I don't want to force it too hard. What I mean to say is bolt will travel forward with no resistance but will not cam down (significant resistance.) I've tried with two different types of factory ammo Remington Corelocks 140gn and Hornady 140gn and a dummy handload with fully resized virgin Lapua brass.
        Does this mean I have a tight chamber and need to bump the shoulder down even more than spec? Ive been told that the T3 is quite long throated so I didnt think the bullet would be hitting the lands with factory rounds below max OAL.

Comment

• Sambar Country
          Sambar Country commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Kaiser" post=47056
          Bolt action is smooth when cycling empty, but it won't chamber a round and I don't want to force it too hard. What I mean to say is bolt will travel forward with no resistance but will not cam down (significant resistance.) I've tried with two different types of factory ammo Remington Corelocks 140gn and Hornady 140gn and a dummy handload with fully resized virgin Lapua brass.
          Does this mean I have a tight chamber and need to bump the shoulder down even more than spec? Ive been told that the T3 is quite long throated so I didnt think the bullet would be hitting the lands with factory rounds below max OAL.
          Take it back...warranty job mate. Tikkas don't normally do that...I've got two.

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          If you can't chamber factory ammo or ammo loaded to saami spec then there's something wrong (I would take it back if this is the case)

• Zook60
          Zook60 commented
          Editing a comment
          Your not the only one mate my 308 was exactly the same. Very hard to chamber Highlander and federal blue ammo.I made up a dummy round with the projectile seated out as far as I could in a FLS case and it chambered perfectly. I sent it back before Christmas they had it about 6 weeks.
          The gun shop wouldn't tell me what the problem was with it was so I emailed Beretta and they said that there gunsmith could not find any problems with it.
          It still wont chamber the highland and federal ammo I have in the safe but it will chamber all my FLS cases. Im going to buy some Remington factoryy ammo and if that wont chamber its going back again.
          Im less than impressed as It means I have to do the 200km rounds trip again to drop it off.
          I haven't looked into the chamber tho I will have a look later and see if it has the same marks as yours.

Bugger. So much for any early Xmas present. I had to wait three months for this one to come into Aus. Hope the warranty wait isn't as long as that. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• Walter White
          Walter White commented
          Editing a comment
          I've had some experience with Berettas warranty service and its top notch mate. They'll sort it.

I don't think it should be a warranty job. The rifle hasn't even chambered a round yet. If its a factory defect then tikka should replace the rifle and this one sent back to them with a "thanks but no thanks better luck next time" note attached. Maybe it was made on Monday

Comment

As others have said take it back to the Gun shop - sounds like something isn't right. Beretta will look after you mate, they are great people to deal with.
          Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

There are a few dud Tikka's out there.
            If you buy one that is not as accurate as it should be or does not function like this one. Then take it back, its the only way that they will lift their game.
            I am sure Beretta will look after you.

Comment

Well I finally got factory ammo and empty resized cases chambering with only mild to moderate resistance. I think it was a combination of some operator error and poor quality Remington ammo. Just a bit more snug fit than I'm used to with other rifles.
              So just those knicks that I originally mentioned- once I get my Talley rings I'll scope it and see how it groups. If it's consistent I guess I wont worry about the little marks. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Kaiser" post=47276
                Well I finally got factory ammo and empty resized cases chambering with only mild to moderate resistance. I think it was a combination of some operator error and poor quality Remington ammo. Just a bit more snug fit than I'm used to with other rifles.
                So just those knicks that I originally mentioned- once I get my Talley rings I'll scope it and see how it groups. If it's consistent I guess I wont worry about the little marks. Thanks for the help!
                I forgot to mention since it was a while back that when I was sighting in, a few Remington rounds wouldnt chamber due to the soft point being poorly 'finished' if you will.

Shoulda bought a Remington 700 :lol:

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                [/table]
                Originally posted by Movealongnothingtoseehere" post=47336
                Shoulda bought a Remington 700 :lol:
                Yeah, that will fix it........

Sorry. That was for all the Tikka fanboys that seem to plague shooting forums. :P

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Movealongnothingtoseehere" post=47339
                Sorry. That was for all the Tikka fanboys that seem to plague shooting forums. :P
                That's ok, my dons 223 Remington SPS is a piece of crap. It happens.

The fix for this issue is running a reamer in the chamber, to clean up the Knicks, and a small chamfer on the mourh of the chamber to visually make them disappear. The OP can't be bothered returning it, so be it.

Never had a problem with Remington Core Lokts SP......seem to be a pretty reliable cartridge.
              I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• Varminator
                Varminator commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=47787
                Never had a problem with Remington Core Lokts SP......seem to be a pretty reliable cartridge.
                Same here, never had any issues with any factory ammo ever, I'd still be taking it back as something doesn't sound right. It wouldn't be the first time the machining hasn't been done right, not much good having a rifle that may or may not feed ammo ok.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Embarrasingly I think this comes down to operator error as I wasn't pushing the bolt firmly enough forward before locking the bolt down. That last mm or two as the extractor claw gets a hold of the case head lip I guess. All rounds now chamber fine- although all that Remingtom brass sure looks banged up compared to my oh so shiny Lapua stuff haha.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Look at the cases you have chambered. You may find Knicks/scratches on the, in particularly near the rim, and slightly forward of the chamfer.

Yes, there are marks running lengthways along the casing. Are they indicative of a problem?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-12-28.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	59197

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Kaiser" post=47931
                Yes, there are marks running lengthways along the casing. Are they indicative of a problem?
                More than likely caused by the Knicks. Refer to my original post....
                Attached Files

• WhelanLad
                WhelanLad commented
                Editing a comment
                []
                As far as im concerned with those "marks running lengthways" , many of my Rifles do this upon sliding the bolt forward, my Abolt does it from a sharp piece in the magazine, my hawkeye whelen did due to the bolt sliding over the ones in the mag, slight hit with wet n dry sorted it.

So it could be those marks in the chamber, but it doesn't necciserily mean that's the only thing causing that..

wl

btw- just take er back anyway, plastikkas ew

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Marks like that (your photo) can sometimes be caused by the magazine fingers & ramp into the chamber.
                Being as the Tikka mag is plastic [shudder] I'd doubt it is the mag fingers but could still be the ramp........not a big deal if it is.

Try pointing the muzzle downward & chamber one by hand, then roll the bolt & see if that is any different.

If it is. It will just need a little polishing on the ramp.
                Whether you choose to do this yourself or not is up to you.

Edit:-
                Whelan got me while typing that

Mick.

Thanks, I'll take it back and get it replaced or fixed.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Kaiser" post=47937
                Thanks, I'll take it back and get it replaced or fixed.
                Good decision. It's worth doing it right from the get go!
            Working...
            X