Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 223 barrel types

Which is better for target shooting ?.
    1 Stainless or ordinary steel barrels in the Howa.
    Why choose .... I know ease of cleaning etc ..is there other reasons to choose one over the other.
    Strings of fire are just 12 shots same as F Class or big bore.

2 Will the shorter varmint style action make much difference out to say 600 yds.

The idea is to shoot the shorter ranges up to say 6/700 yds with a 223 and use the 6.5 creed for the longer ranges.
    I have a choice of varmint profile in stainless or wait for a steel one to come in.
    All are expected to be 1 in 8 nothing less.

Info on the nett is a bit vague and some out of date as well .
    Help appreciated.

PS : I will be reloading 80 grn probably SST or similar.
    Last edited by NoFerals; 02-11-2020, 09:28 PM.
    [center]
    Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

You'll be right with a tikka 1-8 as long as your not mag feeding them if you do your restricted. Unless you use a after market DBM. Using AI mags.

The tikka are throated long to acomidate seating pills out there.

The howa I had original 1-12 I used for roo back up was throated short only for 55 grain pills, didn't know Howa offered 1-8 twist. I know a few years back they offered 1-9 twist.

A Savage is also a good option for similar money come with 30" 1-7 twist for the 90 VLDs. But are single shots only, so no worries about mag issues.

600yards No problems. Get out too 1000 and more it's not the gravity your got to worry about it's how good you can read the wind.

Comment

Stainless is just easy to not fuss over.

Blue or stainless is personal preference, not much money in it between the two,

I'm lazy, and don't clean my guns after every outing. I'll just run a oil patch after shooting. Give a good clean when required.

If you got the time blue if your not so anal on cleaning stainless. Again personal choice NF

Comment

Originally posted by Skip View Post
        Stainless is just easy to not fuss over.

Blue or stainless is personal preference, not much money in it between the two,

I'm lazy, and don't clean my guns after every outing. I'll just run a oil patch after shooting. Give a good clean when required.

If you got the time blue if your not so anal on cleaning stainless. Again personal choice NF
        Thanks Skip.
        Sounds good all round.
        The reason to go 223 is simple enough.
        1/2 the cost ...1/2 the recoil. ......1/2 the noise..... and twice the fun.

Reading wind has never been a strong point for me so as I get a bit less comfortable with all the weight and cost I am thinking along the lines of just hold and squeeze sounds good and I can get this wind reading thing polished up with out other distractions.
        Hunter class off a bipod is all new as well but from a bench it works pretty well ....better than I thought it would.

Cheers M8
        [center]
        Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Although they will all shoot 1,000m on Facebook with their .223s like they shoot their 30-30s for precision 200yd shooting,
          I reckon you will be pushing it past 400 and they are very wind affected.
          You will get the shots on that big meter target but the scores will be what the old Fclass hands call rubbish.

I noticed the Howas are now 1:8 but not sure what pills they can spin.
          I shot my 24" Weatherby sporter at my first 3 and 400 days and grouped OK but could see the group growing at 400yds and wouldn't push it further.
          Besides pushing .223, the CM excels at the mid ranges like 5 and 600 and you are in with a chance of not dropping a shot.

Pretty sure the old Fclass .223 was super fast like 1:7 or more to shoot the heaviest target projies available.
          They would be long barrels to get the max velocity as well.
          All I have noticed is the bench rest blokes use short barrels, but they don't shoot that far, the Fclass riggs seem to all be long.

90% or more seem to be staino but not sure why.

Would be a good cheaper practice rifle for shooting plates and the short distance days if the Q store type mobs still sell the good target pills cheap.
          They only shoot 2 strings of 12 shots so ammo is no real issue.

I still haven't decided what to do with mine when it's shot out, maybe just a Swan sporter barrel and go again so it can still make a good hunter as well as a cheap shooting target tockley, maybe another 24'' as it just shot so accurate.

Comment

The Howa Mini 223 I brought was a 1 in 8 heavy barrel. Never fired a shot as a 223, but is extremely accurate as a 221 Fireball.
            How to make a small fortune out of farming?
            Start with a large one!

Comment

Have you given much more thought to the re-barrel Ferals.

It's funny what they can do with light conditions and the heavier pills, still more plate hit or miss than Fclass grouping IMO.
              Just seen Aussie review a Tikka Tac thing with a short barrel and open vented brake, could almost hear how loud it was on TV.
              He used some factory 69gr ammo and, I think, one heavier Fed round that it liked in the 1:8.
              Went to a 600 plate and smacked most shots on it.
              Then to 1,000 and impressed me hitting about 3 of 5 shots.

Comment

It`s all happening now.
                Howa 1500 heavy barrel varmint 1.8.> 24 inch.
                Bell and Carson stock.....ally bedding block plus a bit of extra round the lug and rear tang for good measure.
                24/25 grns of 2208 on top of Sierra SMK 69 grainers.
                8.5 25x50 leupold VHR or target dot for optics .....Night-force mounts with the level built in the top rear cap
                A friend swears by 80 grn Nosler with a bit more barrel on an Omark build ... he can shoot rings around most of our club so some thing must be right there.
                An Atlas bipod offf the bench and away we go .

Sort of emulate field > hunter class for geriatrics off the bench out to around 600 yds .

The 6.5 creed takes over from there on to 900.
                I know that shoots better than me.
                Its all a learning curve as I never had faith in bipods and avoided them till now.......How wrong I was they shoot like stink with out rear bag to stuff up the trigger hand >grip .etc and a bit of a strap from the legs back to pull it down and back just a tad........use the flat of the back of me hand under the pistol grip for elevation.

Works for me
                [center]

Comment

Yeah, I did OK belly-flopping with the shorter 6-9" Harris, I quite liked it and sturdy compared to the 9-13.
                  Still used a rear bag but pretty basic considering what the F- Standard blokes use.
                  I still reckon you better put the Creed in the boot if there is any real wind much past about 400.

They just started the hunter class with about 4 blokes grouped up but I was left as F-Open shooting with the old hands with scopes doing F-Standard.
                  Was worse as more blokes and fewer targets meant full arvos for the same 2 strings, then FAR shut them down.

Comment

Working...
                  X