Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin Grubber Screws

Hi All,

I am trying to install some ghost-ring sights on my Marlin 336 and the grubber screws on the receiver and on the front sight are too tight to remove with my small flat head screwdriver. They are in fact so tight that the tip of they have bent the tip of the screwdriver and it has started to damage the slots on the screws, so I have stopped trying for now. Can anybody advise what sort of screwdriver I should use to get them out please?

Regards
    SG
    "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Perhaps you are having difficulty because the screws are loctited. No personal experience with 336 but that is my guess. It could take heat to soften the threadlocker. Grind a new tip on your screw driver or buy a new one. You can see that you need "accessories", when you buy a gun can't you?
    To soften the loctite, heat a piece of #8 wire with your blowtorch (another accessory ) and hold the hot end against the screw for 1/2 minute. Apply the new screwdriver.
    Good Luck

Comment

• Shotgunner
      Shotgunner commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by okeefenokee" post=42549
      Perhaps you are having difficulty because the screws are loctited. No personal experience with 336 but that is my guess. It could take heat to soften the threadlocker. Grind a new tip on your screw driver or buy a new one. You can see that you need "accessories", when you buy a gun can't you?
      To soften the loctite, heat a piece of #8 wire with your blowtorch (another accessory ) and hold the hot end against the screw for 1/2 minute. Apply the new screwdriver.
      Good Luck
      Thanks Mate.

Yes, I am collecting accessories at a tremendous rate, though I think I will try my BBQ as a blowtorch :P

Problem solved with the assistance of the good people at the Queensland Gun Exchange, when in doubt go to the professionals!
    "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

I use a butane soldering iron with a flat tip to heat up the boiled linseed oil Uberti use as threadlocker.

Comment

Working...
      X