diy blueing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diy blueing?

Hi, just wondering if anyone has blued a full rifle with any products like birchwood Casey's ( think it's perma blue?) or anything similar? I've rang a Smith and would love to get it done by him but I just can't afford it. Is it pretty easy to use and does it come out looking good? Cheers
    It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkey's

It's doable but it doesn't last as long as a proper blue job by a smith. It wears off easily.
    Hard to apply over as full barrel so as not to get streaks.
    Trick is keeping everything spotless during application.
    Best suited to touch ups.

For a proper hot blue job by a smith, the majority of the work is in the preparation - the polishing.
    If you were to do the most of that yourself, I wonder if they'd be happy to throw it into their tanks for a reduced price.

Take a look for "How to rust blue a rifle", on the Midway website.
    I think I'll try it on the next project I tackle.

Comment

• Pitty
      Pitty commented
      Editing a comment
      Like Nigel said, its a touch up at best! There are a few recipes getting about though, have a look at this link
      http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=275121

No worries, thanks guys. I'll just hold off and get the gunsmith to do it properly then I can't go wrong.
    It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkey's

Comment

Originally posted by billygoat-gruff" post=29625
      Hi, just wondering if anyone has blued a full rifle with any products like birchwood Casey's ( think it's perma blue?) or anything similar? I've rang a Smith and would love to get it done by him but I just can't afford it. Is it pretty easy to use and does it come out looking good? Cheers
      Birchwood Casey's Perma blue is a cold blue product and is really made for touch up work. It will never compare to hot blueing as far as durability, longevity and rust protection goes. Setting up to do hot blueing is probably going to be more than what you've been quoted to do the job. Are we talking a rifle or a pistol?

Comment

• billygoat-gruff
        billygoat-gruff commented
        Editing a comment
        Old Winchester 1906 Pumpy, I rang a while ago and he said he could do hot salts blueing, or another finish I can't remember. The quote for blueing was 250-300 if I remember correctly

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9364_2013-11-14.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	43126
      Perma blu finish will be inconsistent if you are gonna do the whole rifle if its a rifle that means something to you get it done with hot blue process the pictures below are bluing I did myself with hot blu makes it all worth while rather than using perma blu which is mainly used for touch ups
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3423_2013-11-14.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	43125

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by cazour " post=29983
        the pictures below are bluing I did myself with hot blu makes it all worth while
        Nice job - tell us a bit more about your hot bluing.
        I don't think it's something I'd want to set up myself.
    Working...
    X