getting a barrel shortened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting a barrel shortened

As I posted in another thread im looking into getting a Tikka varmint In 20" . Currently there are none in stock with factory 20" barrels and 1:8 twists .
    So my next option is a tikka 1:8 blued crmo varmint in 23 " .
    I want to get it chopped to 20" and re crowned . My question is will I decrease accuracy by getting it shortened ?

the short answer is no.

the long answer is it will increase the frequency of the harmonic vibrations but decrease the amplitude (ie, the barrel will vibrate more times before the before the bullet leaves the barrel but the total distance it whips will be lower) - in theory it should make it easier to find a good load for it.

I have an LTR with a 20inch barrel and I shortened my tikka barrel to 20inches - both shoot at or under 0.5moa

Comment

• M77
      M77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool . So as long as the gunsmith does his part I guess ill be fine

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by nuthead" post=29431
      the short answer is no.

the long answer is it will increase the frequency of the harmonic vibrations but decrease the amplitude (ie, the barrel will vibrate more times before the before the bullet leaves the barrel but the total distance it whips will be lower) - in theory it should make it easier to find a good load for it.

I have an LTR with a 20inch barrel and I shortened my tikka barrel to 20inches - both shoot at or under 0.5moa
      A good concise explanation!

awesome to hear as I am just in the process of getting my barrels shortened as well.... hope it is just as good for the .22lr and the .308

what is the result if you go even shorter to the 17inch barrell

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Taz" post=29524
      awesome to hear as I am just in the process of getting my barrels shortened as well.... hope it is just as good for the .22lr and the .308

check this out taz - has some info for 22lrs and the 223 (i think its starts from 18inches though) http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/calibers.html it's generally quoted that 22's reach optimal velocity in a 16 inch barrel but from their results it seems like 13 inches is good enough even for hv ammo (some hyper velocity rounds need a little more length)

also this with the 223 (starting from 22 inches) 223 barrel length test

and this for the 308 and 300wm tacops article 308 barrel length keep in mind that this is for factory ammo though - I haven't personally tested it but I'm confident that you can squeeze more velocity out of a longer barrel with handloads. for me I think the 308 has excessive muzzle blast under 20 inches - those short remington 7600's are LOUD!

• Zero
      Zero commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Taz" post=29524

2" increments seem to be the way to go when shortening barrels. My 17" Tikka shoots half minute but I suspect if it was an 18" barrel it'd shoot even better. Theres just something "off" about the harmonics of a 17" barrel, and I can't rightly describe it to you other than a gut feeling.

well i ordered the Tikka 223 in 20" .
    should have it in a week or two
    thanks for the replies will have a range report asap with the new Berger 77 and 82 grain pills i bought

Comment

So if I have a 26 inch 308 cut to 22 inches I won't harm the accuracy so long as the crowning job is good right? How much velocity am I likely to loose?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Movealongnothingtoseehere" post=31883
        So if I have a 26 inch 308 cut to 22 inches I won't harm the accuracy so long as the crowning job is good right? How much velocity am I likely to loose?
        you shouldn't lose any velocity with factory ammo - I'd happily own a 20 inch barreled 308 and not worry about velocity or muzzle blast (unless you had a very specific requirement for it like f class)

To compensate for the lopping off 4 inches I think I'll run 155 grainers instead of 168s and ADI 2206 instead of the usual 2208. That should help out a bit with the ballistics to about 600m right?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I just ran a chronographed ladder test for my mates 308 with a 20inch barrel - he was getting 2812fps with 2208 and 165gr SST's with absolutely zero pressure signs although his accuracy node was around 2750fps

that will keep you supersonic to 1000m (just) - if you had a twist rate that only barely stabilised your bullet you could get the bullet through the transonic zone without too much drama and go further if you wanted

20inches will easily get you to 600m with most of the usual bullets in a 308 (I'd rather use 168's than 155's at 600m)
    Working...
    X