Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is this 6.5x55 bolt face ?

Hi all fellow shooters
    I had a look at this bolt face the other day and noticed maybe some pitting or possible pressure marks it still shoots ok just wondering the good and bad of this
    thanks Clint

I have seen much worse. It just a cosmetic fault. It will leave some marks on the primer - all that means is you will be able to tell which rifle the brass is from.Nothing to worry about.
    If you're going through hell, keep going."
    Winston Churchill

Comment

looks like its seen a couple of blown/pierced primers before.
      but nothing that will effect it.
      were they already there when you got then gun?
      if so,....don't panic.
      if they've only just started to appear, review your ammo for possible poor quality primers or possibly over loading the cases, or old cases.

Comment

Are you running light loads ?

Comment

Thanks for the responses thats good news . I would say they were already there. Ive had this m96 6.5x55 about a year and only put about 40 rounds of federal game shoks 140 grn through it . I havent bothered to buy any dies or projectiles for it yet. I have had thoughts about onselling it to free some cash up and noticed the holes .The barrel looks to have been replaced at some stage ,it has a timney trigger , some sort of custom target stock a bit shabby thou , the bluing is real good. Came with a sterling scope on it and some sort of target turret on top of it. Was apparently used for some long dist comp think he mentioned 500 fly if that exists but it was from a deceased estate and sold by the guy that originally blued it in Tasmania .the stock is a little interesting will chuck up some pics
          Ps at this stage I am not looking to sell this rifle . It has to be blooded at least
          And I know I will never buy another 6.5x55 . I just find this one interesting and thought I would share some extra pics .any comments appreciated thanks Clint

Comment

took a little while had a poser in the back ground
            the stock kinda looks like one of no ferals :lol:

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Hilver mounts by the look of it (or Lynx)

Mick.

She's ruined mate, ya betta give the rifle to me! :P honestly though she's fine, I've got one that's had a few primers pierce and has a bit more erosion than that and it still shoots very well, a bit of pitting won't hurt anything, just leaves a light mark on the case is all.
            Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              I dont know why you wouldnt buy another 6.5x55 it has been a favored thorough Europe as a hunting caliber of choice since it was available.
              Americans have only in the past 5 years started to realise how good the 6.5x55 caliber really is for both target and hunting.

Being able to load from 80gn pills at 3400 fps to 160gn pills at 2600 fps fills the mid range rifle gap with mils surp ammo commonly available for it makes this calibre preferable to me over the .308.

Very minor mate, sometimes you will get that in your first 50 to 100 rounds.
            Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Someone should tell the Victorians how good they are so then they will be allowed to shoot Deer with them.

Could a gunsmith just TIG some metal on to the pitting and just face it of back to the original height? I'm just asking this for aesthetic reasons.

Comment

yes he could but it wouldn't be worth the expense.
              i spoke to a gunsmith on the exact same issue about 6 months ago.
              he told me that even he has a rifle like that and wouldn't bother with it himself.
              and he was fussy.
              so i figured it couldn't be that bad.

Comment

Yep Corrrect on the Hilliver mounts --solid as a rock too ( still got the box they came in, in the junk some where) .
                The same mounts can be fitted to a Carl Gustav Swede too but need a bit of devcon on the rear one as there is a slight taper in the action and rather than machine it out (that could be done with skill and good tools ) the mount sits tight on the front of the bridge so the air gap is just around the second screw near the safety -- only may be ten thou or so to pack out and all shoots good.
                Rather than heat and bend the big bolt handle down its easy enough to cut it off and re thread the stub and screw on a rectangular polished piece of duraflex a couple of inches or so long with the original knob drilled / tapped and screwed onto that.
                Lock the stub thread with bronze or silver solder and polish it all up.
                Leaves the bolt handle laying flat along side the wood and is neat as and works nifty too.

Sort of snuck the comment about the stock under the radar there :lol: -- I have had worse looking wood than that hanging off a good rifle at times.
                [center]
                Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Working...
                X