What the legality of building a rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the legality of building a rifle

So I have read on this forum (and others) of people getting new barrels, actions etc etc. Is it legal in Australia to build a rifle from new parts sourced, IE: an action, good barrel, trigger, stock, the whole kit and kaboodle and assemble it? Of course I'd send it to a gunsmith to have it "certified" as safe, headspaced etc, (and to check my work and fix any F-Ups) but as a learning exercise I think it would be a bit of fun to do.

Or do you have to be a licensed gunsmith to do this.

Been watching this thread with interest.
    I'm surprised theres been no input

Mick.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      For sure you'd need a lic, PTA and safe for the barrel (and any off cut!) no doubt the action too, as a round could be discharged from an action without a barrel attached.

Stock, no need for anything.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      In NSW, I believe a gunsmith is required to fit the barrel to the receiver and effect the initial registration of the barreled action, and carry out any modification to parts (barrels, triggers, etc). From my understanding, LAFOs can only legally undertake basic adjustments, general maintainance/preventative maintainance proceedures and fitment of non-crucial components such as stocks, optics bases, etc if I'm not mistaken. Also, I'm pretty sure that machining a barrel blank would be classed as manufacturing a firearm part, which is also a no-no for a non-gunsmith.

Each state differs

I will note the op is in NT

JH

Comment

• DeadMeat
      DeadMeat commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by John23" post=21112
      Each state differs

I will note the op is in NT

JH
      Im in the NT as well. The NT firearms act is a bit ambiguous in this regard, to my understanding. Basically, it sounds like 'do what you want, but if it f****s up, you're going to jail'.

FIREARMS ACT - SECT 61A
      Repair or modification of firearms
      (1) A person must not repair or modify a firearm unless the person is authorised to repair or modify the firearm by a licence or permit.

Maximum penalty: 2 000 penalty units or imprisonment for 10 years or, if the offence relates to a category A firearm or category B firearm, 1 000 penalty units or imprisonment for 5 years.

(2) A person must not repair or modify a prohibited firearm or pistol unless the person is authorised to repair or modify the prohibited firearm or pistol by a licence or permit.

Maximum penalty: 3 000 penalty units or imprisonment for 15 years.

(3) Without limiting subsection (1) or (2), those subsections apply to a person regardless of whether the firearm concerned was repaired or modified in the course of carrying on a business.

(4) In this section:

"repair or modification", of a firearm, does not include work performed by a person on a firearm registered in the name of the person if the work is not of a nature likely to affect the safe operation of the firearm.

Furthermore, in the event of an appearance in court to defend such a charge this excerpt from Section 76 of the Firearms Act: Unsafe Firearms.

(4) It is a defence to a prosecution for an offence against subsection (1) for the defendant to prove that he or she did not know and could not reasonably have known that the firearm was unsafe.

Anyone care to clarify?

What happens with those black powder rifle kits such as green river sell? I presume you need a PTA then the barrel or breechblock is registered?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thx GSR.
      Sounds about right but I would like to see it in the regs etc,

I guess chambering a replacement barrel in the same calibre for an my existing rifle could be an issue. Even though there is no change in rego details.

Mick.

Does that mean removing or tampering with the triggers Is out ?

Comment

• Stevo007
      Stevo007 commented
      Editing a comment
      all firearms legislation in all states is written so that the interpretation can be used against you ( they all ways seem to leave a little bit of fudge/grey area) when the need arises. If you have the monetary resources ..which most don't you fight it in court ..not often the LAFO wins............try ringing and getting a straight answer about something in the grey area ......then when you get a verbal decision ...try getting it in writing ,,

Thanks John. Off to the chiro now...... :lol:
    Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

Just thought I would add to the conversation.
      I received a letter from customs the other day requesting a b709a for the trueflite barrel they are holding for me. The letter explained that they knew I was licensed for the category. It seems a blank barrel is not exempt from needing a permit these days.
      I had the permit ready anyway (its free) and posted it the next day.

Comment

It says in the course of business.
        This could mean not allowed to charge for services. Working on your own could be ok.
        These things are not written for the ordinary bloke to understand.

edit. Just read the second part again. Better not manufacture a firearm, up to 10 years.

Comment

• jasmay
          jasmay commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Needbiggertargets" post=37459
          It says in the course of business.
          This could mean not allowed to charge for services. Working on your own could be ok.
          These things are not written for the ordinary bloke to understand.

edit. Just read the second part again. Better not manufacture a firearm, up to 10 years.
          Yep, first part is in relation to storage, 2nd is manufacture..... This also means trigger work according to a conversation with I just had with WLB.
      Working...
      X