Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Please - Muzzle brake + barrel threading - Sydney

Hi All,

Been toying with the idea of adding a muzzle brake to my 308. Was looking into the clamp on variety but now thinking a correctly fitted thread on style is a better option.

Can anyone suggest a smith or shop in Sydney that is capable of helping me out? Also wouldn't mind hearing others experiences.

Thanks
    Chris
    Yes.

Try site sponsor Profab.
    I got one of mine done there recently & & although it was a drive it was a 1 week turn around at the time.

Most of the others I asked said leave it with us for 6 weeks

Its one of those things where its a relatively simple 1 to 2 hour job with the right gear & knowledge!

Comment

• the_swads
      the_swads commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mate! I'll give them a buzz tomorrow and have chat.

I figured it can't be that hard with the right gear. Hopefully these guys can sort it out.

That boils my blood @aushunter. I had the worst experience getting my muzzlebrake fitted at a shop in Newcastle, it took 8wks! Originally told 2wks! And the final kick in the guts was finding out about a month later that Profab existed (thanks to the forum), embarrassingly they're only 20 minutes up the road from me at Seaham :'(
    Live and learn I guess

Comment

• 17Hornet
      17Hornet commented
      Editing a comment
      From another thread Skip put me onto an Ebay seller of Muzzlebreaks.
      http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/muzzlebrakeplanet/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
      They have many models.

No doubt the gun smith can turn one up, depends on costs to you which way you may want to go,
      He should get the profiles right and timing too, with a good finish, a professional job.

Off the shelf is a compromise for sure.

I bought this - arrived pronto too, quality is up there specially for the price, and they have a range

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170411_171238.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	270648

Name:	20170411_172217.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	270646

Name:	20170411_172334.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	270647

Thanks for all the advice guys and sorry for the belated reply. Probably should have started a new thread but yeah...

Ended up trying a Witt Machine clamp on. I like it so far, significant reduction in felt recoil and no marked affect on accuracy other than a fairly large shift in POI high and right @ 100 yards.

Only complaint is that it took months to get here! Literally...

Pics of it on the rifle and first group with factory loads (168gr Hornady Amax Match Superformance) below.

Name:	Brake_Close_Up.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	276386

Name:	Rifle_With_Brake.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	276388

Name:	First_Group_Post_Brake.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	276387
    Yes.

Comment

• 17Hornet
      17Hornet commented
      Editing a comment
      Jeez thats not a bad group, what did you do ? Hold the muzzle on the paper?

Glad to see you are happy with the brake.

Thanks Guys,

@Aushunter - me either, I wanted something fairly fast and most shops were quoting weeks to get the work I wanted done. Came across these guys on the net and they had some pretty decent reviews so I thought I'd give them a try.

No import permit. No customs stickers or notice. I think it was just shipping that was slow. Witt marked it as sent within a couple of days but the tracking number I got was useless as you couldn't track an international parcel.

Witt's support team were pretty useless also. They didn't respond to a single email. I'd actually given up on it turning up! It got here in the end but all things considered I probably would have got the rifle threaded and a brake fit properly. Oh well live and learn hey?!

@17Hornet - thanks! got a few rounds through this one now. I'd be upset if 5 weren't touching at 100!
    Yes.

Comment

• catman
      catman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey folks,does the barrel have to be threaded for these brakes?
      Not really sure on the setup thanks.

I feel sorry for you guys I thread barrels every day it takes 45 mins to thread, pending how thick your barrel is, shame I'm across the tasman

Comment

Faaark that mate... Takes ya four years to respond to an email.
      "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

• 17Hornet
        17Hornet commented
        Editing a comment
        Time has been suspended over there but the 'Black Triangle' aliens Herne.
        4yrs and 45min for a barrel to be threaded, cant be all that bad, as long as the thread runs the right way, after all its NZ we are talking about here.
        LOL
    Working...
    X