Tikka T3 magazine; adjusting spring tension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tikka T3 magazine; adjusting spring tension?

Hi guys, this question is regarding the factory 6-round polymer magazine (older model with the plastic feed lips) for a Tika T3 Varmint in .223rem. Despite all the horror stories regarding feeding issues with these magazines, mine has always functioned flawlessly until last weekend, where it will sometimes fail to feed the last two rounds (bolt doesn't strip the round from the mag) and I think I know what has caused this.

I use one of those plastic single-round loading ramps that is inserted into the magazine and sits on top of (and compresses) the follower when I occasionally shoot some F-class at the range, however I forgot to remove it the last time I used it and it sat in the magazine for a couple of months until I took the rifle out of the safe and went to use it a few days ago. Sooo, considering the mag still initially works fine when I load it up with the full 6 rounds and only plays up when I'm down to the last two I'm assuming that leaving the insert in the mag for a few months has compressed the magazine spring slightly resulting in insufficient tension to enable the last round or two to be reliably picked up by the bolt. When I press down on the follower it certainly feels like there's not as much resistance as there used to be until I push it down a centimetre or two.

So, is this just a simple matter of disassembling the magazine and adjusting the spring as I have previously done on some old rimfire mags that were playing up (I think that back in the day before it was a no-no they had spent most of the time loaded up with the full 10 rounds and the springs fully compressed), or is there more to it in this case (not too familiar with the set-up of theTikka mags yet).

Mine wasn't allowing me to feed the full 6 but I filed back the lower edges of the inside of the mag .a tip I read on the old forum . But now come to think of it we also had a few feeding issues with the last remaining rounds also . I assumed it was related to the earlier issue but we haven't used it for awhile . It could be three things combined the mag sitting a little low ,the mag spring to light and the feed lips too tight . Also have you removed the stock recently I'm guessing one of the reasons the mag could be sitting slightly low may be caused by poor stock fitment .
    Might get it out and test it tomorrow

Comment

I just got it out this morning and it also didn't like the last two rounds so wasn't my imagination
      It failed to feed the last two rounds consistently . I opened it up and found the back of the spring follower doesn't have any pressure on it as the spring expands so I removed the spring and turned it around and reassembled it and for today works flawlessly . It puts the top tip of the spring at the back of the follower .keeping the back of the round up for the bolt to catch . The springs are a little flimsy thou but mine is quite tight with number 6 . Let me know how you go with it or if you think there may be adverse affects from turning it around .thanks Clint

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Cruiser Country " post=19685
        I just got it out this morning and it also didn't like the last two rounds so wasn't my imagination
        It failed to feed the last two rounds consistently . I opened it up and found the back of the spring follower doesn't have any pressure on it as the spring expands so I removed the spring and turned it around and reassembled it and for today works flawlessly . It puts the top tip of the spring at the back of the follower .keeping the back of the round up for the bolt to catch . The springs are a little flimsy thou but mine is quite tight with number 6 . Let me know how you go with it or if you think there may be adverse affects from turning it around .thanks Clint
        Thanks for that mate; I'll try it out! Nah, haven't mucked around with the stock or anything else; the mag was functioning flawlessly until I stored it with the single-round loading ramp in the mag for almost 3 months, went to shoot it and suddenly it's got this problem out of the blue so I'm guessing the issue is all down to spring tension (or lack thereof).

I'll play around with the spring when I get a chance & see how I get on.

My sons had the same problem. I rang the importers and they replaced the mag with one that has metal inserts at the top. Give them a call before you start modifying it

Comment

Working...
      X