cerakote over hardchrome finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cerakote over hardchrome finish?

Hi I have a colt 1911 in a hard Chrome finish. My question is can you cerakote it? Or is there extra work involved in getting the Chrome of first?
    Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

The surfaces being coated will need to be lightly bead blasted to begin with, so I suspect the blasting process will remove the hard chrome and the pistol can be cerakoted as normal, maybe with a little extra charge for extra time spent blasting. Hard chrome doesn't come off easily like bluing or parkerising.
    Sometimes life gives you lambda points. Just chill, once the bubbling stops s'all good mate.

Brotha's got spinners!

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      G'Day Fella's,

JL, if I were you I would contact the Australian agent for Cerakote (SLR Coatings), and ask him.
      I apply the Air Dry version of Cerakote, to a number of products that I make etc, and you need to use a more abrasive product than Glass Beads to prepare a normal (steel etc) surface!
      I use Garnet, as the abrasive that I prepare metal surfaces with, prior to Cerakoting!!!
      Given that Hard Chrome is so hard, I'm not sure if either of the above will do the job, hence the above advice.

I hope that helps

Doh!
      Homer

Thanks for the help guys.
    Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

• adamjp
      adamjp commented
      Editing a comment
      Garnet will easily abrade and etch hard chrome.

With this preparation I would be happy to apply Cerakote H series over the top in whatever colour the customer wanted.
Working...
X