Barrel sleeving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel sleeving

Was wondering if anyone sleeves barrels anymore. The reason I ask is that I've been offered Martini Sportco hornet which is a rifle I've been looking for for a while , only problem is that the barrel is shagged. Was wondering about pro's & con's of sleeving or replacing the barrel. Though I'd love to keep all the origional markings. I have been offered a barrel out of a BSA sports 15 could this be made to work either as a sleeve (if it could be turned down) or rechambered to .22 hornet & fitted to the martini action?
    Over to you guys'n'gals

Hello!
    22 hornet is a different groove diameter to a 22LR, so it wouldn't be advisable to use the BSA barrel as a sleeve. The 22H is nominally .223"-224" and the 22LR is .221". There are gunsmiths out there that offer a sleeving service. I think Bad Ass Walace(member of this forum) imports barrel sleeves from America, it might be worth asking him about getting one in his next shipment.
    Hope this helps.
    Pilch303
    Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

I am presently importing sleeves around 4 per month - approx $170 + fitting ( Note:- I'm not set up for fitting yet!) 1 : 14" for the Hornet are listed

Hold still varmint, whilst I plugs ya!

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Alan Swan does sleeving, he is in queensland

As some one who is ignorant of these things, could say a worn out 38-40 Winchester 1892 barrel be resurrected by drilling out the existing barrel to 19/32" and then fixing a new 38-40 barrel sleeves inside? Same question for a 44-40?

Comment

I resleeved my old 26" barrelled 44/40 and rechambered it for 44 Special; holds 14 now and will hit a playing card at 50m every time.

From the list of available sleeves you can reline just about anything for half the cost of a new barrel. The next projects are a baby Snider in 360 Rook, and a Roberts & Sons 1883 38 Rook

Comment

• andyjm79
          andyjm79 commented
          Editing a comment
          So, its not a major job to sleeve a worn barrel and use it to fire the same cartridge as before, the smith just needs to ensure correct headspace?

Good day.

I'm looking at picking up a Winchester 52 with a worn barrel. Being a 22lr, can this rifle be resleeved?

Thank you

Comment

1:16"x 218/22 is on the list of available sleeves

Comment

Working...
          X