X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage VS Remington action

So i'm planing on building a custom rifle

and i'm tossing up between the remington action and the savage
    the whole project will be done by me and i have been told the savage is a lot better when it comes to barrel swaping

but the remington is a tryed and tested action

so if you were on a budget witch one would you go it's for a long range rifle

Do yourself the favor and stretch the budget im not a fan of either savage are just cheap and nasty and remington arent far off just my 2 cents sure others will say otherwise

Comment

Savage 12 comes in a single shot configuration with right bolt right port, right bolt left port options.
      The savage 12 also comes with target trigger which can be adjusted down to 6 ounces,

As for cheap and nasty.... I beg to differ.
      The fit and finish of my savage action is very good.
      Savage arms uses a floating bolt head. This self corrects the relationship with the bolt face and the chamber of the barrel.
      This is a perk but I would not say it is better than a proper trued action. Reading up on the savage action you will find that they are made pretty well and compared to remingtons do not need/benefit much from action truing.
      Also with the savage having a floating bolt head it means that it can be removed and fitted with one of a different size for cheap. This means you could buy savage a 223 bolt head or a magnum size and then spend $100 of for a nice custom bolt head of the correct size.
      With the remington you would have to machine the bolt face open or purchase a smaller bolt body which is all gunsmith fees again.

Remington..... it is a very old and very well proven action.
      Unfortunately though poor manufacture the QC of these actions are not the best and they may require a fair bit of truing (which all cost money) to get a good action.
      From what I have read time and time again if you want a custom remington you might as well just buy a stiller or peirce action.
      Once the remington has undergone all its work it will cost the same as the off the shelf custom.
      One thing to consider with the remington is that the triggers are pretty poor. So when considering a purchase ad $200-$400 on top of the cost to cover a upgrade to the factory item.
      Unless you find a 40x action it will be a repeater. This is also another thing a target/long range shooter has to deal with.
      The rifle will need a loading block or will have to be carefully be hand fed.
      If you want a repeater this is fine but you will then need to consider a after market BDM that will allow longer bullets to fit in the magazine and cycle. This will also had a few hundred plus dollars for parts and inleting.
      I personally see no point in repeaters (unless hunting) as a single shot actions can be worked just as fast and if used in competition are required as mag feed is not allowed.

It seems I put the rem down? No
      The trigger and the mag issues could be applied to the savage if you purchased a model 10.

I am mainly promoting the savage mod 12 as it is pretty much ready good to go out of the box and is a nice cheap option.

As for savage be easy to swap barrels...
      Savage barrels use a lock nut to set the headspace. This means a barrel can be pulled off one savage and fit to another.
      Most of the time when people fit a custom barrel to a savage they revert back to a standard design and use a action wrench and barrel vice to swap barrels as you would on the remington or any other rifle.

Seeing you want to go custom I would be looking for a second hand savage 12 action and fitting a nice new barrel , stock or what ever you want.
      I purchased my sav 12 Fclass for $990 (which is a steal) . most of the time people sell them for around $1800.
      I would be offing $1200-$1400 for these rifle as they are only $1800-$2000 new.

As for rem VS savage.
      If you think you want a trued action like the rem, Why not purchase a Howa and give it the same treatment,
      This would mean you buy a action for $400-$500 and give it a few hundred dollars of love at the gunsmith. This could result in a very good action for under $1000.

Food for thought anyway.

JH

Comment

I'm on the savage side of life myself. I believe they a lot better value for money. As John said, the bolt head is better, the trigger is better. Even the standard accu-trigger is miles ahead of the flash remmy trigger.
        Vote 1 Savage model 12.

Comment

So you are planning to spend hundreds of dollars on a custom rifle project & your main selection criteria is the ease of Barrel swapping?

You will be maybe fitting the Barrel a couple times over the life of the rifle,, but shooting hundreds of targets therefore accuracy,reliability, strength factors are way more important.than whether it has a barrel nut.
          You should be making your decision on the following
          1/ Proven history of action
          2/ Availability of custom accessories.
          3/ Suitability for the desired Calibre and type of rifle.

Rem 700 - There is a reason that lots of custom rifles and actions are based on the Rem 700. It is Excellent.
          Savage 12 - Also a great starting point for the project.
          Also look at the following
          HOWA:
          SAKO
          Ruger
          Mauser 98
          [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
          [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
          [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
          [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
          [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            [quote="Shooting Sports" post=10085]So you are planning to spend hundreds of dollars on a custom rifle project & your main selection criteria is the ease of Barrel swapping?

You will be maybe fitting the Barrel a couple times over the life of the rifle,, but shooting hundreds of targets therefore accuracy,reliability, strength factors are way more important.than whether it has a barrel nut.
            You should be making your decision on the following
            1/ Proven history of action
            2/ Availability of custom accessories.
            3/ Suitability for the desired Calibre and type of rifle.

Rem 700 - There is a reason that lots of custom rifles and actions are based on the Rem 700. It is Excellent.
            Savage 12 - Also a great starting point for the project.
            Also look at the following
            HOWA:
            SAKO
            Ruger
            Mauser 98
            [/quote

Can you please touch on that a little more?
            I knew the old mauser actions were a hit with the hunters but have not seen any in the target game.
            I would think the options of triggers, magazines,bases,stocks ect would be a struggle to find?

Please educate me.
            Knowledge is power

JH

Yeah after bit of rescaech today i'm really leaning on the savage

and the reason i'm not going a full custom action is the bloody wait times

and the fact there is not many places around home to buy gun parts

Comment

I'm not going into the Rem700 v Savage debate - they are both good actions, each with pro's and con's.

You should not discount the George series Winchester Model 70s or the Howas. Both are good actions. In many ways the Howa is better than most - at least it is square out of the factory.

I do know, that if you have the coin Phoenix Sports Trading is Brisbane will soon be landing a new shipment of Pierce actions from the US. I know this because the Ti action I ordered in January is in the shipment.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Savage...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	28279

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-10-09.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	28280
              (Optics and rings were only a temp fit in this pic).

Rail look familiar in this photo John?

Another vote for savage. No need to Lap the lugs or square the bolt face due to the floating bolt head design which is going to save you some time andv money. I wouldnt worry about squaring up reciever and threads because savage does it right from the start. Plenty of accessories for both rifles so I wouldn't be to concerened about that aspect. My vote is for a model 12.

Comment

i gave up on going custom for now

i ended up buying a savage model 12 LRP in .260 rem

but once that barrel is f**ked i will then go custom

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Well I hope-I guess- that you get to shoot it out sooner rather than later
                Good choice BTW.
                Best thing I like about Savages is that you can alter most everything on the rifle to tune it yourself and there's a plethora of bolt on go fast bits out there to suit your needs.
            Working...
            X