qld pta genuine reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• qld pta genuine reasons

Please state the reason why the weapon is required and why the need cannot be satisfied in another way:

so what do we write
    .177 Chinese Air Rifle, Marlin XT22, Savage Mk2
    Howa Varmint (223 1:9) (223 1:12) (308 1:10), Howa Sporter (308 1:10), 1912 BSA SMLE (303), Winchester 370 12 Ga

22lr Mk2 Ruger 22/45, 22lr Mk3 Ruger 22/45 Lite
    9mm STI Spartan, 9mm Smith & Wesson M&P, 357 Magnum Ruger Security six

what ever you like really, they dont really read it.

ive always wrote sports and target shooting
    thanks!!

Comment

• Shini
      Shini commented
      Editing a comment
      On my first Cat B PTA I wrote something about the rifle being of the minimum caliber needed to shoot the distance I intended to use it though as said above I don't think you need an essay. I think the reasons might be looked at a little more closely on Cat C and D but "target shooting",naming the specific discipline you shoot or just "animal control"/"hunting XXXXX" should be fine.

It's the weapon and caliber you feel most comfortable with when shooting xxxxx
    I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

I always put sports and target shooting. Because I'm on a property and have occupational on my license I have been told by other property owners to add vermin control so I've been doing that as well now. With my lever actions I sometimes add western action. I have been told by "weapons licensing" that two of any one caliber is all you can have, but where you have multiples of one caliber the local SSAA president said to put down rifle is set up for short range, the other mid range, another long range and this is simple but works. Anyway after all that sports and target will do it.
      “Dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others lying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.”

Comment

Target shooting on an approved rifle range and for recretional purposes. This firearm complies with the competition rules and none of my other 150 will!
        Hold still varmint, whilst I plugs ya!

Comment

• Carmsbody
          Carmsbody commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Bad Ass Wallace" post=34139
          Target shooting on an approved rifle range and for recretional purposes. This firearm complies with the competition rules and none of my other 150 will!
          this is more or less what i ended up puting in the box, but i was just interested in how others word it..

I've always put something like, "More appropriate calibre for the type of hunting I'm doing".
        Failure is not falling down, failure is not being pushed down, failure is choosing to stay down.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmsbody" post=34088
          Please state the reason why the weapon is required and why the need cannot be satisfied in another way:

so what do we write
          Because we want to obey the law.

Comment

I had some recent discussions with the head of Qld WLB and was delighted to hear of continuing rollout of the electronic PTA applications. Stage 1 (last year) was 'online' PTA's, Stage 2 (this year) is 'online license renewals, Stage 3 'next year' will be auto approval of Cat a & B firearms for existing license holders. No details yet but I believe you apply online and the WLB confirms payment and prints off you PTA and sends it in double quick time!

Comment

• Laflamme
              Laflamme commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Bad Ass Wallace" post=34171
              I had some recent discussions with the head of Qld WLB and was delighted to hear of continuing rollout of the electronic PTA applications. Stage 1 (last year) was 'online' PTA's, Stage 2 (this year) is 'online license renewals, Stage 3 'next year' will be auto approval of Cat a & B firearms for existing license holders. No details yet but I believe you apply online and the WLB confirms payment and prints off you PTA and sends it in double quick time!
              what you just wrote there is enough to make me want to cry. They will get better at micromanaging our lives and telling us what we can and can't do. WHILE tracking our every purchase in something closer to real time, and you are happy about this? WHY? Its not you mate. I get it. I understand what you are saying, but having the jackboot more firmly planted on my neck is not what I get happy about. The PTA is a useless piece of paper work anyway. It serves no useful purpose what so ever. It certainly does not deter crime in any way. Nobody who is going to wait a year for the license (I waited a year for my cat B and then they sent it to the wrong place) is going to be deterred by another month wait, and quite frankly I don't understand the need to get a another license when I have already proven I am one of the most honest, law abiding citizens in this state.

I'm not taking a crack at you. Just saying what is on my mind and this is a sad state of affairs where shooters get excited (I can understand how you might) about the shorter wait time that might be coming down the track, but the shorter wait time rational thought suggests is that we can the PTA as it serves no useful purpose, and it is an unnecessary unreasonable burden on law abiding shooters.

Laflamme, please don't hold back but also thread comments should not at any time get personal

Whilst user names make us supposedly invisable, Lucky Les is one bloke I know who has stood up for shooters in particular, and the shooting sports in general against authority more times than many have had hot dinners. None of us like the system. but we welcome little "wins" when they come along. Maybe the law makers are starting to realise just what a shambles our gun laws are, and are willing to loosen the shackles a little at a time!

Comment

• Laflamme
              Laflamme commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Bad Ass Wallace" post=34468
              Laflamme, please don't hold back but also thread comments should not at any time get personal

Whilst user names make us supposedly invisable, Lucky Les is one bloke I know who has stood up for shooters in particular, and the shooting sports in general against authority more times than many have had hot dinners. None of us like the system. but we welcome little "wins" when they come along. Maybe the law makers are starting to realise just what a shambles our gun laws are, and are willing to loosen the shackles a little at a time!
              first off I have reread my own post and I at no time got personal. So I have no idea what you are talking about there. Second I'm glad he is all for standing up for shooters, I have never questioned that.

The idea, the opinion, that this is a WIN is silly. Nor can it be demonstrated that getting your gun after jumping through all the hoops a few days earlier is good for anyone in the shooting sports. The laws are in shambles. Yes right on glad you noticed that we are on the same page. REPEALING bad laws even a little bit is a small win. Swipe cards with all my information on them, that leads to large scale theft. You will never know what is on that card about you. You will never know what it says and you will never have access to it. But you will have to carry it on you all the time.

NO mate I question know ones conviction, or drive to defend the shooting sports or whatever you call it. This is a bad idea is what I'm saying. No part of this is a win for Law abiding gun owners in australia. First its a convenience it makes it easier, then it becomes an optional extra that is offered standard, then it becomes financially beneficial to have one, then it becomes mandatory, at that point they tax you more for having it and tract you with it beyond anything you seem to be able to understand. (I don't know you. You might get it and just not care I'll give you that).
              Translink did the same thing. It does not really help the travelers all that much. It helps the government get money out of the passengers a lot better though.

I'm not questioning anyone's integrity. I'm questioning the logic you are using to say this is a win of some sort when nothing could be further from the truth.

I always put pig shooting and target shooting, cause that's what I use my guns for.
            45-70 Government. The only Government I trust........................Period.

THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS.

Comment

ok so to clarify.....

on the online pta application for qld there is a drop down menu for your 'genuine reason' this is where you select 'target shooting' or 'hunting' and so on.. then below this is the following question.

ok so i was filling in a pta application to buy a .303. i wish to use it for target shooting so i said something along the lines of 'this is more suited to a specific discipline of shooting i wish to participate in than any other rifle i own'

but if i was to put in 'hunting' as my genuine reason then what would be my answer to that question, given that i already own a .308. which in theory should suffice my needs.
              .177 Chinese Air Rifle, Marlin XT22, Savage Mk2
              Howa Varmint (223 1:9) (223 1:12) (308 1:10), Howa Sporter (308 1:10), 1912 BSA SMLE (303), Winchester 370 12 Ga

22lr Mk2 Ruger 22/45, 22lr Mk3 Ruger 22/45 Lite
              9mm STI Spartan, 9mm Smith & Wesson M&P, 357 Magnum Ruger Security six

Comment

• fishphillott
                fishphillott commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Carmsbody" post=34545
                ok so to clarify.....

on the online pta application for qld there is a drop down menu for your 'genuine reason' this is where you select 'target shooting' or 'hunting' and so on.. then below this is the following question.

ok so i was filling in a pta application to buy a .303. i wish to use it for target shooting so i said something along the lines of 'this is more suited to a specific discipline of shooting i wish to participate in than any other rifle i own'

but if i was to put in 'hunting' as my genuine reason then what would be my answer to that question, given that i already own a .308. which in theory should suffice my needs.
                for both my 223's and 303's I just put down feral control and I plan on using the same reason for my third 303 as well

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Carmsbody,
                For any Cat B, I always put down that I wish to use it for practise and competition in a discipline suitable for that rifle, ie Military Rifle Comp for say a 303Br and hunting. So, 2 reasons, one calibre specific for club shooting and one for hunting. If the calibre wasn't a military one you could use it for silhouette shooting, or bench rest or cast bullet competition, or lever action if that applied, but always put down hunting as well.
                I have never had a PTA knocked back and I am covered for both club use and hunting.
                As an example, Cast bullet competition could cover any calibre from 22 centre fires up to the largest calibre you dare to shoot. The same goes for Big Game Rifle discipline, anything from .22RF through to 8 Bore.
                Hope this helps
                Regards
                Les

I have used very similar to the following:

I am applying for an additional x calibre firearm. this additional firearm is more appropriate to the species of feral game I intend to target, due to it having a different scope style to other calibre x firearms on my licence. It will also see occasional range use as well.

I also have H class firearms and have 8 in 9mm amongst other calibres. Tell a good enough story and they will approve your PTA.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

Working...
              X