South Australian Gun Licence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Australian Gun Licence

So im not sure if this has already been asked yet or not, but i was wondering if anyone can tell me how long i should expect to wait to get my gun licence in SA?

I applied for a licence about two weeks ago and was just wondering if people new what the rough time frame is before i get the letter and actually get my licence once iv done the courses and everything?

Also was wondering if people new how long it would take for a transfer of firearms request would take? I have had guns willed to my from my grandfather, the guns are currently being stored at a country gun smith and once i have my licence he will provide the transfer papers but was wondering how long that process would take?

essentially im asking in a very long winded way if anyone knows how long will it take before I can go pick up my guns?

I would say about 2 months minimum, broken down to the following:
    1. first u have to get on the course and there are only so many places available, so it might take a while before u get on one.
    2. Once u have passed the course, u apply for your FAL.
    3. When u get your FAL you have to send in PTA's for the firearms and seeing as those are the first firearms it will take 28 days before u get the PTA's back.
    The reason for all this delay is the background checks repeatedly done on u, from when u first apply to the FAL course to getting the PTA's.
    Cheers.
    The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Comment

My licence too just over 6 months from submission to receiving the paper temporary licence. Was a number of years ago now but i wouldn't imagine anything would have sped up lately :S

First PTA will take 28 days. Follow up PTA's are generally returned within two weeks.

Comment

ehhhh thats ridiculous, i honestly assumed it would take a month start to finish
        thanks for the detailed reply
        I realize there probably isn't but is there anything to do that will possibly speed up the process?

Also i will be looking for a decent rifle range when i eventually get the guns, any recommendations?

Comment

Ive had 3 mates this year apply, all of them took roughly 3 months, if you ring SA firearms branch the initial hold message which is played automatically will tell you what date there processing from at this time, note that means started looking at the application only.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by druid01" post=22191
            Ive had 3 mates this year apply, all of them took roughly 3 months, if you ring SA firearms branch the initial hold message which is played automatically will tell you what date there processing from at this time, note that means started looking at the application only.
            I always ring before 10 or after 4 to get that info for my PTAs etc too

i was told by the cop that it would be 2 weeks to 2 months before i got the paperwork to take to the club to join them.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by zorba" post=22373
            i was told by the cop that it would be 2 weeks to 2 months before i got the paperwork to take to the club to join them.
            He probably meant it would take 2 weeks for it to leave the police station and start its long jurney to firearms. mine took 6 mths from cop shop to photo taken, At least its not class H as there is an extra 6mth wait till you can own one

I suppose it would depend on which class of firearms you are applying for as well.
          SAPOL are horribly slow in doing anything, so I would expect anywhere between 4 - 6 months if you are lucky.
          Never expect anything to happen quickly when you are dealing with firearms and the SAPOL.
          An example is I applied for my second PTA , this time for a class A rifle nearly a month ago,
          and I rang and asked how it was progressing and was told it should be posted last week sometime,
          and one week later and still no PTA.
          My first PTA for a class B rifle took a month almost to the day.
          He who has never made a mistake has never made anything.

Many things have been developed by persons who were not smart enough to realize that they were impossible.

Comment

someone on another forum posted that he just got his fit and proper papers 3 months from application. this seems to be the average at the moment.

Comment

funny thing is,........sapol send the paperwork to Victoria for processing.
              true.

figure that one out.

Comment

• zorba
                zorba commented
                Editing a comment
                probably do a federal police back ground check there

yeah so the general idea im getting is that it will be 3 months before i get a licence, which in all honesty is alot more then i was hoping haha, honestly was expecting a month and a half, but i guess i was assuming sapol we efficient with the whole process, buggar haha
              can any one here recommend a decent rifle range? one of the guns is a .222 and i wana be able to sight it in and zero it in before i go hunting obviously, any ranges that's not excessively far away from Adelaide?

Thanks for all the reply's aswell, appreciate the information

Comment

• zorba
                zorba commented
                Editing a comment
                i know druid01 was going to site his gun in at the para range, which is in greenwith.

the apsc near two wells is building a long range too which might be finished by the time you get your license

• Send-it
                Send-it commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by bobsmename" post=23992
                can any one here recommend a decent rifle range?

para range
                rifle range road,...Greenwith. (north side of golden grove)
                google the following:
                SSAA Para range for details.
                they'll probably charge a small fee for the day, and you may have to comply with whatever activities they have on for that day, but a decent range.
                more club details avail on the other club threads.

As an update, 1 month and 2 weeks later i still haven't even heard back from SAPOL

Comment

• Dingo745
                Dingo745 commented
                Editing a comment
                It's painful how slow SAPOL do things and no way to hurry it up either.

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by bobsmename" post=34509
                As an update, 1 month and 2 weeks later i still haven't even heard back from SAPOL
                Be prepared for a wait!

It's done in steps, and the first step is to submit a federal police background check. Once that is done and cleared you will be sent a letter stating you can apply for the TAFE course, and then it's time to approach TAFE to find out when their next course vacancy is. Once you pass the tafe course it's off to motor rego to pay cash and have a photo taken...from the time you pay your cash you are licensed, then you have to wait a compulsory 30 days before a PTA will be granted for your first firearm.

These wheels turn very slowly.

In my experience, the club certification part of your firearms license is the quickest part of the process, join the club, get assigned a trainer same day and commence the club safety course that week, completed and signed of within 3 weeks, but thats only for the pou1.

if you select other POU's then the mandatory Tafe course is the biggest delay, at least in South Australia, due to limited courses, and limited numbers per course.
              I recall with mine, after receiving my fit and proper letter, that the "regency" tafe which is the main metro hub adelaide tafe for the course stated over 3 months wait to get a seat in the course at the time.

I was lucky and rung the rural course hub, which was Waikerie tafe, they found me a spot in kapunda course for the next class, bit of a drive but better than waiting 3-4 months for a seat in metro and even getting into the class within 5 weeks it still took them another 4 weeks to actually send the paperwork to SAPOL.

These days i actually recommend to apply for POU1 only so you can get your firearm quicker, then add other POU's and do a tafe course at leisure , assuming hunting can actually wait.

regards

Comment

I applied for my firearms license a week ago and just called the firearms branch, in the recording they are currently up to mid August for the new applications... Seems like the 6 month wait would be pretty accurate until I would have the interim license...

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Approx 3-6 months normally

Just called the firearms branch again and they are now processing new applications from late September...
                Either they don't have too many and have gone through them quickly or they only update there message once a month...
                Getting excited right about now...

Comment

• zorba
                  zorba commented
                  Editing a comment
                  wow, if thats the case then mine shouldnt be too far away

Do you have to be licensed for club use to actually shot at a club/range???

Comment

• druid01
                  druid01 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by MasterBlaster" post=37652
                  Do you have to be licensed for club use to actually shot at a club/range???
                  nope, but most clubs will charge fee's for using there club facilities , if you walk in of the street for a casual shoot.

many metro / cbd shooters only put down club use due to not being able to find locations to hunt within a reasonable distance.
                  so for people like that its cheaper with less hassles with less courses needed on a POU1 licence only.

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Training letter was received today... Safety course has been booked...
              Working...
              X