Handgun Hunting Law Change- Feasible Yes/No!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handgun Hunting Law Change- Feasible Yes/No!

Massive debate in another thread relating to Concealed Carry made me think about something that maybe more likely.

Several states have various rules/regulations governing the usage/ownership of Handguns on RURAL properties for pest control and related reasons.
    Most (all) states have massive problems with Feral animals, surely it is time to push/promote/advise the advantages of allowing handguns for recreational hunting.
    So what are your thoughts, feelings, suggestions?

I know i would rather carry around a T/C Encore or Ruger Charger all day than a 8kg Tacticool Pump.
    [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
    [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
    [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
    [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
    [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Why not? Logically speaking, a pistol is just another firearm. There should be no impedimant to using them for hunting, so long as the appropriate calibre etc are used against a given species of game.

Comment

• Greenwich-biker
      Greenwich-biker commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting thought - if handgun hunting were allowed, CC would then be more achievable perhaps?

It's all the rage in the US of course.

No chance... Handgun = inhumane as not as accurate.

Handguns on rural properties are for stock destruction.

Comment

• Shooting Sports
      Shooting Sports commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by QuickShooter" post=7283

Handguns on rural properties are for stock destruction.
      Handguns made for hunting purposes used for metallic silhouette shooting are as accurate as most hunting rifles.
      I am not talking about using 2inch stubby 38Spl's. I am talking MODERN Scoped purpose built Hunting Handguns.

Why is it we can be trusted to use a 10inch barreled .T/C encore shooting Metallic targets but not to use it shooting feral animals.
      Or using those great Ruger Chargers for the purpose they were actually designed for.
      And Handguns licensed on RURAL permits in some states are/can be used for feral animal culling.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by QuickShooter" post=7283
      Bulldust. Projectiles come out in exactly the same straight lines from a pistol as they do a carbine or rifle.

I would really like to see handgun hunting. Knocking rabbits off with a rifle gets boring after a while, even putting a curfew on any rabbit inside 400m becomes a little boring at times.

Being able to use a Encore or XP100 type pistol would make it a little more interesting.

There may be opportunities to push hunting with single shots that are on the larger side (not concealable - short rifles), I doubt any politicians would accept revolvers or pistols.

In NSW we would settle with simply getting State Forest hunting back, that might be a better way to spend political capital?

Comment

I do remember that this was an option that was on the table back in 2010 during the talks with user groups on proposed law changes, If i remember correctly from the old forums it was something that the QLD police were willing to look at but got squashed by a rep from one of the ISSF pistol groups who said that their members were not interested in being able to hunt with hand guns. I do remember he copped a lot of flack because he made that comment without consulting or talking to any other groups involved.
      45/70 Government, The only government i trust

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by shooter65" post=7429
        I do remember that this was an option that was on the table back in 2010 during the talks with user groups on proposed law changes, If i remember correctly from the old forums it was something that the QLD police were willing to look at but got squashed by a rep from one of the ISSF pistol groups who said that their members were not interested in being able to hunt with hand guns. I do remember he copped a lot of flack because he made that comment without consulting or talking to any other groups involved.
        That's what you get for shooting from the hip.

(see what I did there?)

If a bullet weighing x number of grains travelling at y feet per second hits and kills the target animal, is that all that should happen?

If a .357 caliblre 158gr bullet travelling at 1500fps hits and kills the pig/fox/rabbit I'm shooting at, is that not enough? The animal doesn't know what firearm it came from. What is the difference if I say it was shot from a S&W686 or from a Rossi lever? Absolutely none. Just as rifle and shotgun hunters choose "enough gun" for the chosen game, handgun hunters must also do the same.

Comment

I suspect it'd be a hard sell, Looking at it from an outside in perspective, the majority of the community have been conditioned to associate handguns with criminals, and semi automatic long arms with mass murder. I've talked to a few people who have no issue with using "dads old hunting rifle" to put meat on the table, but feel that only criminals would want the others.

I agree with adamjp. Whilst I am not opposed to the option of allowing hunting with handguns, I feel political capital and efforts by the community could be swung in other directions first. For hunting purposes, access to land is probably the biggest issue facing sporting shooters in the immediate future.

Comment

Can't see why we couldn't get it back we where once legally able to hunt with handguns.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by DBateman" post=9348
            Can't see why we couldn't get it back we where once legally able to hunt with handguns.
            Yes we where allowed to hunt in certain States and or Territories. I had a lot of fun with my 686 and 158gn JSP on Pigs, and my mate literally rode shotgun, with a 12g pump action, after I took the first shot.

Handgun accuracy, depends on shooter skill, and we are not comparing apples with apples, engagement ranges with handguns, will be LESS than that with rifles, more in line with the effectice range of the handguns. Obviously as has been pointed out, there are some speciality handguns, that have exceptional accuracy indeed.

I would support handgun hunting in a heartbeat, and their is no logical impediment to not support it. It is FUN, massive shitloads of great smiley face FUN!!

Thanks,

Oddball

I could be wrong, but isn't it already legal in NT?
          I was watching a YouTube video of a guy walking through the bush with a XVR460... whilst the vid was for comedic purposes, I doubt he'd put a video up on public domain of him carrying a XVR460 through the bush unless it was legal.

ok.. just found this on another forum.. seems it's not so black & white (for NT)

As mentioned earlier I have now been in touch with the NT Firearms department (Sergeant Peter Ruzsicska Officer In Charge Firearms Policy & Records Unit) in regards to hand gun hunting in the NT. and the answer is YES and NO! I asked the following questions about Outfitters advertising Handgun hunts and got these answers.

Q1. Is this done by special permit for outfitters or his handgun hunting in general legal in the N.T. ?

A1.Safari Companies operating in the Northern Territory cannot offer handgun shooting to residents of Australia. It is unlawful to do so. You will find that any references relate to international visitors who ironically can apply for an International Visitor Permit to do which is not available to Australian residents. Most outfitters should only offer this option to persons with considerable demonstrated skill in using handguns given the dangers involved.
          Q2. Is it legal to carry a handgun for personal protection whilst hunting big game in the N.T.?

A2. It is only permitted for the guide who has an appropriate employee licence under the corporate safari licence. Most carry rifles in larger belted magnum rifle calibres given the dangers with dealing with large animals such as buffalo, scrub bulls and banteng. This also affords the opportunity of a follow-up shot if the animal has not been dispatched immediately.
          Q3. If it is legal what permits are required?

A3. Not legal to do so.

So Yes you can provided you are an International visitor with plenty of cash and a permit.

No if you are a Australian citizen.

Is it just me or does this stink!!!

Bert

Comment

• Spurious
            Spurious commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes it is legal to do so while on a guided hunting trip registered to do so, as far as I'm aware. I could be wrong.

I'm sure others will know more of the details.

Ok, now that I have read the above edit, that is like looking through a glass of mud. I don't know.
        Working...
        X