Laws I'd like to see to help promote our legitimate sport.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laws I'd like to see to help promote our legitimate sport.

Laws I'd like to see to promote the sport and

'Recreational' shooting - Obviously in a state forest. It's ok for those who have land to fire off some rounds for enjoyment [and only if they have 'target shooting' as one of their genuine reasons. For those who live in the city we are forced to drive to a single range large caliber rifle range [Little River] unless we're in a club. Yes we can drive 90mins to go to the range and pay $30 and for myself I'm 10mins away from the state forest. Seems non-sense. Shooting at some targets, a can, some paper targets away from populations and in a safe way is a legitimate recreation. Yes it's not kicking a football or water skiing, and yet to us it 'is' a similar level, we might happen to enjoy both. Yes people are known to be doing it anyway, but the reality is that it's meant to be 'only' for sighting in your rifle or hunting and I'm not about to risk my use of firearms for a bit of fun.

Under instruction - Being able to instruct a friend, your son, wife, whoever without them having to go through all of the red tape to get a full license before even trying out firing a gun seems absurd. Yes I've seen people give friends a 'shot' but getting caught doing so can land you in jail for a long time, not something I care to experiment with. You don't have to get a license to fire a bow and arrow, use an axe or drive a car on private land. Obviously you would need to be within a few meters at all times, perhaps they still have to pass the safety test before being able to handle the firearm off the range, a fair trade and a balance between introducing people and safety. This is relevant to increasing our legitimacy of our sport as it is to expanding people's interest. We all know we have few friends in politicians or the media, but they are suppose to represent 'the people' and a good deal of us are tired of silly laws and under representation.

Semi-Auto long arms/Pump-action shotguns, - Currently going through the ordeal of getting a pistol license. Lots of steps, lots of money, can only use at the range [no hunting for instance], etc. Ok, a fair bit or red tape. I can't see how going through a similar process isn't a good median between restriction and use for the average punter. Legitimate use you say? Shooting pigs 'is' a fair use for a semi, anyone who has hunted them can attest to this desire to get another pig before they disappear. There's also the sporting use as seen in the US. Pistols for instance are used FAR more in crime than long arms. Makes little sense and the nut that started all of this drama wasn't even a firearms license holder!! Give us some paper work and safety courses to do, but ultimately give us the Semi's they're not such a big deal and we already have to prove our record of non-violence.

Can't you plink in SF in VIC? huh:

Semi auto ban was nothing to do with logic it was political.

Comment

• Sambar Country
      Sambar Country commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by zhuk" post=6975
      Can't you plink in SF in VIC? huh:
      There is no legislation or regulation that says you can't plink in a state forest in Vic. I do it all the time and local police have no issues with it.

Originally posted by shineyshooter" post=6959

'Recreational' shooting - Obviously in a state forest. It's ok for those who have land to fire off some rounds for enjoyment [and only if they have 'target shooting' as one of their genuine reasons. For those who live in the city we are forced to drive to a single range large caliber rifle range [Little River] unless we're in a club.

I agree that shooting in State Forest should be more accessible and i can't see why you should need a target licence to practice snap shooting on private land (for example). Unfortunately, I believe it's the thoughtless 'redneck' element that ruins it for the decent folk. I have spent a great deal of my life in the bush and every camp or access point i visit I usually take a bag of other people rubbish home with me. Imagine going to you fav spot and finding brass scattered everywhere along with the broken beer bottles & cigarette packets i usually pick up!??! Perhaps a work around would be a small fee (say $15) for a permit to shoot recreationaly in a specified area of SF for a given period (say 12 months). That way you can shoot with out fear of breaking laws and the rednecks can run the gauntlet as they already do.

Under instruction - Being able to instruct a friend, your son, wife, whoever without them having to go through all of the red tape to get a full license before even trying out firing a gun seems absurd.

Hear hear. Bring it on, i agree whole heartedly. Perhaps a simple "under insrtruction register" online would suffice. Your registration could last for a month at a certain place under guidance from a certain person; after that you have to get your licence if you want to keep shooting.

Semi-Auto long arms/Pump-action shotguns, - Currently going through the ordeal of getting a pistol license. Lots of steps, lots of money, can only use at the range [no hunting for instance], etc.

I do agree with you, particularly on the pump shotty issue and feral hunting. There are often time when 5 quick rounds from the shotty would save a lot of ongoing work. In my case, for instance, we can apply for a crop protection permit to spotlight pest animals but since i don't make all of my income (or 80%), i can't use a pump. With a pump i could humanley dispatch 3 or 4 pest animals in one location in a matter of seconds, but using a DB or .22 bolt I get one here, one there, another over here and then have to go back out in another hour or so.

How-ever, I believe the issue with the law is that the more lax regulations are with Semis, the more there will be around for CRIMs to THIEVE and use for nefarious activities. Gun theft is a real issue; here in TAS, anyway. Perhaps if you wanted to register a semi you would have to prove adequate storage???
    That's my take. Hope it doesn't ruffle too many feathers.

Cheers
    List to tick off:
    - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
    - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
    - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
    - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
    - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
    - Comp dies for 7mm-08
    - Case annealer
    - Custom dies for wild cat

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Gwion" post=6999
      That way you can shoot with out fear of breaking laws and the rednecks can run the gauntlet as they already do.
      I was just wondering... Are you in the habit of calling black Africans "niggers", or Asians "chinks"?

• MrCarbine
      MrCarbine commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Gwion" post=6999
      Originally posted by shineyshooter" post=6959
      How-ever, I believe the issue with the law is that the more lax regulations are with Semis, the more there will be around for CRIMs to THIEVE and use for nefarious activities. Gun theft is a real issue; here in TAS, anyway. Perhaps if you wanted to register a semi you would have to prove adequate storage???[/i][/b]
      That's my take. Hope it doesn't ruffle too many feathers.
      Cheers
      Oh, so it's ok for crims and thieves to steal and use all the rest of the firearms. Do you think that's acceptable to the community? Secure your gun (whatever it might be) and YOU will not be the problem.
      Don't be ridiculous. Please do not invent your own explanations for the rationale behind gun laws. There is none.

I think they should allow pre 46, semi auto's back like M1 Garands, M1 carbines, G43's etc. and remove the ridiculous calibre restriction on pistols anyway it would make me a happy man once again

Comment

• thelastword
      thelastword commented
      Editing a comment
      Gun-control measures vary considerably around the country.

For instance, here in WA you don’t require a license, or a background check (regardless of age), to use someone else’s firearm under their direct supervision, but shooting on state controlled land is outlawed.

My suggestion is that if interested shooters really want to make an impact, the first place to begin is by carefully studying the differences between jurisdictions – and there are many.

The fact is you can’t advocate for better legislation if you don’t know what the current situation is to begin with.

Recreational shooting areas is one that should be further explored, I can understand how folks leaving piles of .22 brass laying around is a detriment to an areas natural state, the same goes for all the excess lead that may build up in/around trees and plant life if the area is used heavily over time. We know from history that lead can ruin an area for many future uses, and also seep into water via run off. Nothing wrong with sighting in your rifle and making sure it is on target once in a blue moon, and we should definitely have more access to areas for hunting and vermin control. I don't feel returning to the same spot on a regular basis just to sling lead is good for the environment, or the image of the sport, that kind of recreational use should be conducted on a range where management plans are in place for lead and brass recovery. Allowances for private ranges or practice spaces should however be made where properties meet or exceed the requirements to allow firearms use, and the user maintains the space in a neat and tidy manner by making an effort to clear brass and lead.

Under instruction is something that would be absolutely fantastic, In TAS at the moment a person can get an exemption from a license that is valid for 6 months (or was last time I checked). This allows the person to attend the specified range for a 6 month period, and use any firearm under RO supervision. Whilst a fantastic introduction to the sport I feel it should not be range limited. My range doesn't offer clay target shooting, or c/f rifle matches so the ability to get a full taste of the sports options doesn't exist. A nice sidestep into hunting would be a requirement to undergo a 6 month exemption valid for any club and prove proficiency, followed by a 12 month exemption for hunting with a fully licensed experienced shooter. Frankly, after 12 months I feel it is fair to expect the user to obtain a license.

As far as pump or semi-auto long arms are concerned, I have no issues with either. I feel efforts in this instance are far better directed at the thin end of the carrot. Starting with letting the public know we are trustworthy in our current status, a good second step would be national unification of our laws led by the pro-shooting political parties, and hopefully culminating in a new national firearms agreement that allowed for the best of all current laws Australia wide (still signed by each state, but with an agreement that no single state will act alone without allowing each state to field a representative for its shooters, and all states would need to come to an agreement on the proposed changes and accept them). No less than we currently get, in some cases a little more, and in all cases with strong support and backing from the firearms community. From that point forward we'd have a level playing field on which to play the game.

Cheers,
    /tAK

Comment

• adamjp
      adamjp commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by tAK" post=7767
      ...a good second step would be national unification of our laws led by the pro-shooting political parties, and hopefully culminating in a new national firearms agreement that allowed for the best of all current laws Australia wide (still signed by each state, but with an agreement that no single state will act alone without allowing each state to field a representative for its shooters, and all states would need to come to an agreement on the proposed changes and accept them). No less than we currently get, in some cases a little more, and in all cases with strong support and backing from the firearms community. From that point forward we'd have a level playing field on which to play the game.

Cheers,
      /tAK
      Consistent National Firearms Laws would be great. Trouble is these would be set by the Politicians, the Police Ministers, and a small 'Consultative Committee' with three shooters, a greens member, an anti-gunner and someone from the Victims Representative Council (or some such rubbish). You just know we would end up with the most opportune version - that of Wait Awhile (WA).

That is not something I could be happy about.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by tAK" post=7767

Starting with letting the public know we are trustworthy in our current status
      we are the bloody public!
Working...
X