This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collapsible/Folding Stock guide State by State

I take nill credit for the content, 'alkapitano' got this one going. Not sure if retrieving a thread of someone elses is frowned upon, if so i'll pull it. Just remembered it being a handy thread - http://www.shooting.com.au/forum/index.php?/topic/11983-collapsiblefolding-stock-guide-by-state/

Stock Legality for A/B Firearms

Still a work in progress don't take this as fact yet.

QLD
    Folding stocks= Yes
    Collapsible Stocks= Yes
    Pistol grip= Yes
    Minimum OAL= 750mm

VIC
    Folding stocks= Yes
    Collapsible Stocks= Yes
    Pistol grip= Yes
    Minimum OAL= 750mm

NSW
    Folding stocks= No
    Collapsible Stocks= Pinned only
    Pistol grip= Yes
    Minimum OAL= 800mm

SA
    Folding stocks= Yes
    Collapsible Stocks= Yes
    Pistol grip= Yes
    Minimum OAL= 750mm

NT
    Folding stocks= No
    Collapsible Stocks= Yes (70mm of adjustment)
    Pistol grip= Yes (only if stock cannot be removed from grip)
    Minimum OAL= 700mm

TAS
    Folding stocks= Yes
    Collapsible Stocks= Yes
    Pistol grip= Yes
    Minimum OAL= 650mm

WA
    Folding stocks= NO
    Collapsible Stocks= YES - (ADJUSTABLE OK "30mm - 40mm", COLLAPSABLE FOR STORAGE NO)
    Pistol grip= YES
    Minimum OAL= ???

ACT
    Folding stocks= No
    Collapsible Stocks= No
    Pistol grip= No
    Minimum OAL=

Is NSW still a no go for Collapsible stocks? I thought there was an amendment to allow a certain amount of adjustment range?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

• adamjp
      adamjp commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Morgo" post=4020
      Is NSW still a no go for Collapsible stocks? I thought there was an amendment to allow a certain amount of adjustment range?
      NSW still dose not permit 'collapsible' stocks, but it has always permitted 'adjustable' stocks.

So the question becomes - where does collapsible start and adjustable end. Within the new import regulations from the Federal Attorney General, this is held to be 75mm (I need to check that but the document is at work).

This is not the interpretation applied in NSW, but it is safe to say that if your 'adjustable' buttstock reduces the overall length of the weapon below the acceptable minimum length as described in Regulation 129.
      129 Shortened firearms
      (cf 1997 cl 104)

(1) For the purposes of section 62 (2) of the Act, a firearm is to be considered as having been shortened only if:
      (a) in the case of a firearm that is a smooth bore shotgun or a combination smooth bore shotgun and rifle:
      (i) the length of the barrel, or, if it has more than one barrel, of the longer or longest barrel is less than 45 cm, or
      (ii) the length of the stock is less than 30 cm or it has no stock, and
      (b) in the case of a firearm that is a rifle, not being a combination smooth bore shotgun and rifle or an air gun:
      (i) the length of the barrel or, if it has more than one barrel, of the longer or longest barrel is less than 40 cm, or
      (ii) the length of the stock is less than 30 cm or it has no stock, or
      (iii) the overall length is less than 80 cm, and
      (c) in the case of a firearm that is an air gun:
      (i) the length of the barrel is less than 30 cm, or
      (ii) the length of the stock is less than 30 cm or it has no stock, or
      (iii) the overall length is less than 70 cm.
      (2) For the purposes of this clause, the length of the stock of a firearm, if the firearm has one trigger, is to be measured from the front of the trigger or, if the firearm has more than one trigger, from the front of the rearmost trigger to the centre of the rear of the butt plate or stock.
      you will be in trouble.

How about adding magazine limits to the list for A/B?

Comment

Well if this is all accurate and permits come good, I may very well have an mrad this financial year along with some other scary firearms....
      I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

• S12A
        S12A commented
        Editing a comment
        sorry to ruin it for ya , but just because the state laws permit it doesnt make it a legal import into Australia.
        check the customs regs for that and you will find that you cant bring in folding stocks or even folding stocks that have been fixed at the factory.

Yeah I know.... Looked into it a lot last year..... Ill just stick with the 98b
      I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

• Spurious
        Spurious commented
        Editing a comment
        WA
        Folding stocks= NO
        Collapsible Stocks= YES - (ADJUSTABLE OK "30mm - 40mm", COLLAPSABLE FOR STORAGE NO)
        Pistol grip= YES
        Minimum OAL= ???
        Can anyone confirm that this is true?
        I've just been told by a reputable gun dealer in Perth, that it is illegal to have a pistol grip stock on your rifle.
        Now, I've scoured the difficult to read firearms act, and can't find anything about it. That's not to say I didn't miss it, but I certainly didn't find it.

If its not in the act it is legal. Black and white.

But that doesn't mean WA pol won't seize it due to "military" style.

Comment

Can anyone tell me how current the NT reference is? I've used up my Firearms Unit enquiry quota for the month.....
        Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          G'Day Fella's,

I'm old enough to have lived thru the 1996 "Buy Back Scheme" and subsequent implementation of "Uniform National Gun Laws"!
          Ummmmmm, there doesn't appear to be very much UNIFORMITY there eh!!!

Double Doh!!
          Homer

Can we also include state magazine limits?

SA and WA have no limit

Comment

Your national gun laws at work.......

Comment

dannyboy1.....

if you really want this gun don't take no for an answer...get the gun friendly pollies to raise it in parliament as it is not law just firearms flexing their muscles again....

aunty Liz doesn't t like having to answer difficult questions about this stuff...push back

Comment

• dannyboy1
              dannyboy1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ending up buying a Savage 10 FCP-K in .308 topped with a Vortex Viper 6/24 x 50mm. Great rifle for vermin at distance.

Just bought a Remington 7600 in .308 for pigs so will be interesting if it gets approved. I have submitted an A4 size page of reasons why my current .308 is not suitable, so hopefully it gets approved. Submitted 4/12/2013, received at Licensing on the 10/12/2013 and apparently getting back ground checks done now.

Will keep you posted.

A4 list of reasons???

..i already had a ruger scout .308 and i wanted a 7600 .308..

My reason: 7600 for quick follow-up shots on piggies. Nuff said.

Comment

I am know expert, but I think the min overal length is 65 cm for most states and QLD is still 75 cm.

Comment

Glad to see someone saved this. Would be good if we could get it finished and up to date.
                WTB: 38/40 barrel or donor rifle, snider/p53 lock and breech parts, 10-15 round blued 38 super 1911 mag, AIA/skk mag with star on the side. Pm me on forum.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  hi guys just wondering if the info for qld is still valid and dos this mean that as long as the oal we are allowed folding and collapse stocks ?
                  and if so would it be possibly to get a link to it?

Does anyone know if in Victoria overall length is measured with a folding stock extended or folded?

Comment

• HERNE
                  HERNE commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by MrSeacucumber" post=267826
                  Does anyone know if in Victoria overall length is measured with a folding stock extended or folded?
                  What does the Vic Pol LRD say? They may have a better current understanding on such a question... Probably something you wouldn't want to get wrong by digging out such an old nugget like this.
              Working...
              X