.338 Lapua Banned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .338 Lapua Banned?

I was talking to the local range official last night and was made aware that the NSW Police have recently turned down permits for Rifles chambered in 338 Lapua magnum. Now I am unsure what reason they gave but I do know it has happened to more than one applicant. I will dig a bit deeper next week and see what I can find out.

How do they know what caliber you're applying to purchase? The PTA would just be for a centerfire rifle. By the time the registry knows you bought a rifle chambered in 338LM, you would already have it in your hands.

Unless I'm missing something?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Adrian-XI" post=46177
      How do they know what caliber you're applying to purchase? The PTA would just be for a centerfire rifle. By the time the registry knows you bought a rifle chambered in 338LM, you would already have it in your hands.

Unless I'm missing something?
      Yep, exactly right. It is certainly the case that most ranges won't allow the .338lap and other powerful cartridges due to retained-energy restrictions placed on many individual ranges however in NSW it is permitted to own and use where legal (approved ranges, private property) on a Cat B licence, as is the .50BMG for that matter.

NSW FAR was making noises earlier on this year about including caliber and even serial numbers on PTA applications (which never eventuated in the end, thank f#*k!) which would indeed give the coppers scope to knock back applications based on caliber etc, however for now when you recieve a PTA in NSW for a Cat B centrefire rifle in NSW you can stroll down to your LGS and use it to buy a .223rem or a .50BMG and everything else in between since FAR doesn't presently differentiate between the various calibers for Cat B permits. I suspect that if the NSW police did want to stop us getting hold of the .338lap in the future then they would simply re-categorise it to Cat C, D or even R & be done with it.

I know of several applications that were denied in SA.
    almost impossible to get one here.

Comment

• El-Skippo
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Bugger the .338 lap........Just buy a 300 win mag, just as good and cheaper to shoot :lol:

Adrian is right. No place on the PTA application for a calibre. You don't even have to write down the 'genuine reason'. You just gotta sign to say that you have a genuine reason.

If I was going to do a 338 it would be a Norma magnum anyway. If 338 lap and 50 ever do get the Chop I bet norma mag, 338 Edge and 338 Federal don't. It's only the scary sniper cartridges that will get banned :lol: clueless idiot lawmakers :lol:

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Movealongnothingtoseehere" post=46205
      Adrian is right. No place on the PTA application for a calibre. You don't even have to write down the 'genuine reason'. You just gotta sign to say that you have a genuine reason.

If I was going to do a 338 it would be a Norma magnum anyway. If 338 lap and 50 ever do get the Chop I bet norma mag, 338 Edge and 338 Federal don't. It's only the scary sniper cartridges that will get banned :lol: clueless idiot lawmakers :lol:
      Yep, a couple of pollies watched "Shoote", and shattered themselves.....but the stoopid fools need to remember the LAFO are not the issue, but CRIMS. Imagine some CRIMS using some ILLEGAL smuggled in 338LM or 50 cal.

Possible, but unlikely.....

The sky is falling!!!

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      G'Day Fella's,

To quote some Slimy Political Animal; "We Need Uniform National Gun Laws"!
      Well we certainly don't have that, it appears Each and Every State in this country, has it's own UNIQUE (and dysfunctional) Gun Laws!!!
      The other half of this Slimy Political Animals BS rhetoric, was "It Will Make Australia A Safer Place"! Yeah right, pull the other leg!!!

The unfortunate situation that we as LAFO's are confronted with, is that we are dealing with Paranoid Police, that don't want something to happen on Their Shift, that might effect Their Career!!!

FJWH!!!
      Homer

Edit Homer; I'm sure there is enough size difference between cases, that you could just re-chamber a .338 Lap Mag to the even bigger.338-378 Weatherby?

• Xenedis
      Xenedis commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Movealongnothingtoseehere" post=46205
      Indeed. Your genuine reason is what justifies your licence, and the firearm must be applicable to that genuine reason.

One of the guys from work put in two PTAs here in Qld a couple of weeks ago. Both online and at the same time. 1 for a .22 rimfire and the other for a 338 win mag. The .22 showed up in less than a week but no news on the 338. He rang to see what happened and was told to write an email explaining why he needed it, size of the property he was shooting on etc. He thought this was unusual so asked if they had confused his PTA for a 338 Lapua...........awkward silence, check of PTA application and no worries the PTA will be on the way.
    In Qld you are required to enter calibre on the application and he said he definitely put 338 Win mag.
    Not sure if they have always made the letter of explanation a requirement for 338 Lapua applications or if this is a new process.

Dazza.

Comment

I call BS

There is nowhere on a NSW PTA that asks what calibre you are getting.......just if its a centre fire or not.

There are so many of these crap rumours around

Comment

There is no Genuine reason on NSW PTA's either........ Nothing, you just cross the box in what class ie centrefire, rimfire, shotgun.....and thats it, nothing about genuine reason or anything else.......

Comment

• Walter White
          Walter White commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it was on Four Corners earlier this year when one of the too brass in NSW pol stated the single biggest threat to our society (read them) today was firearms in the hands of private citizens. No distinction was made between lafo or otherwise. Id argue alcohol related injuries might just outnumber firearm related injuries but the last thing we need is ptas to by a carton so I'll keep my mouth shut. Not to mention anything chambered in 338 lap that I can think of would be completely impractical for your average gangbanger wannabe. There seem to be plenty of people getting the nod for them up here anyway.

In NSW the introduction of the Ammunition Bill caused the Firearms Registry to make a bid for collecting the cartridge of an intended purchase on the Permit to Acquire. Needless to say, this was not supported by the Ammunition Bill and was an ambit claim by the POLICE who run the Registry (not the public servants).

The Police Minister was on the receiving end of representationsfrom SSAA, Shooters and Fishers and some others and recognised that his minstry was overstepping itself. An internal power struggle then ensued between the Minister and his department over who made the decisions. The NSW Police claimed that they were not subject to "political interference" in the execution of their duties, the Minister asserted his right as minister to direct their policies AND the law (but not investigations which is where the "political interference" rule stems from). Given that the Ammunition Bill DOES call for ALL sales of ammunition to be subject to presentation of a registration certificate for a firearm requiring that ammunition, and that it has only been mandated for handgun ammunition (the original intent) it appears to me that the Minister handed out some old fashioned direction to the NSW Police leadership.

So where does that leave this thread?

There is no way for the police to refuse your permit to acquire for a 338 Lapua Magnum, 408 Cheytac, 375 Snipetac or similar in NSW as they don't know what you bought until you do the transfer paperwork at the dealer. The PTA form does not call for you to indicate a cartridge of choice (although other states do have this) as there is no legislative instrument in NSW to prevent you owning whatever you want within the weapons classes you are licenced for.

The ammunition law does call for registration certificates to be presented for all ammunition purchases, but it is only being enforced for handgum ammunition.

Comment

Working...
        X