Cat H gunsafe specs in QLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat H gunsafe specs in QLD

Hello everyone, I'm in QLD and looking to buy a new gunsafe that will store, among other things, my (soon to be first), Cat H handgun.

Any website I've found offering specific "Cat H" safes all go on about how it's made of 6mm thick steel. (Not 3mm.)

As my own research has found nothing, my question is, does the 6mm thick rule apply to us in QLD.
    I've found plenty of Regs on safe storage and transport of guns, but not specifically if a Cat H safe must have any particular characteristics other than being steel, bolted down, and lockable.

Usually I'm happy to err on the side of caution in matters like this, but I'd like my new safe to be fireproof as well, and want to buy the right one, the first time. Keeping it all legal, of course.

Any help appreciated.
    Failure is not falling down, failure is not being pushed down, failure is choosing to stay down.

Originally posted by Scourge146" post=42478
    Hello everyone, I'm in QLD and looking to buy a new gunsafe that will store, among other things, my (soon to be first), Cat H handgun.

Any website I've found offering specific "Cat H" safes all go on about how it's made of 6mm thick steel. (Not 3mm.)

As my own research has found nothing, my question is, does the 6mm thick rule apply to us in QLD.
    I've found plenty of Regs on safe storage and transport of guns, but not specifically if a Cat H safe must have any particular characteristics other than being steel, bolted down, and lockable.

Usually I'm happy to err on the side of caution in matters like this, but I'd like my new safe to be fireproof as well, and want to buy the right one, the first time. Keeping it all legal, of course.

Any help appreciated.
    Bolted down steel, no mention on thickness in Qld. How you comply with that is up to you. I run an old bank safe, but hey, it suits my needs!!

Comment

Yeh no specified thickness in QLD, safe has to be made of steel and be bolted down for cat H but that is it.
      Always in need of just one more gun.

Comment

6mm thick is a requirement here in NSW, not sure about other states. I don't believe QLD has the same restriction.
        “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Not a requirement, yet, but maybe could be in future. Maybe prudent to get a 6mm thick one in case??
          [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
          [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
          [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
          [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
          [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Shooting Sports" post=42492
            Not a requirement, yet, but maybe could be in future. Maybe prudent to get a 6mm thick one in case??
            Dont feed ideas to antis......

More will leave the sport if a new safe is required, just dont even think it. Comply, yes, be more secure than asked yes, but never, in case they change the law....

Thanks for the replies. I though that's how it'd be, but I'm learning to consult the Brains-Trust here before doing anything rash or expensive.

As an aside, a safe that holds only 2-3 Rifles, is fireproof, and has more than 1x lockable internal compartment seems impossible to find. I already have a sizeable safe for my A-B rifles so don't want onother Big one.

I don't mind using a welder and paint, so I did consider simply installing a 2nd lockup compartment in my existing safe. But then it still wouldn't be fireproof. So the current plan is the big safe gets moved to the shed and I get the new one described above to go in the house.

Just have to find it. Or failing that, mod one up after all. Will keep looking.
          Failure is not falling down, failure is not being pushed down, failure is choosing to stay down.

Comment

The antis can think up these concepts already themselves
            I was offering practical advice.
            [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
            [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
            [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
            [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
            [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

• Yoshie
              Yoshie commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah not specified in QLD. I moved from QLD to ACT and had to upgrade all my safes, 3mm for AB and 6mm for H. It was good in my opinion. I'm much more confident in preventing unauthorized access to my guns.

If someone has the ability to cut through 3mm of steel then they'll get through 6mm no problems as well. It's a wank and provides a false sense of security for people.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Ratchet" post=43483
              If someone has the ability to cut through 3mm of steel then they'll get through 6mm no problems as well. It's a wank and provides a false sense of security for people.
              .....and if someone cuts through 6, they could cut through 9mm.....

It's all about delaying and making it hard to access if you had a burglary who just found your safe, as opposed to targeting you because they knew you had a safe.

• Yoshie
              Yoshie commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Ratchet" post=43483
              It's more about unauthorized access by burglars and children/teens who chance across your safe. I remember fooling around with granddads 303 that he kept on a cupboard downstairs, that's something I want to avoid with my kids.
          Working...
          X