QLD firearm inspection experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QLD firearm inspection experiences

So with a useful discussion on what the QPS are actually able to do winding down, I thought it might be a good idea to make sure they weren't being tarred with a brush that should be reserved for other State police forces.
    It is apparent that in other states, firearm inspections/audits seem to be legislated. It is clear from the Rick Mazza clip that some States see firearms owners as a revenue stream, and use the police as their collection agents; is that actually the case in QLD or are they playing fair and applying quid pro quo, where they get to do what upstairs tells them to, despite a lack of legal force, and we allow them to but don't get smashed in the process.

So, some questions for Queenslanders, if you have had a firearms/safe storage check, how did it go?
    In anticipation of a large response can we keep the first 5 answers to single words i.e. rural, townie or city for Q1, and Yes or No for 2-5.
    Go to town on the last one, let us know what we might expect.
    If you have a story about someone you know, feel free to post, but please say it's not first hand.
    If you've heard a story, from a bloke, about a bloke who new a bloke,,,,, could I please ask that you refrain from sharing it here.

Are you rural, townie or city dweller?
    Did you get advance warning?
    Did they want to open the safe?
    Did they check your firearms?
    Was their list accurate?
    What was the outcome?

Originally posted by tinytim" post=41519
    Are you rural, townie or city dweller? TOWNIE
    Did you get advance warning? NO
    Did they want to open the safe? YES
    Did they check your firearms? YES
    Was their list accurate? NO
    What was the outcome? They left satisfied & WLB sent me up-dated forearms lists - I could prove that I had legally acquired all firearms in my possession.

Comment

• Goddy
      Goddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Have had 2 safe inspections over the years
      Are you rural, townie or city dweller?townie, now city
      Did you get advance warning?yes, then no
      Did they want to open the safe?yes both times
      Did they check your firearms?yes, both times
      Was their list accurate?yes
      What was the outcome? very friendly, checked it out, where happy with how things where and they went on there way. Second time when the rolled up unannounced I was not at home. They where sent away and called me to arrange a suitable time.

Are you rural, townie or city dweller? City
    Did you get advance warning? Yep
    Did they want to open the safe? Yep
    Did they check your firearms? Nope see below
    Was their list accurate? Yep
    What was the outcome? My old man and I both store our rifles in the same safe. He got a letter from the local station asking if he could call and arrange a suitable time for them to come and do an audit. They checked serial numbers for his rifles against their list. Since I wasn't the one nominated for the audit all they did was ask which ones were mine and went on their way.

Comment

Are you rural, townie or city dweller? City
      Did you get advance warning? Yes - letter in the mail asking to call and arrange a suitable time
      Did they want to open the safe? Yes
      Did they check your firearms? Yes checked serial numbers
      Was their list accurate? Almost, missing the newest rifle I got about a month ago
      What was the outcome? As she was leaving I asked if we had to agree to the inspection out of curiosity. And she said yeah if you don't comply you loose your license. She didn't have anything to back this up but I didn't bother arguing with her :P Most police officer I've come across don't know a whole lot about firearms so I just left it.

Comment

i have one but it wasnt me, it was my local clay club,
        i drove in while the police were checking the werial numbers. they were just wanting to inspect and check all the guns in the safe held on the premises.

Are you rural, townie or city dweller? city
        Did you get advance warning? no
        Did they want to open the safe? yes
        Did they check your firearms? yes
        Was their list accurate? yes
        What was the outcome? they were just checking that the club wasn't storing any of the members guns without having them registered at that address for safe storage. there was one members gun n there from the day before and they took his member details and contacted him about it, he did not get in any trouble just warned that if it was there for more than 2 weeks he would have to change the safe storage address with WLB.

Comment

Working...
        X