fire arms laws in VIC

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • fire arms laws in VIC

    Hey I am thinking of moving to victoria. What are the firarms laws there like? What is the difficulty in a person who lives in another state getting licensed in VIC? anyone go the lowdown on this one.
    "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

  • #2
    If you want to go somewhere that the firearms laws are a bit less restrictive, why not one of the West African countries. I doubt you would need to worry about safe storage inspections there. Cat C and D, no worries.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Laflamme" post=41417
      Hey I am thinking of moving to victoria. What are the firarms laws there like? What is the difficulty in a person who lives in another state getting licensed in VIC? anyone go the lowdown on this one.


      Using a very broad brush, VIC has some of the better laws across the country. World record PTA - 8 mins. Hunting in State Forests largely not restricted (including plinking, apparently). Registry has not gone mental over supposedly "dangerous" aspects such as being able to view blue sky with the naked eye at a range. But for the dumb need to stipulate a calibre on a PTA (not holding my breath that NSW won't slip that under the radar soon enough, as has been mooted) seems pretty good all round.

      Comment


      • #4
        Best laws in the country...want a firearms licence?...28 days, no more. New firearm?...PTA in minutes or overnight. Hunt in State Forests?....no problems. Hunt in National Parks?...OK for deer in certain parts, just caliber restrictions on different species, no dramas. Who needs a rifle range when there are millions of hectares of State Forest.
        I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

        Comment


        • El-Skippo
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=41552
          Best laws in the country...want a firearms licence?...28 days, no more. New firearm?...PTA in minutes or overnight. Hunt in State Forests?....no problems. Hunt in National Parks?...OK for deer in certain parts, just caliber restrictions on different species, no dramas. Who needs a rifle range when there are millions of hectares of State Forest.
          I got to do the safty course. Even though I have held my WA since I was 18 but the nice people said I got no probs coming over and 3 months to get my Vic lic organized.

      • #5
        As for moving from QLD to VIC and changing over your licence check the Victoria Police website....it's all there, but you can look it up.
        I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

        Comment


        • #6
          I have moved license from SA to NT to VIC, all these three are fairly good. VIC has the better hunting regulations with no permits needed for non-game species (rabbit, fox, goat, pig) in state forest and no booking system like the old NSW system. You do need a permit for deer and duck.

          I had undertaken the SA required TAFE safety course, NT recognised this and licensed me without any test however VIC required me to undertake a safety course, only two hours at the local gun club, lecture then test. The SA TAFE course was actually far more detailed with a half day classroom and half day practical! go figure.

          None of NSW silly ammunition sales only for your licensed firearms - you can buy a packet if going out with a licensed mate if they have a different rifle. No imposing calibre or magazine restrictions - I think they shoot .50BMG at the little river range? don't know personally have never been.

          So overall as Sambar says quite sensible firearms laws. Of course things could be improved and we would like to have access to Personal Protective Equipment like sound suppressors but we'll keep lobbying for that.......

          Comment


          • Guest's Avatar
            Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by NewsteadVic" post=41642

            None of NSW silly ammunition sales only for your licensed firearms - you can buy a packet if going out with a licensed mate if they have a different rifle. No imposing calibre or magazine restrictions - I think they shoot .50BMG at the little river range? don't know personally have never been.
            They do shoot .50BMG, and Boys anti-tank rifles for that matter.

            /sigh

        • #7
          ...and our shooting ranges don't totally freak out if you fill your magazines...or want to have a shoot with bayonet attached (for those with service rifles)...
          Member of the Aunty Jack Firearm Appreciation Society - "Now be a good little Aussie and learn how to shoot or I'll rip your bloody arms off......and I will too!"

          "Have you tried unloading it then reloading it?" - Roy Trenneman on fixing firearm problems

          Comment


          • Sambar Country
            Sambar Country commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Dreadnought1" post=41711
            ...and our shooting ranges don't totally freak out if you fill your magazines...or want to have a shoot with bayonet attached (for those with service rifles)...
            What's a rifle range?....mine is the local State Forest.

        • #8
          On the subject if Vic Laws this section - part of Schedule 4 :

          (2) If more than 15 firearms are stored on the premises where the firearm is stored, the premises must be fitted with an intruder alarm system—
          (a) the installation, maintenance and operation of which complies with Australian Standard 2201.1:2007 (as amended from time to time); and
          (b) which, in the event of an intrusion, activates an audible alarm warning device and an external visible alarm warning light.

          In this case does the word 'premises' mean building, structure, block etc?? My question is - can you store up to 15 firearms in one safe in one building, and 15 firearms in another totally separate building , and still be OK?

          All will depend on the definition the Act uses for premises:

          http://www.thefreedictionary.com/premises
          4. premises
          a. Land and the buildings on it.
          b. A building or part of a building.

          Best to call I guess....

          Comment


          • TwoFourThree
            TwoFourThree commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by macca41" post=41993
            On the subject if Vic Laws this section - part of Schedule 4 :

            (2) If more than 15 firearms are stored on the premises where the firearm is stored, the premises must be fitted with an intruder alarm system—
            (a) the installation, maintenance and operation of which complies with Australian Standard 2201.1:2007 (as amended from time to time); and
            (b) which, in the event of an intrusion, activates an audible alarm warning device and an external visible alarm warning light.

            In this case does the word 'premises' mean building, structure, block etc?? My question is - can you store up to 15 firearms in one safe in one building, and 15 firearms in another totally separate building , and still be OK?

            All will depend on the definition the Act uses for premises:

            http://www.thefreedictionary.com/premises
            4. premises
            a. Land and the buildings on it.
            b. A building or part of a building.

            Best to call I guess....
            It is my understanding that 'premises' means a specific address, that is , Number 243, Tikka Street, Shootersville, Victoria.
            Regardless of the number of separate buildings (houses, sheds, etc.) If you have more than 15 firearms in total, spread over all the buildings, all the buildings must be alarmed etc.
            All in safes, of course.
            Note; this is not to be taken to be legal advice, if you really want to know, contact LRD.

          • inverness
            inverness commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by macca41" post=41993
            On the subject if Vic Laws this section - part of Schedule 4 :

            (2) If more than 15 firearms are stored on the premises where the firearm is stored, the premises must be fitted with an intruder alarm system—
            (a) the installation, maintenance and operation of which complies with Australian Standard 2201.1:2007 (as amended from time to time); and
            (b) which, in the event of an intrusion, activates an audible alarm warning device and an external visible alarm warning light.

            In this case does the word 'premises' mean building, structure, block etc?? My question is - can you store up to 15 firearms in one safe in one building, and 15 firearms in another totally separate building , and still be OK?

            All will depend on the definition the Act uses for premises:

            http://www.thefreedictionary.com/premises
            4. premises
            a. Land and the buildings on it.
            b. A building or part of a building.

            Best to call I guess....
            "PREMISES" = "ADDRESS"

          • Guest's Avatar
            Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Just got off the phone with VIC licensing. If you have more than 15 firearms, (eg. twenty) but have split them between two addresses, then an alarm is NOT needed at either address.

            Basically,

            Address A : 10 firearms
            Address B: 10 firearms

            No alarm needed at either.

            Address A: 16 firearms
            Address B: 4 firearms

            Alarm needed at address A only.

            If you wanted to get it in writing, go for it, but the way the question was answered as completely definitive, no grey area/ uncertainty by everyone I spoke to, with a 'durrh...' sort of flavor to it lol

        • #9
          Thanks TwoFourThree - that's what I assume in means, and will confirm.

          "Version No. 064 Firearms Act 1996 No. 66 of 1996 Version incorporating amendments as at 16 May 2012" does not define premises in it's nearly 26 pages of definitions.

          Comment


          • #10
            We are very fortunate in Vic. Turn around on licences and permits is super quick and more realistic laws and regs than other states.

            Comment


            • #11
              With all the talk of safe inspections and Vic laws, it got me thinking about a couple of grey ares. I just looked at the Act and can't see anything so I will probably call the DFO on Monday to check. If I do get an answer I'll pass it on, but in the meantime, does anyone know if empty 17 HMR cases need to be stored under lock and key and what are the rules for storing the key to the safe?

              Comment


              • Wombat
                Wombat commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by fxol" post=45524
                With all the talk of safe inspections and Vic laws, it got me thinking about a couple of grey ares. I just looked at the Act and can't see anything so I will probably call the DFO on Monday to check. If I do get an answer I'll pass it on, but in the meantime, does anyone know if empty 17 HMR cases need to be stored under lock and key and what are the rules for storing the key to the safe?
                Empty cases? Scrap brass can be stored however you like.
                I have two sets of safe keys, one always with me , the other in another safe. I'm unsure what the rules are but seem to recall not being accessible to anyone without the appropriate license, same as your firearms.

              • MrCarbine
                MrCarbine commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by fxol" post=45524
                With all the talk of safe inspections and Vic laws, it got me thinking about a couple of grey ares. I just looked at the Act and can't see anything so I will probably call the DFO on Monday to check. If I do get an answer I'll pass it on, but in the meantime, does anyone know if empty 17 HMR cases need to be stored under lock and key and what are the rules for storing the key to the safe?
                In Vic the key can not be stored in the same room as the safe. I do not know if the same applies for ammunition.
            Working...
            X