Change in QLD safe inspections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change in QLD safe inspections?

Has there been a change in QLD safe inspections regarding setting a time suitable to both parties. I'm hearing the odd statement they can now just rock up and demand access.

Anyone know what the state of affairs is?

Thanks

No the short answer is nothing has changed, They must contact you and arrange a suitable time!
    Hold still varmint, whilst I plugs ya!

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Bad Ass Wallace" post=36109
      They must contact you and arrange a suitable time!
      I believe this is a courtesy and not a requirement. Can you reference your statement?

The task to inspect is sent to your local police station who carry out the inspection. Whether they call you first or not is up to them.

I have been inspected once, the officer came on a Friday when I wasn't home and came back the following day.

I can't find it, but somewhere in the legislation it does state "at a mutually agreed time" . With over a 3 figure number of guns, I attract more attention and inspections than most!
    Hold still varmint, whilst I plugs ya!

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Bad Ass Wallace" post=36221
      somewhere in the legislation it does state "at a mutually agreed time"
      I don't think this is correct but am happy to be proved wrong.

The legislation only covers the requirements of storage.

You may be getting confused with the old government policy that they would call you first.
      "Licence holders selected in the audit will be given advanced notice of the inspection which will be arranged through the local police"
      http://www.ssaaqld.org.au/become-a-shooter/secure-storage

This has changed.

Sorry, meant the Weapons Act legislation does not cover the requirements of inspection, only storage. The power to inspect is found in s22 of PPRA.

Comment

• codebasher
      codebasher commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that. I recall hearing "A mutually agreed time" when I did my safety course in 2009. I'll do some research now that I have a better idea where to look.

One thing I will add.
    If Police suspect you have ILLEGAL Firearms they can (MUST) obtain a search warrant before entering.
    How do I know this!
    I have authorised & issued them in the past.
    [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
    [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
    [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
    [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
    [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Shooting Sports" post=40938
      One thing I will add.
      If Police suspect you have ILLEGAL Firearms they can (MUST) obtain a search warrant before entering.
      How do I know this!
      I have authorised & issued them in the past.
      Or they can ask you to let them in, which provides a far wider scope then a warrant!

Indeed Oddball.

That statement makes very little sense.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Forward!
    Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Comment

Why don't you just let them in, check your safe, check your firearms if they want to and be done with it. Job done.
      I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=41215
        Why don't you just let them in, check your safe, check your firearms if they want to and be done with it. Job done.
        Invasion of personal space????

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Why?
        Because I don't want armed police in my house.
        Because I am not a criminal,
        Because I do not conduct criminal activities from my house and I don't want some minor oversight on my part costing me, by way of an infringement notice, or losing my firearms, because some 'wet under the collar' policeman thinks I have deviated from the rules.
        Just be aware that once a policeman (any policeman) makes a decision, the ranks close. This is done to protect the integrity of the police force, so, right or wrong, you have to defend yourself from the full resource the police can throw at you. Trust me, you can't afford it.
        The law draws the line as to what the police can and can't, should and shouldn't do. They can no,t and should, not enter your house, full stop.
        I just got back from my daughters graduation where I spent most of the evening talking to a police inspector, his advice is the same as many others, NEVER talk to a policeman. Let them into your house at your peril!

• Laflamme
        Laflamme commented
        Editing a comment
        no offense but as stated its a legal liability. Nothing to gain and everything to lose. No self respecting lawyer would ever take a client who allowed an unlawful search and seizure. So the letter of the law is very important. And the law says they don't have the authority to do such a thing. Its called violating the law under the color of law.

I might understand this letter-of-the-law, don't-give-the-cops-an-inch thing in some other states, but why be unhelpful in Queensland?

I'm a good pinky left-of-centre chap, but:

I live in a LAFO-friendly state (it's like that whichever party is in power), and
      Qld WLB is particularly shooter-friendly and helpful to us, and
      The current Police Minister is shooter-friendly, and
      My local Sgt (rural area) is just a good bloke, and
      I know he's not going to look for any old thing to nick me for, so
      Why shouldn't I make his life as easy as possible?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by canetoadhunter" post=41783
        I might understand this letter-of-the-law, don't-give-the-cops-an-inch thing in some other states, but why be unhelpful in Queensland?

I'm a good pinky left-of-centre chap, but:

I live in a LAFO-friendly state (it's like that whichever party is in power), and
        Qld WLB is particularly shooter-friendly and helpful to us, and
        The current Police Minister is shooter-friendly, and
        My local Sgt (rural area) is just a good bloke, and
        I know he's not going to look for any old thing to nick me for, so
        Why shouldn't I make his life as easy as possible?
        There is another thread running to establish if QLD is the friendly state. If it is, no problem, you are rural and everything generally is fine and dandy in rural Australia where the police are still part of the community. In towns and cities it can be a bit different, the other thread on inspection experiences is running to establish how we are actually treated.
    Working...
    X