X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ease at getting a Category C/D firearms licence

G'day everybody,

I want to ask all of you a question, is getting a Category C/D firearms licence "not that hard" as many of the posters here say or are they blowing smoke up our butts?

From my personal experience, the vast majority of LAFOs in Australia (that means the vast majority of the members here) are effectively banned from legally owning Category C/D firearms and the ownership of these kind of firearms are restricted to just farmers and professional animal cullers (I know that you can own Cat C/D firearms under a Collector's licence provided that the firearms are deactivated)). Because of that, I'm all in favour of seeing these bastard gun laws John Howard rammed down our throats back in 1996 and 2002 being torn up and have Category C/D firearms re-legalised for the vast majority of LAFOs once again.

Here we go again .....

http://youtu.be/PGNiXGX2nLU

Comment

I was only asking a legitimate question, El-Skippo. No more, no less.

Comment

• El-Skippo
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Just play nice ....

If not, you guys know the end result.

The real question is whether or not Jase is actually a bot. :P
      "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

Depends on your situation to be honest, if you own a good sized piece of land a cat C isn't all that hard to get.

Cat D in most states from my understanding is a PITA, the requirements to get the license basically require you to either have a vertebrate pest control business or operate as a sole trader in the vertebrate pest control business. If you have the free time to run a business and all the rest just for the sake of the Cat D license then power to you but it's far to hard for most of us. Also in most states the storage requirements are pretty onerous.

I would say anyone that says a Cat D is easy is blowing smoke out their arse.
        Always in need of just one more gun.

Comment

• Roughneck Jase
          Roughneck Jase commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Varagner" post=32298
          Depends on your situation to be honest, if you own a good sized piece of land a cat C isn't all that hard to get.

Cat D in most states from my understanding is a PITA, the requirements to get the license basically require you to either have a vertebrate pest control business or operate as a sole trader in the vertebrate pest control business. If you have the free time to run a business and all the rest just for the sake of the Cat D license then power to you but it's far to hard for most of us. Also in most states the storage requirements are pretty onerous.

I would say anyone that says a Cat D is easy is blowing smoke out their arse.
          Thank you for confirming what I already know about the bans and restrictions imposed upon us, Varagner.

Because of that, my desire to see these bans and restrictions on Category C/D firearms overturned still remains strong as ever.

If it was easy they woulndt have bothered taking them away and making restrictions that were easy to get around.
        Look into it.

hmmm sounded rude, im just tired gotta get up in 5hrs.

You get my drift
        I will do this one day when I have something worthwhile to put in here.

Comment

Originally posted by Roughneck Jase" post=32284
          G'day everybody,

I want to ask all of you a question, is getting a Category C/D firearms licence "not that hard" as many of the posters here say or are they blowing smoke up out butts?
          You either fulfill the requirements or or don't.
          Cat C main reasons
          1 - Primary production. Prove you have primary production status.
          2 - Target shooting - either medical or you owned a semi prior to '96.
          3 - Pest control
          4 - Juniors

There's probably quite a few people who could satisfy the target shooting requirements but can't be bothered with the hassle.

In the last year both my brother and I have applied for Cat C licenses. He's a farmer, I'm a target shooter.
          I applied for Cat C on my son's junior permit - it's only a bit of paperwork to get it when you're under 18.
          He has the opportunity to use a semi for the next 5-6 years until he turns 18.

The more the merrier.

I think before you can get current laws altered, there needs to be demonstrable stats supporting any argument.

If you can meet the requirements then go for it.
          Getting the licence was only paperwork. Buying a new gun is a harder due to lack of supply.

Comment

• Roughneck Jase
            Roughneck Jase commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Nigel-l" post=32304
            Originally posted by Roughneck Jase" post=32284
            G'day everybody,

I want to ask all of you a question, is getting a Category C/D firearms licence "not that hard" as many of the posters here say or are they blowing smoke up out butts?
            You either fulfill the requirements or or don't.
            Cat C main reasons
            1 - Primary production. Prove you have primary production status.
            2 - Target shooting - either medical or you owned a semi prior to '96.
            3 - Pest control
            4 - Juniors

There's probably quite a few people who could satisfy the target shooting requirements but can't be bothered with the hassle.

In the last year both my brother and I have applied for Cat C licenses. He's a farmer, I'm a target shooter.
            I applied for Cat C on my son's junior permit - it's only a bit of paperwork to get it when you're under 18.
            He has the opportunity to use a semi for the next 5-6 years until he turns 18.

The more the merrier.

I think before you can get current laws altered, there needs to be demonstrable stats supporting any argument.

If you can meet the requirements then go for it.
            Getting the licence was only paperwork. Buying a new gun is a harder due to lack of supply.
            Looks like I don't meet the requirements, Nigel-l. I'm a recreational target shooter who shoots at a rifle range and is a member of a shooting organisation (SSAA). I don't know anybody who owns a farm/property, I don't have any health issues that would allow me to use a semi-auto longarm, I never owned a semi-auto rifle before 1996, and I'm in my early 30s.

On another note, Nigel-l. If we are to get these bans and restrictions on semi-auto longarms and pump-action shotguns overturned and made legal for the majority of LAFOs once again, we really need to "win the hearts and minds" of the general population i.e going grassroots. Win the support of the general population, we deny the politicians, the media and the anti-gun movement their ability to spread their anti-gun venom and bile.

I think the humble semi auto 22lr got caught up in the 96 laws and even with the c licence your only aloud a 5 shot mag I think . Then again not sure on that one most 10/22s are ten shot . We should be able own a ten shot 10/22 on our a/b licences . I don't believe they fit the criteria for which they were banned . Fortunately I won't loose any sleep over it thou it's just a little disappointing .

Comment

Here's the Vic Cat C genuine reasons table... even as a pre-1996 semi auto owner, I'm ineligible to apply for a Cat C
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Lic-Category-Genuine-Reason-Table.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	45082

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by macca41" post=32329
              Here's the Vic Cat C genuine reasons table... even as a pre-1996 semi auto owner, I'm ineligible to apply for a Cat C
              Were you a member of the SSAA, ACTA, VFGA etc pre '96?
              You only need to demonstrate membership of an approved target shooting organisation pre '96 and show current membership.

Do you have a Junior that requires supervision of a Cat C?

• Greenwich-biker
              Greenwich-biker commented
              Editing a comment
              What's all this "owned a semi-auto pre 1996" ???

Must be a north island thing

Hi Nigel-I - no mate, I was a primary producer back in the late 70's and 80's and it was used for controlling foxes and bunnies...and no kids I know interested in taking up the sport sadly....

Comment

Probably your only other recourse is to become a dealer, Jase.

I've held, briefly just to feel its weight (but only watched) a beautiful specimen of a Lithgow L1A1 being shot at a range, alongside members of my club (who had mausers, SMLEs etc)

Same dealer also shot an M1 Carbine there. I sighed :lol:

Comment

• Roughneck Jase
                Roughneck Jase commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by zhuk" post=32580
                Probably your only other recourse is to become a dealer, Jase.

I've held, briefly just to feel its weight (but only watched) a beautiful specimen of a Lithgow L1A1 being shot at a range, alongside members of my club (who had mausers, SMLEs etc)

Same dealer also shot an M1 Carbine there. I sighed :lol:
                Thanks for the suggestion, zhuk. However, I don't have the money to start my own firearms dealer's business.

Besides, I'd rather fight to get these guns re-legalised for average LAFOs once again. These retarded gun laws we have need to be torn down in a major way. Howard and his ilk took something away from us back in 1996 and 2002, we have to reclaim what we have lost.

Three things for you jase
              1: read and understand the legislation
              2: it helps if you have your own business and that business pays you, you then label your pay as something like "carcass fee", it also helps if your business name doesn't elude to what the business does, I.e. a business name of "John citizen plumbing" will raise some suspicion when you state that the business is in the feral animal destruction business more so then "John citizen and sons"
              3: its all about what you can prove not what you actually do

The other things like contracts etc are easy....

Hope this helps you, I don't want too post too much on the subject....
              I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Jase, you can always look at IPSC in W.A.

Comment

I think the reigns on cat C should be loosened to accommodate sporting and recreational shooters, that would be the place to start IMO. There's absolutely no reason why semi auto .22's and pump actions should be so heavily restricted.

It hurts my head to think that i can be trusted with a pump action rifle with a thirty round mag and a semi auto handgun, but putting a 10/22 in my hands would some how make me far too dangerous.

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by Jackboot_Johnny" post=34248
                    I think the reigns on cat C should be loosened to accommodate sporting and recreational shooters, that would be the place to start IMO. There's absolutely no reason why semi auto .22's and pump actions should be so heavily restricted.

It hurts my head to think that i can be trusted with a pump action rifle with a thirty round mag and a semi auto handgun, but putting a 10/22 in my hands would some how make me far too dangerous.
                    Cat C in particular is load of bollocks.
                    That there is no path to qualify or upgrade your licence to progress from an A/B to a C is perhaps an avenue that could be explored.
                    You either meet the requirements or you don't - there is no course to be done or path you can follow to qualify for ownership.
                    Even if you had to go through a probationary period to qualify, it'd be a start.

Like I mentioned above - My 12yo son can handle a semi under supervision, but the moment he turns 18, he somehow becomes dangerous despite having had 5-6 years of experience in handling one in the meantime.
                    Under current laws he is not eligible to own or use one once he comes of age.

What I can't get my head around is that you're allowed to own and use a far more powerrful centrefire rifle (ignoring the action type for the moment) but a 12 guage semi is considered more dangerous.
                    I could go an get a PTA for a .338 magnum and I'd be ready to shop in about a week.
                    Even with a Cat C licence, I just can't go down to the LGS ad buy a new 12 guage semi without more paperwork.

My contribution - If you shoot clay targets and you have a Junior that needs a licence - then ensure you add Cat C to their Junior Permit whether it ever gets used or not - doesn';t cost any more.
                    Increased applications for eligible Cat C licences begins to demonstrate a need to the powers that be.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for change.
                    We did however score a relaxation to Game licensing in the last year which removes some of the onerous requirements for Juniors to do a Waterfowl ID test. The reason being, that they already need to be under supervision to use a firearm and this should extend to the identification of suitable waterfowl. The cost has also been removed.

• Roughneck Jase
                    Roughneck Jase commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by Jackboot_Johnny" post=34248

Jackboot_Johnny.

I'm not content with just getting Category C opened up like so many members here. I'm all in favour of seeing the reins on both Category C AND D being loosened up to accommodate sporting and recreational shooters as we can't have one without the other.

I want to ask you all a question. How long has the pro-gun movement in Australia been advocating the "get Cat C re-legalised first, get Cat D re-legalised later" approach? From my personal knowledge, it seems that our side has been using this approach 1996 and it hasn't worked in getting the bans and restriction on both Cat C and Cat D rolled back.

Because of that, I advocate that our side change tactics and get both Cat C and Cat D re-legalised together and at the same time. If you all want to used Ruger 10/22s, you need to get the semi-auto centrefire rifles like AR-15s re-legalised at the same time as well. As I've said in my previous posts, our enemies see all semi-auto rifles, all semi-auto shotguns, and all pump-action shotguns (regardless of their calibre and magazine capacity) as evil WMDs/death machines so we need to show people that all semi-auto longarms and pump-action shotguns are not the evil WMDs the anti-gunners and their supporters pain them to be.

Comment

Working...
                  X