NSW Gun Safe laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSW Gun Safe laws

I bought a gun safe from my LGS a few years back and didn't think to check the min requirements in Australia. The safe which is just for A/B longarms only has two bolt holes in the rear and none on the floor. The floor is tiled anyway so I'm not keen to drill through it to find a beam.
    Looking at the guidelines it looks like you need 4 securing points which means I'm two short.
    Should I attempt drilling through the safe at the back or cut my losses, buy a new one and find a new LGS?

Heckler
    To my knowledge pistol safes are to be 6mm steel with 12mm door
    and constructed in a way that the door cannot be opened if the hinges are cut off
    Better buy a second hand safe
    Yes they do need 4 bolts in the base

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      The police will come to your premises, take into consideration the location of your safe and how secure the room is, inspect reasonable fastening is used, then pull, push and try to move the safe using reasonable body weight/force if the safe dose not jiggle or appear like it may come loose it will pass.

there is no legal requirement for a minimum of 4 dyno bolts, how if the safe jiggles or moves you will need to use as many as needed to secure it.

if you want to be on the cautious side then drill 2 more holes and put 2 dyno bolts into the wall, position them toward the corners of the safe for better stability.

These are the safe keeping requirements for A/B as stated in Firearms Act 1996.

There is no minimum requirement for material wall thickness!
      There is no minimum requirement for number of, or type of device used to secure the safe or where it is to be secured!
      You will not find a safe in any gun shop that has been approved by the commissioner.

The catch is in the General requirement, "A person who possesses a firearm must take all reasonable precautions to ensure"

Firearms Act 1996

Part 4 Safe keeping of firearms
      (cf APMC 8, 1989 Act s 12)

39 General requirement
      (1) A person who possesses a firearm must take all reasonable precautions to ensure:
      (a) its safe keeping, and
      (b) that it is not stolen or lost, and
      (c) that it does not come into the possession of a person who is not authorised to possess the firearm.
      Maximum penalty: 50 penalty units or imprisonment for 2 years, or both, if it is established beyond reasonable doubt that the firearm concerned was a prohibited firearm or a pistol, or 20 penalty units or imprisonment for 12 months, or both, in any other case.

(2) The regulations may specify the precautions that are taken to be reasonable precautions for the purposes of this section.

40 Category A and category B licence requirements
      (1) The holder of a category A or category B licence must comply with the following requirements in respect of any firearm to which the licence applies:
      (a) when any such firearm is not actually being used or carried, it must be stored in a locked receptacle of a type approved by the Commissioner and that is constructed of hard wood or steel and not easily penetrable,
      (b) if such a receptacle weighs less than 150 kilograms when empty, it must be fixed in order to prevent its easy removal,
      (c) the locks of such a receptacle must be of solid metal and be of a type approved by the Commissioner,
      (d) any ammunition for the firearm must be stored in a locked container of a type approved by the Commissioner and that is kept separate from the receptacle containing any such firearm,
      (e) such other requirements relating to security and safe storage as may be prescribed by the regulations.
      Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units or imprisonment for 12 months, or both.

(2) A licensee does not have to comply with the requirements of this section if the licensee satisfies the Commissioner that the licensee has provided alternative arrangements for the storage of firearms in the licensee’s possession that are of a standard not less than the requirements set out in this section.

heckler just drill 2 more holes in the back no need for a new safe.

Comment

Thanks for the info. im only going into a wall stud so I can't place on the sides. It's in an internal storage room that I can lock if it helps but at the end of the day with a decent shove on a tyre Lever you could rip the whole stud out I guess but surely any one in timber home is in the same position.

Comment

Drill two more holes far away from the first.

Its stated on the police website it should have atleast 4 anchors. May not be in the act but if it is stolen and they prove there were only two holes they are likely to charge you with failing to take "all reasonable precautions to ensure the firearm is
        kept safely, is not lost or stolen and does not come into the possession of an unauthorised person"

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/131178/Safe_Storage_Level_One_-_FACT_Sheet_-_March_2012.pdf
        “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          ok Thanks I'll try and find a drill bit to do the job
      Working...
      X