Safe Storage of Guns at Gun Club email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe Storage of Guns at Gun Club email

Just had this from the SSAA - I wonder where the 27 open vehicles were found:

Another important reminder about safe storage of firearms

When at a range, firearms not being used MUST be locked your vehicle.

Police have started checking vehicles at clubs to see that shooters are not leaving guns in un-locked cars. Police will confiscate firearms that are not secured properly and there is a risk of losing your license as well as being charged.

Allegedly, recently police found some 27 cars un-locked at one club.

Random checks will continue to occur more and more frequently at Gun Clubs, so please be sure to lock your guns away when not in use, and store ammunition correctly.

That's why we lock the big gate at the club.

Club members have their own keys.

Thanks...

Comment

• DeadMeat
      DeadMeat commented
      Editing a comment
      Hehe, same as ours! Too funny! :P

Originally posted by Maverick" post=29105

Thanks...

• jasmay
      jasmay commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Maverick" post=29105

Thanks...

Not sure that would cover it, although it might keep the popo from popping in unexpected.

"When not in your immediate control"
    What about indoor ranges?
    Plenty of blokes go outside for smokes and lunch and leave their rifles unattended on benches.

Comment

Originally posted by macca41" post=29101
      Just had this from the SSAA - I wonder where the 27 open vehicles were found:

Another important reminder about safe storage of firearms

When at a range, firearms not being used MUST be locked your vehicle.

Police have started checking vehicles at clubs to see that shooters are not leaving guns in un-locked cars. Police will confiscate firearms that are not secured properly and there is a risk of losing your license as well as being charged.

Allegedly, recently police found some 27 cars un-locked at one club.

Random checks will continue to occur more and more frequently at Gun Clubs, so please be sure to lock your guns away when not in use, and store ammunition correctly.
      Might have been near Castlemaine. Got a similar message from Field & Game Australia.
      No number was mentioned though.

A new meaning for the phrase "Stranger Danger"
      This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

• several
        several commented
        Editing a comment
        More wasted police manpower, i can't help but think there is more pressing problems in society they could be looking at instead of who locks their car at the range.

Who wouldnt lock their car at the range? Especially with guns/ammo in them?
      Good thing I sandbagged the [email protected]#k out of that match or I'd be B Grade in Classic now too................

Comment

• Rat man407
        Rat man407 commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Matt" post=29378
        Who wouldnt lock their car at the range? Especially with guns/ammo in them?
        i normaly have all my rifles and ammo in on the range with me so normaly my utes unlocked with windows down and the keys on the front seat

If only the cops spent this much time and effort on catching criminals......

Comment

If I'm bringing a second firearm to the range it stays with the club Duty Officer manning the desk...even if my car had a boot I'd think twice about leaving it locked in the car (that kinda area lol)

Comment

• MrCarbine
          MrCarbine commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by zhuk" post=29418
          If I'm bringing a second firearm to the range it stays with the club Duty Officer manning the desk...even if my car had a boot I'd think twice about leaving it locked in the car (that kinda area lol)
          That must be one big desk and one bussy Duty Officer.
          What I want to now is since when has the car become a safe? can you store them at home in a locked car? How about ... there are so many other situations. That's crazy!!

At the range I attend, we were told there were car break ins and not to leave firearms unattended in the car.

We carry our firearms with us at all times (pistol) anyway. With longarms users they will leave it on the bench as there are two RO's who are aware of who is shooting where and they notify the RO if they are leaving their station to go have a smoke or whatever.

I just think it is common sense not to leave firearms in the car if you are at the range regardless if it is locked. If someone was scoping the carpark out...and they see you put it in the boot and go back inside... it will take not even 10 seconds to smash the window...flip the boot unlock switch and grab them and drive off..

The two biggest risks I see to losing your firearms is
        A) leaving it unattended in a vehicle
        being followed home from the range for a break in at a later date.
        Highly unlikely for them to be taken from inside the range..

A: is easily avoidable
        B: due diligence in ensuring you look around you while your loading your firearms in the car to see if anyone is just sitting inside a vehicle or standing around...and if anyone leaves after you do or seems to be taking the same turns you do consistently then consider not returning home directly but taking an alternative route.
        Not paranoia..just safe practice.

Both don't require any real effort to do and things like this won't happen. Just because it may be law in certain states that it is ok to leave it in the boot locked doesn't mean its the wisest thing to do..Sometimes you have to go above and beyond like buying a proper safe vs some cheap school locker thing that just meets the minimum requirements but could be breached easily.

Sure you are complying with the law, but i know my guns aren't going to be taken from me, unless someone wants to go through 30 people first to get to me even if I am not shooting.

Comment

The problem is people leaving guns in unlocked cars at a range. Firearms have been stolen from range carparks because of this and this is why there is a 'crackdown'. Probably fairly common for guns to be put in cars at a shotgun range between rounds / events.
          I f the gun is locked in the boot or otherwise out of sight (and secure) and the ammunition is secured separately then you have taken all reasonable steps to prevent the theft or loss of the gun (unless your states laws require some other standard)

Your car, when empty, weighs more than 150 kgs. (so does not have to be bolted down.) It's boot is constructed of steel that is not easily penetrable, and is fitted with a lock of sturdy construction. Your car boot meets the storage requirements for A/ B longarms (in Vic. anyway) and is OK as long as you are away from that firearms ordinary storage address. That is, fine for everywhere except your garage or carport.
          This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

• MrCarbine
            MrCarbine commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by TwoFourThree" post=30635
            Your car, when empty, weighs more than 150 kgs. (so does not have to be bolted down.) It's boot is constructed of steel that is not easily penetrable, and is fitted with a lock of sturdy construction. Your car boot meets the storage requirements for A/ B longarms (in Vic. anyway) and is OK as long as you are away from that firearms ordinary storage address. That is, fine for everywhere except your garage or carport.
            You are wrong!!
            Please do not make up your own legal advice.

I just bring all my guns out of the car onto the range with me, saves repeat trips.
          Always in need of just one more gun.

Comment

I did raise this issue on the old forum. Depending on state legislation there is "transporting firearms" and 'safe storage when away from your safe storage facility". As soon as you leave your vehicle, you are no longer transporting. In QLD this means no more than having a trigger lock (or action lock) and the firearm locked in your vehicle, in a container, out of sight. That said, if the police opened the vehicle it could be construed as an illegal search; you would need a good barrister to argue that though.
            In short, everyone MUST transport as per the "safe storage when away,,,, "and ensure you lock the vehicle when you leave it. Servo, gun shop, range or whatever, lock your vehicle.

Comment

Remember a lot of modern cars also have a "deadlock" system on boot catches. A flick of a small lever usually on or around the boot lock itself disables the interior boot release lever and also on some cars locks the fold down seat action (or there are separate catch's for them too). The only way the boot can be opened then is with the key.
              In a few (if not all) states it's illegal to leave keys in an unattended vehicle to reduce car-theft and theft from vehicles.
              We follow the laws laid down by the powers that be, whether they make sense sometimes or not even when a pita, we should also make certain we do the utmost even if above and beyond the requirements/law to ensure our firearms are safe and secure. Then those that are anti firearms can not point the finger (well they will but it can be refuted more easily).
              Apart from proving you did the best to secure your firearms and getting to keep your license ($$$$) you then, if successful have to replace said firearms (even more $$$$).
              I have bolted in the boot of my car 2 x 3mm plate welded boxes with covered hasp abus padlocks. Perhaps overkill but I know when I go to the range my pistol is secure and if stopped along the way by police it definitely will meet their approval. One is for my pistol the other for ammunition.
              That's my take and 2c worth.

Comment

Working...
              X