Review into NSW Firearms Registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review into NSW Firearms Registry

Many NSW shooters will know the state government announced a review into the NSW Firearms Registry, back in July. Well, it's now starting to happen and there's a 3 week period for public submissions starting 1 Nov. There 's an online survey at - http://www.haveyoursay.nsw.gov.au/consultations/nsw-firearms-registry/?date=2013-11-01
    Note - there's an email link on the survey page for you to send more detailed submissions.
    Recent press release - http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/nsw-firearms-registry-under-review/story-fni0xqi4-1226749193523

The cynic in me points out that most government reviews into their own departments are usually only after they've already figured out what they want to happen. For example, they have already signaled a $5 million IT upgrade and the introduction of a "Smart Card". It is usually felt that a review is required to justify the costs to parliament and the public. However, despite the fact we might feel it's already a "done deal", I'd urge all NSW shooters to make a submissions. If they get enough good submissions they can affect the outcome. It's happened before.

And the Registry could use some help. As the Secretary of a NSW club I deal with them regularly and I have to say the front line staff are a very helpful bunch. The problems are mostly in systems (antiquated) and policy (interpretations of regulations). Every one us needs to interact with the Registry, at least once every few years, so now is our chance to see if we can help improve it. With some 200,000 licence holders in NSW, even a small percentage of submissions represents a big body of correspondence, so I urge everyone to make a submission.

Regards
    Paul D

Survey done, thanks for the info.

Comment

done and done thx for posting the link.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Basically the pre-arrived decision is that they want to implement the 'smart-card'.

If this survey gets panned by shooters, it will basically justify the implementation of the 'smart-card' in order to improve the system.

Maybe some more informed people who have been campaigning on LAFO issues could offer a bit more insight or opinions regarding the process and matter at hand.

I personally think that the best security is to have nothing to secure, in other words, there shouldn't be a repository of data on LAFO's and their possessions, but I think we all understand that abolishing the registry isn't going to happen.

I am currently studying evaluative social research as a subject at uni, and the commissioning of this to an an external evaluator, (or consultant) is something quite positive...

Positive being dependent on the submissions put forth.
      I will encourage all of you to send your own submission to this email address.
      [email protected]

Submissions made in this manner will be held more highly than 'comments' in the survey.
      It will be 100 times more efficient.

In your response make sure you use buzzwords like 'stakeholder', 'public interest', and so forth. (these are the words they're trained to use).
      Ie. As a licensed, law-abiding, stakeholder in relation to these proposed changes'.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        If I understand this review correctly, it is to basically allow the introduction of a smart card which will enable police to track firearms and ammunition purchases more closely?

So no more books at the firearm store, you just scan the license to buy, instead of them writing it down for all to see?

What do you guys think/

This is the actual terms of reference,

I fully expect things will change , mostly for the better, but given they may well be moving to a "user pays" system, expect big increases in fees. I just hope its not as bad as WA where PTA cost around $170.
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X