NSW Explosives Regulation 2013

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NSW Explosives Regulation 2013

    Far as I know, this snuck under the proverbial radar.

    So I believe, previously it was allowable for a LAFO to possess up to 10kg of propellant powder per firearm, these Regulations dated September 1, repealing the 2005 Regulation, now only allow for 12kg. In total.

    Corrections welcome if I've missed something here


    48 Ammunition


    (1) A person who is a licensed
    firearms dealer under the
    Firearms Act 1996
    is not required to be authorised by
    a licence in order to possess, store,
    transport, sell or supply:

    (a) ammunition, or
    (b) percussion caps, or
    (c) not more than 12 kg of propellant powder.


    (2) A person who holds a licence or a permit under the
    Firearms Act 1996
    (other than a firearms collector li
    cence) that authorises the person to
    possess or use a firearm is not required to be authorised by a licence in
    order to possess, use, store or transport:

    (a) ammunition, or
    (b) percussion caps, or
    (c) not more than 12 kg of propellant powder

    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/n...30a2013521.pdf

  • #2
    Hmmmm, interesting. I wonder if this has anything to do with revelations from the 'States that the Boston Bombers used powder in their homemade explosive devices, & the coppers here are worried that the Aussie jihadists will get the same idea? If this is the case then they've missed the mark since actual purchases are unaffected, and potential terrorists would not be too concerned with exceeding the 12kg possession rule.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah, weird that criminals the world over don't seem too bothered about breaking laws isn't it

      Comment


      • #4
        I think it might have more to do with the recent case against Top Score Projectiles.

        Not 100% sure but that's my theory.

        Cheers,

        Nuzo

        Comment


        • Guest's Avatar
          Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by NuZo" post=16407
          I think it might have more to do with the recent case against Top Score Projectiles.

          Not 100% sure but that's my theory.

          Cheers,

          Nuzo
          Ahhh yes, I remember that one now; seems that he "stuck it to the man" and won. You can always trust bureaucrats to move the goalposts out of spite without hesitation whenever they are publicly proven to be wrong about something...

      • #5
        I'm guessing the 12 kg restriction would not be too onerous for most shooters ( except for competition shotgunners maybe).

        I've always got by with less than 6kg most of which was AP50. For me, 500g of each rifle powder is easily enough for 6 months shooting in that calibre.

        However, I would be cheesed off to miss a great deal on discounted powder just because of a BS restriction.

        I also note that some home insurance policies have restrictions on powders stored in private homes. And I don't the firies are too keen on entering homes on fire that are used to store bulk quantities of powders.

        Comment


        • Guest's Avatar
          Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Stan 66" post=16430
          I'm guessing the 12 kg restriction would not be too onerous for most shooters ( except for competition shotgunners maybe).

          I've always got by with less than 6kg most of which was AP50. For me, 500g of each rifle powder is easily enough for 6 months shooting in that calibre.

          However, I would be cheesed off to miss a great deal on discounted powder just because of a BS restriction.

          I also note that some home insurance policies have restrictions on powders stored in private homes. And I don't the firies are too keen on entering homes on fire that are used to store bulk quantities of powders.
          It doesn't say you can't purchase it

        • Guest's Avatar
          Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Well Stan, it dosent look like you shoot 10 different calibers in different competitions. Looks like a trip to buy powder every 2 weeks

      • #6
        I like to have / buy at lest 4 kg per firearm at any one time, so 12 kg don't get me anywhere near what i need or use

        Comment


        • H-Train
          H-Train commented
          Editing a comment
          I was under the impression it was 10kg per firearm reloaded for, so this is actually a reduction ?

        • Guest's Avatar
          Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by tactical" post=16553
          I like to have / buy at lest 4 kg per firearm at any one time, so 12 kg don't get me anywhere near what i need or use

          Same with lots of LAFOs. Particularly those in more rural areas where it might make sense to stock up when you can get it (just noticed yr location)

      • #7
        12kg of any powder? Uh oh better get rid of the flour..

        Comment


        • Guest's Avatar
          Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by QuickShooter" post=16599
          12kg of any powder? Uh oh better get rid of the flour..
          lol

      • #8
        Another point - since (apparently) this was not publicised to the shooting community (can find no mention of new any regulations on FAR's site) what would be the implications for those having safe storage inspections where an officer came across more than 12kg?


        And before anyone points this out, yes I know the onus is on us to acquaint ourselves with legislation and adhere to it. But this seemed to be buried in amongst some austlii.edu.au documents which is hardly publicising it to any great extent.

        Comment


        • #9
          It all comes down to the fact that the government does not want us to have guns. They won't come out at just ban them all, so they just make it harder and harder. We can't shoot if we don't have ranges or access to ammunition.

          It has nothing to do with our safety, workplace safety, transportation safety or crime rates... they just want the guns gone, so that they can say "we got all the guns off the streets so now there will be no more crime" to the local newspaper and Greens... then sit back and wonder why all firearm related violent crime is still happening.

          Comment


          • 17fireball
            17fireball commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Quinny" post=16696
            It all comes down to the fact that the government does not want us to have guns. They won't come out at just ban them all, so they just make it harder and harder. We can't shoot if we don't have ranges or access to ammunition.

            It has nothing to do with our safety, workplace safety, transportation safety or crime rates... they just want the guns gone, so that they can say "we got all the guns off the streets so now there will be no more crime" to the local newspaper and Greens... then sit back and wonder why all firearm related violent crime is still happening.
            Exactly what it's all about

          • Guest's Avatar
            Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Quinny" post=16696
            they just want the guns gone, so that they can say "we got all the guns off the streets so now there will be no more crime" to the local newspaper and Greens... then sit back and wonder why all firearm related violent crime is still happening.
            Then they can ban guns again, after all it would have worked the first time, so why shouldn't banning banned guns work again...
            [/sarcasm]

        • #10
          This is in fact a 2kg increase in what was legal to have before the change. It was 10 kg.

          From the old fact Explosives Sheet 7: Handling ammunition and explosives-
          If you store for sale more than 10kg of propellant powder and/or gunpowder, you need a licence to store from WorkCover.
          If you need to store more that 12 kg of gunpowder then load it into ammunition. (There is no limit then.)

          Comment


          • richo
            richo commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought you had a 10,000 loaded round limit

          • Guest's Avatar
            Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by GLeslie8" post=27510
            This is in fact a 2kg increase in what was legal to have before the change. It was 10 kg.

            From the old fact Explosives Sheet 7: Handling ammunition and explosives-
            If you store for sale more than 10kg of propellant powder and/or gunpowder, you need a licence to store from WorkCover.
            If you need to store more that 12 kg of gunpowder then load it into ammunition. (There is no limit then.)

            Nope, it used to be 10kg per firearm. Did you notice in your quote the words "for sale" also.

            What the case involving Robert Conway of Topscore was all about.


            WorkCover's interpretation of the regulation was 10kg per person, whereas the actual regulation at that time stated 10kg per firearm in the NSW Explosives Regulation under section 51.2.b. Robert Conway decided to fight their interpretation of the regulation. The local court magistrate ruled in favour of Conway, recognising the correct interpretation of the regulation (as it was then) as being 10kg per firearm.

        • #11
          Not good. I have always tried to buy enough powder and projectiles to see out the life of each barrel i have.
          Will have to look into building a "safe storage" and getting licenced to store more.
          Quinny you are spot on. The idea is too make it so hard we just give up.
          As for our political representatives they are asleep at the wheel. Got spanked by Barry a few times already.
          Looks like more paper work for me.
          cheers

          Comment


          • #12
            I had no idea that Tannerite was still legal somewhere Lol


            Snowflake's chance in hell in NSW or QLD

            Comment

            Working...
            X