SA police news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA police news

SA Police believe tough new gun laws, announced by the State Government today, will help make SA safer, and remove illegal weapons like these from the community.

“We believe these amendments to the Firearms Act will improve public safety,” said Assistant Commissioner Linda Williams.

“This legislation will be focused squarely on illegal weapons and the criminals who use them.

“Police are dedicated in their resolve to take illegal guns - and the people who make, sell or use them - off our streets, and we believe these laws will help us do that.”

The proposed legislation will:

Make it an offence to traffic in firearms, with a maximum penalty of 20 years in jail.

Broaden possession legislation to make it an aggravating factor if unlawful weapon is loaded, exposing the offender to a maximum penalty of a $75,000 fine or 15 years in jail.

Make it an offence to possess a detachable magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds, with a maximum penalty of a $10,000 fine or two years in jail.

Make it an offence to be in possession of a silencer, mechanism or fitting found together with a firearm, with a maximum penalty of a $75,000 fine or 15 years in jail.

Make it an offence to reactive, or attempt to reactivate, a deactivated firearm, or to make alterations to a firearm which changes its legal classification.

The new legislation will also increase police powers to stop, search and detain offenders in connection with firearms and Firearms Prohibition Orders.

The introduction of the legislation adds to the range of tactics and laws used by the SA Police to take illicit guns off the streets.

During a firearms amnesty last year, more than 3,100 illegal and unwanted weapons were handed in, and were then destroyed by police.

A firearm rewards scheme targeting people with illegal firearms resulted in 138 premises being searched, 147 firearms seized, 22 people arrested and 19 reported for firearms-related offences.

Earlier this year SA Police also participated in Operation Unification – Illicit Firearms, a two-week national crackdown on illicit firearms.

Anyone with information about illegal firearms in the community is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or online at www.sa.crimestoppers.com.au . You can remain anonymous.

I'd need more clarification of a 'silencer, mechanism or fitting' found with a firearm. Plus I thought it was legal to own 30 rd magazines in SA? Is anyone opposing these points?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Burp" post=14691
      Plus I thought it was legal to own 30 rd magazines in SA?
      There is currently nothing in the regs about magazine capacity for Cat A and B firearms, so yes, 30 round magazines are legal.

I feel like a criminal more and more each day....
    I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Super6one" post=14981
      Before long it will be a legal requirement to look left and right before crossing the road,,,,,,
      but an offence to look sideways!

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Super6one" post=14981
      I think you'll find that's the general idea! slowly but surely they are making everything we do that was once legal now illegal.

Originally posted by AF2AF3" post=14686
    “Police are dedicated in their resolve to take illegal guns - and the people who make, sell or use them - off our streets, and we believe these laws will help us do that.”
    It is interesting that the officer states "make" in that quote. I feel this supports LAFO - we are doing such a good job of safe storage that the criminal underclass have to manufacture their illegal firearms. There have been several seizures of open bolt SMG type weapons in SA over the last little while from memory.

SA seizure:
    http://www.news.com.au/national-news/south-australia/man-charged-with-making-machine-guns/story-fndo4dzn-1226528981674

This video of one seized in WA being fired is from Seven news:
    http://improguns.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/pa-luty-homemade-submachine-gun-designs.html

Comment

Damn, all you other states are taking a hard hit

all this is a crock of sh!t

Comment

So $10,000 fine or upto 2 years in prison for owning a 15 Round .223 Tikka Mag hey... tops :S

Comment

WTF does this means?
          'Make it an offence to be in possession of a silencer, mechanism or fitting found together with a firearm, with a maximum penalty of a $75,000 fine or 15 years in jail'
          Is the thread cover supplied from the factory on the threaded barrel, a 'fitting' as described above.
          Looks like 15 years of playing 'mumy and daddy' for me, if I get caught.
          The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Comment

• Super6one
            Super6one commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by retired" post=15622
            WTF does this means?
            'Make it an offence to be in possession of a silencer, mechanism or fitting found together with a firearm, with a maximum penalty of a $75,000 fine or 15 years in jail'
            Is the thread cover supplied from the factory on the threaded barrel, a 'fitting' as described above.
            Looks like 15 years of playing 'mumy and daddy' for me, if I get caught.

Yeah, and some muzzle breaks are made to use a quick fit suppressor, I THINK a surefire break is one of them, as well as the muzzle break on a barrett 98b....

I've emailed ssaa SA asking what they're doing, if anything that is

I've also asked who to talk to on a state level.

I'll post the details here if the respond

Comment

• BlueBikesBlackGuns
            BlueBikesBlackGuns commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok this needs SERIOUS attention!

They are putting through laws against illegal firearms (widely supported) yet are slipping in one for us LAFO's. Restriction to 10 round DBM's.

We need to get that item dropped from the legislation ASAP.

Quan, you're presuming these laws have anything to do with 'safety' or 'the public interest' or 'stopping illegal cirme'. None of which are true.

Look at NSW's Ammo Bill - yeah I don't think there's been one crim shooting in Western Sydney since it was introduced in March lol

Its got nothing to do with safety. Nothing about stopping crime. Everything to do with political perception

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            The original article: (and i quote)
            “We believe these amendments to the Firearms Act will improve public safety,” said Assistant Commissioner Linda Williams.

They say its about safety, which we know is bogus, but you are 100% correct about public perception. We need to do the complete OPPOSITE and maintain magazine capacity and make it more across the board for all guns, ie: normal capacity handguns rather than limited capacity. If a manufacture has to make a specific 10 round magazine just for Australia, then its limited. Why not allow 15 round handgun magazines, the police use them. Why not allow them for competition and range use only ?

Send a letter to the premier
          GPO box 2343
          Adelaide SA 5001

Can a few more people chuck an email to the ssaasa they still haven't replied to me lol

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            SSAA SA branch are well aware and have notified other branches and all clubs in SA, along with other states. They do indeed know about it but are working out the exact response i bet. Probably want to present a valid arguement and reasons rather than "thats shit, we are shooters and we will refuse it" within 48hrs response.
            Give it until Monday for some official response i guess.

A bit of logic needed here though.
          If it was n`t for supply and demand then Bikies would simply be motor cycle enthusiasts and some other criminal activity would take the spot.
          If people did not promote the demand the crime would`t exist nor would criminals.
          Shift the parameters and LAFO would be all nice and cosy and no problems with public perceptions and association of guns with crime.
          Society causes the problems not the people, the criminal element in people are just opportunists, money or greed drives everything including "the need for speed".
          Remove the need and it will shift to some other thing.
          [center]
          Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I whole heartedly disagree.
            If bikie's vanished over night does that mean crime will vanish over night ? Of course not. Do bikie CREATE demand ? Yes, yes they do. Without bikies and illegal unregistered firearm supply (so according to police), would you be an oppertunistic person and jump into that position ? No ? Certain people are wired certain ways. If you are naturally a law breaker and criminal, you tend to associate with bikies and the like. I shoot guns and ride bikes. does that make me a criminal, or "quasi-criminal" ? Of course not.

By saying that others will just fill the shoes in an opportunistic method is a bit shit.
            I do whole heartedly agree that Australian society causes the crime in the first place. They just tend to congregate together.

The Sporting Shooters Assoc. of Aus. Web site has called all S.A. Shooters to make themselves aware that a New Bill was tabled suddenly on the night of 6/11/13 and that there is a need for them to get active and contact their Local Members, this article best sums up what is going on....Link..http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I recieved a letter back from my local MP, and it reads: (para phrased)
            "got your email about the proposed changes, i forwarded the enquiry to Hon Michael O'Brien MP"

I emailed Michael and Leon Bignell (minister for sport and rec) at the same time. Least one got back to me. I know that Leon is "partly" on the shooters side as its in his job description to support it. Not sure of an official word yet, but his PA who i spoke to (I rang and emailed all 3), said its not a good thing for the shooting sport. Leon Bignell is also the minister for Tourism, which could be used as a point too. Look at how often we aussie go to NZ to compete with semi-auto firearms cos they cant come in here. Ian Hunter is the minister for environment / sustainability. Might get onto him too.

Everyone keep contacting locals and ministers. Dont give up, this is all PR bullshit and it only serves to harm legit LAFOs and turn LAFOs into criminals.

After reading through what was said, I can see what they are going after with the firearm accessories.
          The off hand comment from the spokesman for police gave it away.

They want to ban pistol grips and quad rails, anything that makes a rifle look military.

Mr VAN HOLST PELLEKAAN: Thank you very much, minister; that is terrific. Can you please share with the house the type of prohibited firearm accessories that will be included in the regulations?
          The Hon. M.F. O'BRIEN: Member for Stuart, what we are dealing with is two matters. One is appearance where, by way of example, a weapon is altered by bolt-ons to make it look like a submachine gun. We believe that we do not want people running around confronting police officers, in
          particular, with what appears to be a submachine gun but is in fact a single action weapon. The other one is operation where the accessory can convert a single shot weapon into an automatic weapon.
          Mr VAN HOLST PELLEKAAN: Accessories fitting those two broad descriptions will be the only ones in the regulations.
          The Hon. M.F. O'BRIEN: Yes.
          Clause passed.
          Clauses 5 to 10 passed.

This is going to affect just as many people as the magazine capacity restrictions but went through parliament without batting an eyelid.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            There is already provision for "substantially replicate", so they want to tighten that up. So basically any 7615 with a few egonomic bolt on pieces is going to be banned ? They expect to do this how ?

Again, its limiting LAFOs, NOT criminals. I said a few weeks back to some people that this new changes to the act is about firearms, not criminals nor LAFOs. Its purely pointed at firearms only as it doesnt introduce any new penalties for criminals, just change the wording a bit and increase the max penalty, which has NEVER been given in south australia. So whats the fuking point ?

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Outside the box" post=34583
            They want to ban pistol grips and quad rails, anything that makes a rifle look military.

Mr VAN HOLST PELLEKAAN: Thank you very much, minister; that is terrific. Can you please share with the house the type of prohibited firearm accessories that will be included in the regulations?
            The Hon. M.F. O'BRIEN: Member for Stuart, what we are dealing with is two matters. One is appearance where, by way of example, a weapon is altered by bolt-ons to make it look like a submachine gun. We believe that we do not want people running around confronting police officers, in particular, with what appears to be a submachine gun but is in fact a single action weapon.

So that statement makes no sense. The police are going to be less likely to fire back at someone pointing a 'single shot weapon' against them, compared if it was 'automatic'

i have no issues submitting my finger prints and DNA. i have nothing to hide and never will.

in fact i have no problems with them taking DNA of everyone for a national DB. will make solving crimes a crap load quicker and easier. i dont understand the paranoia that people have about it.

if it means i can get me a semi auto shotgun, then brilliant.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            In principle, this is a fantastic idea. Its a huge deterant for crime too. BUT do you honestly think that "big business" wont try their best to get their hands on that information and do research on it ?

Its not about physical testing, its more about demographics. Most people in australia are british decent, aged between X and Y, Z height, most are right handed, people in this state or territory are black haired brown eyed, etc..
            As an individual you are not important enough to worry about, but as a collective, they can ammas huge information and possibly use it to discriminate against you.

Go watch the movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/ Gattaca.

Its the police onus to prove we are criminals, its NOT our responsibilty to prove we are innocent, unless we have been charged with a crime. No charge, no requirement to prove innocence. Thats my grip with it. I dont want to give finger prints or DNA to prove it. I have nothing to hide and dont fear it, but its just a BS control measure.

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by zorba" post=34610
            i have no issues submitting my finger prints and DNA. i have nothing to hide and never will.

in fact i have no problems with them taking DNA of everyone for a national DB. will make solving crimes a crap load quicker and easier. i dont understand the paranoia that people have about it.

if it means i can get me a semi auto shotgun, then brilliant.
            "Never"
            Saying that, rather discredits anything you have to say Zorba.

You have no more idea of what the future holds than anyone else, perhaps the future holds a change in rules, limits on population growth, epidemics, genetic profiling. You have no idea what you may need to hide. If that seems rather far fetched, how many women hide pregnancies, glasses wearers that opt for contacts so people don't know, denture wearers who want that private. How many psychotics are "managed" by drugs with neither state nor public being aware?

The SA police and parliament need to take a look at some of the weapons sitting in the SAS museum over in the UK. Perhaps then they will understand which weapons to fear.
          There are basically 2 types of firearms, those that are effective i.e. a high % of rounds fired hit the targets, and those that induce shock and awe i.e. they scare the sh1t out of you, but aren't necessarily effective. (That's not to say a bullet from either won't kill, but it's got to hit the target to do that.

Semi automatic firearms sit in the middle somewhere, they can be effective OR they can be fast cycled, very few people can achieve both and if you can do both, you can do it with any firearm.

If it's criminals they want to target, then the police need to understand that 'manufactured' firearms are easily replaced with 'improvised' firearms. The issue is that a manufactured firearm LOOKS like a firearm, an improvised one doesn't. Improvised firearms are always effective! Limited in range and cycle time, but always effective! Better the devil you know perhaps.

Comment

Working...
          X