Lone shooter on SSAA ranges in QLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lone shooter on SSAA ranges in QLD

Probably best to keep it QLD specific but interested in other States.

Does anyone know of any SSAA ranges allow lone shooters?
    I'm assuming a nil response to that, so-

Can anyone clarify why ranges will not allow lone shooters?

I cannot find anything in the Weapons Act or Regulation to support this restriction, in fact S97(6) of the Act seems to support the option of a lone shooter. A Range Officer (which is any licenced adult) can enter their details in the Range Register and does not need someone else to check their Licence or endorse the entry before discharging a firearm..

I have heard it's an insurance restriction but I am a member of SSAA so I have insurance for ALL shooting activity.
    I have heard it's safety related, but as a shooter I can go to anyone's property (with permission), alone and shoot in conditions that are far more risky than a range.

The only place I have been able to find the restriction is actually in Range Standing Orders, does anyone know why it's there?

97 Club must keep range use register books
    (1) It is a condition of an approved shooting club’s shooting club
    permit that the club must keep a range use register and ensure
    the register is available at all times when the range is being
    conducted by the shooting club.
    (2) Before a person uses a range conducted by an approved
    shooting club to discharge a weapon, the person must—
    (a) if the person is a licensee, produce the person’s licence
    to a range officer at the range; and
    (b) enter in the range use register the details provided for
    under subsection (3).
    Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
    Note—
    If the person proposing to use the range is not a licensee, the person
    must produce the identification and complete the approved form
    required under section 53.
    (3) The register must include provision for the following
    details—
    (a) the person’s identity;
    (b) the category of weapon the person will use on the range;
    (c) other details prescribed under a regulation.
    (4) It is a condition of an approved shooting club’s shooting club
    permit that the club ensure that a range officer of the club
    must inspect the entry made by the person in the register and
    endorse the entry as correct before allowing the person to use
    the range.
    (5) An endorsement under this section must clearly identify the
    person making the endorsement.
    (6) Subsections (2)(a) and (4) do not apply in relation to a range
    officer of the approved range using the range to discharge a
    weapon.

In NSW it is a condition of the range license that the shooter is supervised.
    The licensee (the club official whos name is on the range license) can decide what qualifications are required for the supervisor.
    In my club anybody who has a full pistol license can supervise.

You cannot shoot and supervise at the same time but if you have 2 fully licensed shooters then one shoots and the other supervises and then you swap over.

I believe this condition is on all pistol range licenses in NSW.

Comment

No idea why, quite surprised to actually learn of this given that I show up at my local non-SSAA range at all sorts of strange daylight hours specifically so I can shoot by myself.

I'll be chalking it up to another weird ass SSAA policy like no more then one round in a mag.
      Always in need of just one more gun.

Comment

• adamjp
        adamjp commented
        Editing a comment
        At the Majura range in the ACT you pay $60 for an annual range pass, and another $10 for a copy of the key and you can shoot there anytime you want provided no-one has the range booked.

Can't have people on the range who don't have the pass and key however.

• Omega_Rifles
        Omega_Rifles commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Varagner" post=12554
        No idea why, quite surprised to actually learn of this given that I show up at my local non-SSAA range at all sorts of strange daylight hours specifically so I can shoot by myself.

I'll be chalking it up to another weird ass SSAA policy like no more then one round in a mag.
        Not every SSAA has a 1 round in mag policy , Mine does not .

Full capacity mags for everyone

I have never shot at a range which does not require mandatory supervision of some kind, even if just another licensed shooter to act as RO.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks guys,

A bit of a mixed response, I don't think there is anything in the Range Approval that would require a second RO but I'll have to take a look at that.

zhuk,
        Your description is how things appear to be in QLD. Any licenced adult can be an RO so they can supervise any other ( licenced or un-licenced) shooter, but can only shoot them-self if the other shooter is also a licenced adult (ie and RO). That comes from Range Standing Orders but I can't find it supported anywhere, for any reason, either directly, or indirectly through some other requirement.

It seems it's just always been like that, but no-one knows why. Is there anything in the annals of QLD history that might explain it?

I tend to blame bench rest shooters for a lot of stupid range rules.... Maybe it's cause they want someone to whinge to, brag to or tell them how good they are???
      I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

• Maverick
        Maverick commented
        Editing a comment
        ************************************************** ************************************************** ***********

My thoughts exactly, it's all about power and control and nothing else.

Quite sad though.

If only we had some younger shooters who would move the old guard aside and run things properly.

Strange, what old age can do to the mind.

Thanks....

************************************************** ************************************************** ******************

Originally posted by Super6one" post=13302
        I tend to blame bench rest shooters for a lot of stupid range rules.... Maybe it's cause they want someone to whinge to, brag to or tell them how good they are???

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************************

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Super6one" post=13302
        I'm a bench rest shooter Or rather, I shoot bench rest, which isn't quite the same. But I know what you mean. Many BR shooters need things "just so" and will strive to make it "just so". Unfortunately "just so" conflicts with other disciplines.
        A bit of compromise goes a long way.
    Working...
    X