Whats the latest on Range closures??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the latest on Range closures??

Recently visited the NSW Amateur Pistol Association website & they mention "closure of several ranges & a couple more within the past 2 weeks"
    Has anybody any idea of the names of all these ranges that have now been closed?
    I am aware of closure of ranges at Emmaville & Delungra & also I believe Wagga ?? but which other Ranges have also recently been shut down & more importantly WHY??

Sorry mods realised I should have put this in "Ask a Question Catagory"--please feel free to move.
    Faster Horses
    Younger Women
    Older Whiskey
    More Money

SSAA N52

i dont know what but i can guess why, if there are no more pistol ranges there goes your genuine reason and bang the the fuddy duddies get what they want

Comment

This is the NSW FAR range guide pdf, if anyone is interested. April 2013

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/...Guide_2013.pdf

Two pertinent excerpts:

Copies of any lease agreements or documentary proof of ownership of the
      land the Range will occupy. Bear in mind the Range Inspectors will apply a
      Range Danger Area Template to the map provided and will insist upon the
      Range User having control or permissive shooting rights over the land
      shadowed by that template. The withdrawal of permissive shooting rights
      by a landowner at a later date will see the Authority to operate the Range
      revoked. Organisations should strive towards buying or leasing the entire area
      the Range Danger Area Template shadows
      And here lies the problem. If the 'Range Danger Area Template' happens to be a State forest or National Park or otherwise unspecified Crown or private land then how the hell is the Range User (ie shooting organisation/club etc) going to "have control", "buy" or "lease" said land?

Anyone thinking that this is only applying to new ranges better think again. The very first lines read:

This Guide has been produced to provide those Clubs and Organisations that are
      contemplating or are currently operating live firing ranges a reference manual as to the
      conduct and regulation requirements pertaining to the operation and construction of a live
      firing range.

Tl;Dr:

They have us all over the proverbial barrel.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by zhuk" post=11041
        This is the NSW FAR range guide pdf, if anyone is interested. April 2013

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/...Guide_2013.pdf

Two pertinent excerpts:

Copies of any lease agreements or documentary proof of ownership of the
        land the Range will occupy. Bear in mind the Range Inspectors will apply a
        Range Danger Area Template to the map provided and will insist upon the
        Range User having control or permissive shooting rights over the land
        shadowed by that template. The withdrawal of permissive shooting rights
        by a landowner at a later date will see the Authority to operate the Range
        revoked. Organisations should strive towards buying or leasing the entire area
        the Range Danger Area Template shadows
        And here lies the problem. If the 'Range Danger Area Template' happens to be a State forest or National Park or otherwise unspecified Crown or private land then how the hell is the Range User (ie shooting organisation/club etc) going to "have control", "buy" or "lease" said land?

Anyone thinking that this is only applying to new ranges better think again. The very first lines read:

This Guide has been produced to provide those Clubs and Organisations that are
        contemplating or are currently operating live firing ranges a reference manual as to the
        conduct and regulation requirements pertaining to the operation and construction of a live
        firing range.

Tl;Dr:

They have us all over the proverbial barrel.

And possibly sooner than we expected.....watch this space people

As a member of Blacktown Pistol Club in Sydney I just found out the club will be losing IPSC and Single Action at the end of this month. Not happy.

Comment

• taliskahn
        taliskahn commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by TheOtherLeft" post=14499
        As a member of Blacktown Pistol Club in Sydney I just found out the club will be losing IPSC and Single Action at the end of this month. Not happy.
        That sucks! Any details as to why? FAR related?

I went and watched an IPSC match there a few months back when I was about 4 months into my PPL. The guys there were great to talk to about IPSC and getting into it etc.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by TheOtherLeft" post=14499

And not Steel anymore either.

The State titles on Oct 26-27 will most likely be the last competition held at Blacktown.

NSW Gov is putting on the squeeze. That looks like a certainty. Best to make a bit of noise and get some letters into the people who are overlooking it. I know I have, and I'm in Vic.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by ThreeOohEight" post=14601
        NSW Gov is putting on the squeeze. That looks like a certainty. Best to make a bit of noise and get some letters into the people who are overlooking it. I know I have, and I'm in Vic.

I've been writing letters since August 2012 and failed to raise a single response from any politician.

Not surprising.

This is NOT the work of politicians - this is engineered solely from NSWPOL and the Registry bureaucrats concerned. Unelected, cannot be removed. IMO it is ideological.

Glad I live in Mexico south of the border, at least we can hunt in state forests.
      I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

I thought this would be the best place to give an update on Wagga Range. This was posted on the SSAA NSW Wagga Branch website.

Due to the safety issues identified in relation to the Range Danger Area, which extends into a National Park, the SSAA NSW Wagga Branch Range has been temporarily closed. In an effort to gain re-approval, and to hasten the re-opening of this facility, the decision has been made to change it's classification to that of a Limited Danger / No Danger Area Range. The Range will become what is commonly known as a 'baffled' range and will no longer have the requirement for a large safety template,

Survey work is underway and the design stage is in progress.

SSAA NSW Wagga Branch is working in the best interests of its members and the sport, and with the positive support and patience of it's members it is expected that the Range will be back in operation again in the not too distant future

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Tim SSAA NSW" post=14629
          I thought this would be the best place to give an update on Wagga Range. This was posted on the SSAA NSW Wagga Branch website.

Due to the safety issues identified in relation to the Range Danger Area, which extends into a National Park, the SSAA NSW Wagga Branch Range has been temporarily closed. In an effort to gain re-approval, and to hasten the re-opening of this facility, the decision has been made to change it's classification to that of a Limited Danger / No Danger Area Range. The Range will become what is commonly known as a 'baffled' range and will no longer have the requirement for a large safety template,

Survey work is underway and the design stage is in progress.

SSAA NSW Wagga Branch is working in the best interests of its members and the sport, and with the positive support and patience of it's members it is expected that the Range will be back in operation again in the not too distant future

Yes, the only way Blacktown will be able to stay open is to baffle the enclosed 25s & one 50m range. No open air ranges will be available. It should be remembered that 'baffled' means 'no blue sky visible from any firing point'.

Good to hear the news about Wagga Wagga.

For an open range can it be extensively baffled or turned into a semi-enclosed range, i.e. roof and walls installed? i suppose the costs would be high though.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          i would say prohibitive in the case of Blacktown; those open air top ranges once used for IPSC will not be re-opened to the best of my knowledge.

Especially since a huge amount of members money went into the [pointless] security-guard excercise for over a year

If the ranges are baffled is there any reason why IPSC, Single Action and SC can't return?

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by TheOtherLeft" post=14676
          If the ranges are baffled is there any reason why IPSC, Single Action and SC can't return?

Well I've been told technically no, heh. But yes in the instance that a "no blue sky" baffle system could be erected, which entails overlapping baffles only allowing sky to be glimpsed while facing uprange. European ranges which are not indoor situated use this as a solution to be able to construct ranges in heavy populated areas. Then they possibly have Govt grants to assist them to do so.

Way too prohibitively expensive to contemplate in this case though.

Hey steve. I honestly dunno what the budget is likely to be, the decision has only just come down. So I guess that's something for the Committee to get their heads together on.

But I'm guessing a million would be fantasy-land territory :/

Comment

OK folks if I could just pour some oil on the water here.

For those of you that don't know me, my name is Jim Staader and I am the Secretary of Blacktown Pistol Club.

If everyone would like to SETTLE for a minute, I can assure you all that there are moves afoot that will effect the outcome for members of the Club and IPSC.

Things are NOT as dire as they appear to be at the moment.

The Club is NOT closed and will not be closing in the near future. Yes, there are some restrictions on us at the moment, however there are plans already in place to baffle ranges and LIMITED forms of IPSC will still be able to be shot at the range, now and into the future.

WATCH THIS SPACE (and get your information directly from the horses mouth)

Cheers
          Jimbo

Comment

• TheOtherLeft
            TheOtherLeft commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by stats770" post=14838
            OK folks if I could just pour some oil on the water here.

For those of you that don't know me, my name is Jim Staader and I am the Secretary of Blacktown Pistol Club.

If everyone would like to SETTLE for a minute, I can assure you all that there are moves afoot that will effect the outcome for members of the Club and IPSC.

Things are NOT as dire as they appear to be at the moment.

The Club is NOT closed and will not be closing in the near future. Yes, there are some restrictions on us at the moment, however there are plans already in place to baffle ranges and LIMITED forms of IPSC will still be able to be shot at the range, now and into the future.

WATCH THIS SPACE (and get your information directly from the horses mouth)

Cheers
            Jimbo
            What about Single Action, Steel Challenge???

Our pistol range has recently be reopened after closer of several months. It was closed as most have due to the fallout zone . Through hard work by members and working closely with FAR we now have a no danger baffled range. The baffling system worked out by club members was relatively inexpensive and easily fabricated to suit our range. If anyone would like some details feel free to PM me .

Comment

Good to hear Dozer, well done on the positive outcome.

Comment

I must have missed all the reports of the people being shot at or near ranges in between all the shootings by bikies/armed robbers/drug dealers/police (does shooting yourself accidentally count?).

Comment

Heard a rumour today that the new F A R Range Inspector responsible for a number of range closures has been sacked or heavily disciplined,!!!
                as I say only an unsubstantiated rumour but has anybody else heard simliar story???
                Will try to obtain further info from my source.
                Faster Horses
                Younger Women
                Older Whiskey
                More Money

SSAA N52

Comment

Working...
                X