Pistol storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pistol storage

I was wondering if any members can shed some light on pistol storage requirements in Vic, I've read over and over the licensing regulations as to storage and it states it has to be in a 'steel safe not easily penetrable which is fixed to the floor or wall' does that mean it's OK to keep it in my rifle safe? because that is steel and fixed to the floor, some members told me it has to be kept in a dedicated 6mm thick pistol safe but nowhere is thickness mentioned in the storage pdf.
    ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, WHO'S BRINGING THE CHIPS?

you are right as far as I know there is no thickness specified in the Victorian act, bearing in in mind it needs to pass a club inspection, it needs to be a fair dinkum rifle safe, adequately fastened to the structure (if it weights less than 150kgs?) so not an old school locker with a padlock that may suffice for long arms

Comment

• druid01
      druid01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by BJ343" post=7083
      you are right as far as I know there is no thickness specified in the Victorian act, bearing in in mind it needs to pass a club inspection, it needs to be a fair dinkum rifle safe, adequately fastened to the structure (if it weights less than 150kgs?) so not an old school locker with a padlock that may suffice for long arms
      Sounds identical to SA's requirements, we keep pistols in rifle safes as a matter of course.
      Although the club inspection things sounds like a individual club requirement or a specific VIC regulation as ive never had a club in SA inspect my personal storage..

You might need to check with your club. Some VIC clubs have very strict internal rules regarding safe standards. These clubs don't care about the legislation, you have to meet or exceed their sometimes very strict requirements. If that doesn't sit we'll with you, you are welcome to try to join another club.

Comment

See here for Vic Storage Requirements:

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retrievemedia.asp?media_id=81634

You are correct we do not have the whole 6mm thing here. Other states such as NSW do. I have a Spika Safe that does A, B, C, D and H in all of Australia. If I was in NSW, I would have to make sure the handguns were in the tiny top section next to the tiny ammo section which is all 6mm thick. But because I am in VIC, I can hang the handguns on the inside of the safe door. It is over 150kg which means it does not need to be bolted down, but I bloody well did bolt it anyway!

Your club will need to inspect the safe, generally they will be a little more stringent to make sure you never have a drama with the Police.

Originally posted by Andrew T" post=7067
      I was wondering if any members can shed some light on pistol storage requirements in Vic, I've read over and over the licensing regulations as to storage and it states it has to be in a 'steel safe not easily penetrable which is fixed to the floor or wall' does that mean it's OK to keep it in my rifle safe? because that is steel and fixed to the floor, some members told me it has to be kept in a dedicated 6mm thick pistol safe but nowhere is thickness mentioned in the storage pdf.

Comment

Working...
      X