Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (SA) Private property Shooting question

Hey guys,

I've got a 47 acre property in a country town SA and have some people coming up for the Christmas break.

they want to shoot my rifles to experience what we love. but just wondering what the story with letting someone shoot a gun who isn't licensed on my private property? obviously i will be watching over them

Thanks
    Mike

Fairly sure under supervision is fine. I do it all the time and who would ever know anyway, as you see the copper coming up the driveway you would be unloading it and taking it off of them anyway.

Just use some common sense, have a good backstop and make sure if the new person is a shit aim the projectiles aren't going to be bouncing off your neighbours house and that you could demonstrate to any reasonable person that the conditions are safe.

Comment

I rang SAPOL awhile back before my son got his license and it is ok to let some one shoot your guns so long as you are with them and supervising them, you must have your license on you and just follow all the proper safety rules E.G no booze ect

Originally posted by Unknownaussie" post=46895
      Hey guys,

I've got a 47 acre property in a country town SA and have some people coming up for the Christmas break.

they want to shoot my rifles to experience what we love. but just wondering what the story with letting someone shoot a gun who isn't licensed on my private property? obviously i will be watching over them

Thanks
      Mike
      Calling me sir is like putting an elevator in an outhouse. It don't belong

Comment

hi mike,
        when in doubt, refer to the rules/laws.
        I'm sure you'll be ok but it never hurts to double check.
        we mean great intensions but we'd hate to get you in the poo, as each state can vary on this subject.
        by the way, if the copper does come out,.......let him have a go with it.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks guys, might ring the local cop shop and see what they say since they will be knocking on my door if anyone complains. but the law has so many grey areas its easy to get in to trouble.

I know here in Victoria, if you're unlicensed, the only place you're legally allowed to shoot a firearm is at a registered shooting range under constant supervision by a licence holder - a quick read of the SA legislation (SA Firearms Act 1977 - S11) reveals something similar.

Source: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/s...77102/s11.html

Comment

• Capn Dazza
          Capn Dazza commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Adam" post=47059
          I know here in Victoria, if you're unlicensed, the only place you're legally allowed to shoot a firearm is at a registered shooting range under constant supervision by a licence holder - a quick read of the SA legislation (SA Firearms Act 1977 - S11) reveals something similar.

Source: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/s...77102/s11.html
          (6) For the purposes of this section—

(a) a person who handles a firearm—

(i) in the presence, and with the consent, of a person who is the owner of the firearm and who is authorised by or under this Act to have possession of it; or

(ii) in the premises of a licensed dealer in firearms for the purpose of inspecting the firearm,

does not have possession of the firearm;

No. A person who is not licensed can use a gun if the LFAO is present and consents is how I understand it.
      Working...
      X