hardwood gun safe????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardwood gun safe????

I note the a/b licensing laws allow for a hardwood gun safe. Does anyone use one and has it ever been inspected? I've got some nicely aged tallowood that I could use to custom make a safe. At first I thought it was a little crazy to make one outa wood but It would probably be harder to get into than those cheap arse 3mm ones on eBay.
    whaddya reckon anyone got some pics if one?

Originally posted by heckler" post=37057
    I note the a/b licensing laws allow for a hardwood gun safe. Does anyone use one and has it ever been inspected? I've got some nicely aged tallowood that I could use to custom make a safe. At first I thought it was a little crazy to make one outa wood but It would probably be harder to get into than those cheap arse 3mm ones on eBay.
    Wouldn't be fire proof if there was a house fire, that is if you keep your safe in a wardrobe or if its left on the concrete floor of the shed it would be fine.
    Polish Mosin Nagant M44 7.62x54r Radom 1952 manufacture
    Brno model 2 1974 manufacture

One word 'Timshel'.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I imagine a Stanley Jet Cut handsaw would make short work of it.

You'd come home and find somebody has cut the top off your safe!

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Throwingbrick" post=37060
      Originally posted by heckler" post=37057
      Wouldn't be fire proof if there was a house fire, that is if you keep your safe in a wardrobe or if its left on the concrete floor of the shed it would be fine.
      I don't see the relevance of that, but there you go.

Depending on your state, hardwood or solid timber, or whatever the wording is, means you can store your guns in a wooden safe. I would tend to agree that a wooden safe would actually be harder to get into than a steel one, especially if you screw a few steel bars on the inside to bugger up a chain saw.

Just make sure, that if you intend to put ammo in it that you comply with the storage requirements; which generally require a secure "metal" container. So, a safe within your safe or a lockable metal draw/cupboard.

I know people who use School Lockers for Firearms storage purposes and its legal in NSW - nothing will stop a determined crim if he wants to get into a safe he more than likely will if he has the right equipment.
    Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment

Could line it by screwing sheet metal on the inside, or even second hand colourbond. It wouldn't have to be perfect, but would add some time to getting into it.

Or weld a steel cage and bolt timber around it.

Comment

Mine is made from ply and has passed multiple inspections.
      Cheers Mat.

Comment

• fishphillott
        fishphillott commented
        Editing a comment
        Can I make a suggestion here boys and girls
        I think it is a bad idea suggesting or recommending that others go above and beyond the minimum requirements for storage on an open forum or before you know it when the next review comes around the antis will be using your suggestions to increase the min requirements claiming that shooters agree with increases
        before you know it we will all have to replace our safes to meet the new min requirements
        by all means store your firearms how ever you see fit
        carry on folks

OK! Wood Safe acceptable for A/B but hard to find info on the type of LOCK(s) needed. Any ideas other than a Hasp/Dirty great big padlock..
      [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
      [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
      [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
      [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
      [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Shooting Sports" post=37136
        OK! Wood Safe acceptable for A/B but hard to find info on the type of LOCK(s) needed. Any ideas other than a Hasp/Dirty great big padlock..
        QLD Weapons regs
        Section 60

Probably better if you read this, then ask

(4) The container must also—
        (a) have a sturdy combination lock, keyed lock or keyed
        padlock; and
        (b) always be locked (other than for the time necessary to
        insert or remove a weapon, or something else, for a
        proper purpose).

my 2 cents.....if your inclined to make a better looking wooden safe, I would buy a cheap ass 3mm metal one the clad it in some nice hard wood. Best of both worlds??

Comment

G'day,

Came across this forum whilst searching for more details on timber safe requirements in QLD. I've almost completed mine - it's made of rosewood planks (50mm thick) for the two sides and back, and 10mm steel plate for the top, bottom and door. Will hold 3-4 rifles, internal hinges, two dead bolts on door (with decent padlocks), and a small safe for ammo. Time will tell upon my first "random" inspection, however I'm in agreeance with some of the other replies - if thieves want your safe/guns/ammo, they will get it regardless of construction material.

I just like the thought of something different to an Ebay jobby, that looks the part, and weighs in around 125kg!

Comment

• Windrider
          Windrider commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Brendo3" post=204909
          G'day,

I just like the thought of something different to an Ebay jobby ...
          I knew a bloke who lived in a high-set Queenslander and built a hardwood gun safe from the concrete slab in the downstairs garage to the floor of the house. Heaps of room to store other stuff as well, and best of all it was probably the last place a burglar would go looking for guns.

Heaps of possibilities if you use your imagination.

Brendo, I just noticed that this was your first post, so welcome to the forum.

You might like to pop over to the 'New Users' section some time and introduce yourself. Lots of good folks on here with endless knowledge they are willing to share.
        No trees were harmed in the production of this post, but some electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Windrider - will do

So, thought I'd throw a quick pic up of my 'reasonably' completed safe. One ofthose 'prototype' jobs, that whilst completing, you think of 55 better ways of doing it next time. We shall see what comes of the first inspection....

(Sidenote: Had a stash of some other recycled hardwood, and kept the rosewood for another day/project)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1785.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	213022

Comment

Id give it 30 seconds....

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Im afraid the brain says no to hardwood safes. Cladding a steel safe is a good idea.

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Cheers Tinker!

I'm happy with the additional 5 seconds over an Ebay tin can!
        Working...
        X