What kind of permission is needed to go shooting on a property, only Verbal or Written permission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of permission is needed to go shooting on a property, only Verbal or Written permission?

Once you have your genuine reason as Recreational hunting/ vermin control do you need written permission and send it to the NSW FAR everytime you want to go onto a different property or if the landowner just gives you verbal permission are you allowed to go back same day and once you've been told no go areas etc and just go out hunting ferals.
    Polish Mosin Nagant M44 7.62x54r Radom 1952 manufacture
    Brno model 2 1974 manufacture

One word 'Timshel'.

Originally posted by Throwingbrick" post=36612
    Once you have your genuine reason as Recreational hunting/ vermin control do you need written permission and send it to the NSW FAR everytime you want to go onto a different property or if the landowner just gives you verbal permission are you allowed to go back same day and once you've been told no go areas etc and just go out hunting ferals.
    Not sure about NSW, I'm sure someone will be along soon, but in QLD you send one to WLB to get your licence but all others still need to be in writing - before you shoot.

Comment

• Throwingbrick
      Throwingbrick commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by tinytim" post=36613
      Originally posted by Throwingbrick" post=36612
      Not sure about NSW, I'm sure someone will be along soon, but in QLD you send one to WLB to get your licence but all others still need to be in writing - before you shoot.
      What happens with the writing? do you keep a copy for future visits or do you send it off days/weeks before you head out?

Verbal permission is all you need once licenced (if using only Hunting as your genuine reason to apply for your licence and you're not a member of an AHO then you need to provide a property letter with your initial licence application). It never hurts to carry a property letter when hunting or in transit with firearms to show the coppers as proof since it speeds things up (otherwise they may want to ring the cocky at odd hours to check with him).

Comment

• fishphillott
      fishphillott commented
      Editing a comment
      I personally don't provide written permission to any one, only verbal
      reason being just because I say "come on out mate shoot away" once doesn't mean that invite will be extended for a second visit

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by GSR" post=36617
      Verbal permission is all you need once licenced (if using only Hunting as your genuine reason to apply for your licence and you're not a member of an AHO then you need to provide a property letter with your initial licence application). It never hurts to carry a property letter when hunting or in transit with firearms to show the coppers as proof since it speeds things up (otherwise they may want to ring the cocky at odd hours to check with him).
      That's not what I was told by the NSW FAR. - they told me I had to have a letter for each property I hunt on! FMD I'd be carrying around a ream of permission letters if that's the case. :lol:

I'm starting to get put off going to Mudgee, NSW for the next Forum shoot if this is the grief I could get into coming from N/E Vic.

I'll sort it out.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=36653
      I'm starting to get put off going to Mudgee, NSW for the next Forum shoot if this is the grief I could get into coming from N/E Vic.

I'll sort it out.
      Mate, I drove out over the mountains in the middle of a raging bushfire to Mudgee for the last shoot with 8 longarms and about 1000 rounds of various ammunition in the back of the 4WD without any qualms. If the coppers had pulled me over for some reason and asked me about the large mound of fiearms & ammunition in the back I would have simply told them that I was on the way to a range shoot at Mudgee; had they required further evidence of this I would have brought up the facebook page for the shoot on my phone & shown them my name on the attendance list for the event, or I could have alternatively printed out a screenshot from forum before I left detailing the event and shown them this as proof.

Seriously, it's no big deal; NSW isn't communist China or anything :P

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=36653

I'll sort it out.

Why

You won't be hunting on a private property at Mudgee

No worries, I've looked at the legislation in NSW and it seems pretty straightforward. Shouldn't be a drama.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

This is interesting. If you are going hunting for ferals only in QLD do you need a second license? You actually have to contact WLB with some intention to hunt feral pigs on X land at some time in the future? I thought ferals were no bag limit. Or is there some sort of hunting license in QLD?
      "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Comment

• fishphillott
        fishphillott commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Laflamme" post=36784
        This is interesting. If you are going hunting for ferals only in QLD do you need a second license? You actually have to contact WLB with some intention to hunt feral pigs on X land at some time in the future? I thought ferals were no bag limit. Or is there some sort of hunting license in QLD?
        if your firearm licence is endorsed for hunting
        all you need to do is find some private property that you have permission for and blast away at anything that isn't native

Originally posted by 6602steven" post=36643
      Originally posted by Happy jack" post=36632
      I can understand your position but you make it very hard and risky for shooters because it's illegal to travel with a gun in NSW for hunting unless you have that letter of permission on you to show to any Police that may pull you over or question you while shooting . Without one you can be charged and loose your licence . It specifically says in the act , letter of permission or stat dec.
      The letter does not legally bind you in any way and can be rescinded by you verbally at any time .
      Everyone should contact the SFP and ask them to campaign to get rid of this rubbish .
      Not even in Russia do they have such stupidity .
      i don't agree with your post, do you have a link or can you quote the wording where it says this anywhere ?

if i am licensed for cat a, b there is nothing to stop me putting my rifle in the boot and taking it to a mates place to show him my new gun. at no time in my shooting life have i had a letter from a property owner

steve
      I can't show you where it is in the act but it was there some years back . That's why the pay properties would send you a letter in the mail so you could travel with your guns to them. The SSAA has printed up blank letters for owners to sign so it must be required. People are getting letters of permission to get a licence mixed up with letter of permission to travel to a private hunting ground.
      You don't need one for , R licence , range attendance , going to a gunsmith or dealer but for hunting on private property , my understanding is you do . I would love to be wrong and if anyone can prove it's wrong I would be very happy as I hate the whole sic Nazi process

Comment

This will help.
        NSW.
        FIREARMS REGULATION 2006 - REG 28
        Recreational hunting/vermin control-persons who are not members of approved hunting clubs
        28 Recreational hunting/vermin control-persons who are not members of approved hunting clubs

(cf 1997 cl 26)

(1) If an applicant for a licence (not being a member of an approved hunting club) proposes to establish recreational hunting/vermin control as a genuine reason for being issued with the licence and, in order to do so, is required to produce proof of the permission to shoot on rural land, the applicant must produce with the application:

(a) the permission in writing, or
        (b) a statutory declaration verifying that the permission has been given,
        as evidence that the permission has been given.

(2) During the term of a licence issued to an applicant referred to in this clause, the licensee may lawfully possess or use a firearm (as authorised by the licence) on land other than the land specified in respect of the application if:
        (a) the licensee has been given the written permission of the owner or occupier of that other land (or of an officer of the agency concerned) to shoot on that other land, or (b) the licensee has been given permission, as verified by statutory declaration, by that owner, occupier or agency to shoot on that other land.

(3) Any permission to shoot on rural land (including any statutory declaration verifying that any such permission has been given) must describe the land to which the permission relates and the type of game to be shot.

(4) If a licensee has been given permission to shoot on rural land, the licensee must, on demand made at any time by a police officer or an authorised officer for that land:
        (a) produce the permission for inspection by the police officer or authorised officer, or
        (b) if it is not in the licensee’s immediate possession-produce the permission, as soon as practicable (but not more than 48 hours) after the demand is made, to the officer who made the demand or to another police officer or authorised officer nominated by the officer who made the demand.

Maximum penalty (subclause (4)): 20 penalty units.

(5) A person commits an offence under subclause (4) only if the police officer or authorised officer, when making the demand, explains to the person that failure to comply with the demand is an offence.

(6) In this clause:

"authorised officer" , in relation to rural land on which permission has been given to shoot, means an officer of the relevant agency (as referred to in the genuine reason of recreational hunting/vermin control) that has the care, control or management of the land.

Comment

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by 6602steven" post=36821
            I believe written permission only relates to genuine reasons for licence applications
            No,

See section 4 in macca's post
            It has been in the NSW Regs for as long as I can remember.

Originally posted by Macca" post=36820
            This will help.
            NSW.
            FIREARMS REGULATION 2006 - REG 28
            Recreational hunting/vermin control-persons who are not members of approved hunting clubs
            28 Recreational hunting/vermin control-persons who are not members of approved hunting clubs

(cf 1997 cl 26)

(1) If an applicant for a licence (not being a member of an approved hunting club) proposes to establish recreational hunting/vermin control as a genuine reason for being issued with the licence and, in order to do so, is required to produce proof of the permission to shoot on rural land, the applicant must produce with the application:

(a) the permission in writing, or
            (b) a statutory declaration verifying that the permission has been given,
            as evidence that the permission has been given.

(2) During the term of a licence issued to an applicant referred to in this clause, the licensee may lawfully possess or use a firearm (as authorised by the licence) on land other than the land specified in respect of the application if:
            (a) the licensee has been given the written permission of the owner or occupier of that other land (or of an officer of the agency concerned) to shoot on that other land, or (b) the licensee has been given permission, as verified by statutory declaration, by that owner, occupier or agency to shoot on that other land.

(3) Any permission to shoot on rural land (including any statutory declaration verifying that any such permission has been given) must describe the land to which the permission relates and the type of game to be shot.

(4) If a licensee has been given permission to shoot on rural land, the licensee must, on demand made at any time by a police officer or an authorised officer for that land:
            (a) produce the permission for inspection by the police officer or authorised officer, or
            (b) if it is not in the licensee’s immediate possession-produce the permission, as soon as practicable (but not more than 48 hours) after the demand is made, to the officer who made the demand or to another police officer or authorised officer nominated by the officer who made the demand.

Maximum penalty (subclause (4)): 20 penalty units.
            I don't always bother with written permission because the property owner is often on the property any way.
            One place I do hunt were the owner is often not there, I do keep a written permission in the console of my car for.
            I could easily get it inside 48hrs if I was asked to but no doubt that would end my days hunt if some Turkey was to make an unsubstantiated complaint & call out the boys in Blue. This way I can flick them the permission & they can go to said Turkey & tear them a new asshole for causing the 2hr drive for nothing :lol:

You can fill out & print or save a blank copy from the FAR Here

Fill it out with your details & print off a few coppies.
            Mick.
        Working...
        X