Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting an Air rifle/pistol at home.

Hi,
    I do a fair bit of dry firing exercises with my air pistol and was wondering what the legalities would be about shooting an air pistol at home in a suitably enclosed area i.e a shed. Sadly I do not have a 10m shed to practically contemplate actually doing this for my own practice but was wondering what the laws about it would be?

This is just for air guns btw nothing that could actually penetrate a shed wall if you shot off to the side of a target with a bullet trap. I can't see any real safety reasons why you wouldn't be able to do this but the law and reality often diverge. So thoughts?
    Always in need of just one more gun.

Originally posted by Varagner" post=36255
    Hi,
    I do a fair bit of dry firing exercises with my air pistol and was wondering what the legalities would be about shooting an air pistol at home in a suitably enclosed area i.e a shed. Sadly I do not have a 10m shed to practically contemplate actually doing this for my own practice but was wondering what the laws about it would be?

This is just for air guns btw nothing that could actually penetrate a shed wall if you shot off to the side of a target with a bullet trap. I can't see any real safety reasons why you wouldn't be able to do this but the law and reality often diverge. So thoughts?
    I would be of the opinion that firing an air pistol, a H class firearm at a place other than an approved range would be illegal.

I would also be of the opinion, that depending on the size of your house block and zoning, it may also be illegal if in a suburban area to use an air rifle.

If it were legal a good sized phone book would make a good pellet trap.

Comment

I'd like to use my .30-06 and .204 at home as well but think I would get in trouble. Not worth the drama mate.
      I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Not a chance of being OK mate. Not only not at an approved range, but 'discharging a firearm in a public place' etc etc etc

Though my uncle (now deceased) used to pop off currawongs in his backyward with an ancient air-rifle lol

Comment

• shootist
          shootist commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by zhuk" post=36275
          Not a chance of being OK mate. Not only not at an approved range, but 'discharging a firearm in a public place' etc etc etc
          Though my uncle (now deceased) used to pop off currawongs in his backyward with an ancient air-rifle lol
          Sorry zhuk, but since when has the interior of my home, in which I am the only occupant, and to which nobody else can gain access other than with my permission, been a public place?

shootist

It won't be allowed in most states but I think I read something about people in SA being allowed to use air rifles in their yard, so It might be possible there.

If it were legal and you had neighbours that are annoyed by airgun noise you could practice during the rain or when loud music is playing. As suggested a phone book will make a safe and suitable backstop (I would assume these things would work, never tried it).

Comment

• Varagner
          Varagner commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Chris" post=36277
          If it were legal and you had neighbours that are annoyed by airgun noise you could practice during the rain or when loud music is playing..
          I think if I had neighbours that would complaining about something as subtle and quite as airgun noise I would have a lot of noise complaints about my power tools and I would intentionally hammer drill concrete for no real reason other then to wind them up. Sadly though I don't think the legal situation will allow me to ever find out if airgun noise annoys them.

If it was legal to fire an air rifle (such as a Diana 350 Magnum in .22) in your backyard, then theorethically, a phone book might not be entirely suitable as a pellet trap. Theoretically, a .22 pellet might penetrate the phone book and put a nice ding in an aluminium garden chair upon which the phone book was, supposedly, resting.

Theoretically, this might have unintended consequences with a deterioration in relationship with a spouse and owner of a theoretical garden chair.

Comment

• Super6one
          Super6one commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Stan 66" post=36297
          If it was legal to fire an air rifle (such as a Diana 350 Magnum in .22) in your backyard, then theorethically, a phone book might not be entirely suitable as a pellet trap. Theoretically, a .22 pellet might penetrate the phone book and put a nice ding in an aluminium garden chair upon which the phone book was, supposedly, resting.

Theoretically, this might have unintended consequences with a deterioration in relationship with a spouse and owner of a theoretical garden chair.
          Huh???

• sn@abrc
          [email protected] commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Stan 66" post=36297

While we are being all theoretical.......

Theoretical old mate [now retired from shooting] was theoretically teaching his wife the finer points of air rifle shooting in thier back yard....theoretically....

While wifey was theoretically plinking into the backstop [pile of brickies sand against the fence] a rat was seen climbing the trellissing that was bolted to said fence.

Theoretically......wifey found that her 22 air rifle slugs can go clean through an asbestos fence........and that standard 1/4" gutter bolts can hide the theoretical evidence.

stephen

In victoria its a big no no no, deemed as discharging as mentioned previously. my old man got a kind warning when he was hypothetically ridding of Indian mynas in the backyard.

Comment

Somewhere deep in the Firearms Act I recall "it is an offence to fire at or into a building, structure, etc...." with a sub-clause for Firearms Ranges to be exempt.
          Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

• UberDouche
            UberDouche commented
            Editing a comment
            QLD is the same as every other state in that an air pistol is Category H and can only be shot on an approved range.
        Working...
        X