Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt and Ammo Storage together ?

G'day All,
    As the title says, I'd like to know if, in QLD, I can store limited quantities of ammo in the top lockable part of my AB safe where I keep the rifles bolts ?

I have a feeling I can't but would like to know for sure if there's actually a rule on it, not just urban wisdom. Also, I can't find anything on it specifically using a forum search or a look at the Regs.

If I can't store ammo with the Bolts, is there any reason it can't be stored in the main lockup area with the Rifles instead ?

Just seems odd to me that I'd have to have 3 completely independent lockable vessels for Rifle, Bolt and Ammo.

Any help appreciated.
    Failure is not falling down, failure is not being pushed down, failure is choosing to stay down.

If its Urban wisdom you are after why not go straight to the horses mouth and ring WLB
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

That's an option for sure. I was hoping however that someone here already had the info and we could have a talk about it.
      Maybe someone on the forums has a great idea or two on how to set up a Safe the most effectively.
      Failure is not falling down, failure is not being pushed down, failure is choosing to stay down.

Comment

• fishphillott
        fishphillott commented
        Editing a comment
        http://www.police.qld.gov.au/Resources/Internet/programs/weaponsLicensing/documents/FirearmSafeStorageBrochure.pdf
        A quick google search comes up with this
        bolt removed but stored with firearm ammo must be stored else where in safe

• fishphillott
        fishphillott commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Scourge146" post=34247
        That's an option for sure. I was hoping however that someone here already had the info and we could have a talk about it.
        Maybe someone on the forums has a great idea or two on how to set up a Safe the most effectively.
        as to talking about safe storage requirements what is there to say you either comply or you don't simple really

Thanks for that Fishphillott.
      Going by this quote out of the link you found,

• Firearms must be unloaded and the bolt must be removed or
      action broken for storage. The bolt is a major component part
      and is subject to same storage requirements as the firearm
      and can be stored with the firearm.
      Ammunition must be stored in a secure container or secured
      area that is separate from the container that holds the firearms;
      for example a gun safe with a internal secured area for the
      ammunition (Section 85 and 86 of the Explosives Regulations

I interpret that to mean I can store the Bolt in the same gunsock with its Rifle, just not in the Action, and the Ammo goes in the lockup area at the top.
      Sorted !

Seeing that it's from http://www.police.qld.gov.au/, I'm gonna leave a printout of that page in the Safe too.

Comment

Makes more sense and safer to me to store the bolt or bolts in a separate safe from the gun or guns,at least the gun is useless if anybody gets there hands on it,although this is not stipulated in the laws you would think it should be.

Comment

• fishphillott
          fishphillott commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Grant" post=34265
          Makes more sense and safer to me to store the bolt or bolts in a separate safe from the gun or guns,at least the gun is useless if anybody gets there hands on it,although this is not stipulated in the laws you would think it should be.

what about levers and pumps should the be more restricted because it isn't practical to remove the bolts from them
          the requirements for Queensland are stated above in one of my posts if you feel higher storage standards are required in SA I suggest you approach your firearm authorities and request it
          and then see how well its appreciated by your fellow shooters in SA

• several
          several commented
          Editing a comment
          I store my bolts with the ammo here in nsw, passed several inspections thus far.
          Does the above mean in Queensland you need to remove lever action bolt thingy for storage.

If they can get into the safe would be thieves would probably have no problems getting into the ammo/bolt compartment. Glad we don't have to store the bolt separately in Vic. Besides I have no room left in the ammo compartment. Seems a bit stupid to me. If the thieves are that keen they will get into anything.
        I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=34272
          If they can get into the safe would be thieves would probably have no problems getting into the ammo/bolt compartment. Glad we don't have to store the bolt separately in Vic. Besides I have no room left in the ammo compartment. Seems a bit stupid to me. If the thieves are that keen they will get into anything.

My ammo compartment is full of bolts lol

no way to fit the rifles in the safes with them fitted, though I wish I could

For right or wrong, I always had the impression that the Rifle and Bolt had to be locked up separately. The Ammo has to be locked up too, but was asking in this thread Which can be locked in with What ?

Am very surprised to see that the Rifle and Bolt can be locked together but the Ammo must be locked separate. Despite what seems to make the most sense to me personally, it's the actual letter-of-the-Law I was searching for. Found, I believe from Fishphillott's post above.
        Does make sense though, from the point of view of "why remove the bolt from a Rifle when there's a Lever-Gun and a Pump right beside it" ?
        All it would achieve is you can immediately check it's unloaded/safe and incidents where an open bolt could accidentally be closed due to handling\bumping.

This is a bit of a relief really, the last thing we need, once a reasonable level of safety and security has been achieved, is more laws on trivial matters just seemingly for the sake of it.

Comment

• zorba
          zorba commented
          Editing a comment
          im pretty sure that in adelaide you can store the gun complete, as long as it is not loaded and the ammo is separate.

i personally have my ammo and one of my bolts stored in a completely separate safe. (just got a laptop safe from bunnings)
        I was told by my mate that ammo couldn't be stored in the internal compartment of the safe. (he might be ill-informed). None the less that part is being used for other things

Comment

Working...
        X