QLD - Transporting firearms - discussion point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QLD - Transporting firearms - discussion point

I posted a summary on how I believe the regs should be read in regards to transporting firearms in the other QLD-Transporting thread. When I hear back from WLB I'll post the official response so all can be clear.

Having made that post however, I realise that there seems to be no requirement to lock a gun bag, even a cat H wallet, but I'm sure on my Cat H course we were told the bag for a cat H needs to be locked. Can anyone point to the section?

If it's not required to be locked, it opens a mine field! For example
    I still have my old combat jacket. It has 2, large, zipped chest pockets. I don't know if they were made that size in order to carry a pistol , but it's certainly where my 9mm used to live.

Does that mean I can put a pistol in the pocket of my jacket (a secured container), chuck the jacket in the car and drive to the range??,,,,, Perhaps the answer is actually yes.

What if I put the jacket on???!

Originally posted by tinytim" post=30887
    I posted a summary on how I believe the regs should be read in regards to transporting firearms in the other QLD-Transporting thread. When I hear back from WLB I'll post the official response so all can be clear.

Having made that post however, I realise that there seems to be no requirement to lock a gun bag, even a cat H wallet, but I'm sure on my Cat H course we were told the bag for a cat H needs to be locked. Can anyone point to the section?

If it's not required to be locked, it opens a mine field! For example
    I still have my old combat jacket. It has 2, large, zipped chest pockets. I don't know if they were made that size in order to carry a pistol , but it's certainly where my 9mm used to live.

Does that mean I can put a pistol in the pocket of my jacket (a secured container), chuck the jacket in the car and drive to the range??,,,,, Perhaps the answer is actually yes.

What if I put the jacket on???!
    If unloaded, then possibly, quiete possibly you would meet the requirements, provided, you did not have a boot....

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm unlikely to "test the water" mainly because my local range is over 50km away. But how about cycling, or even motorcycling (with no more than 1 friend of course, and don't forget to log your trip!) to the range with a firearm in a pocket or in a rucksack?
      Pistol in one pocket, mags in another and ammo in a third. It would "appear" to be perfectly legal. There's no need for a trigger lock either as you're in possession.
      At what point does it actually move from being transported, to being a concealed carry?.

The way I look at it is, Are you lawfully carrying that firearm?? As in are you heading to the range or dealer or armorer?? If so then your lawfully in possession of that firearm.. Those words Lawfully or Unlawfully come up alot in the Firearms Act

As long as its not loaded I don't see the harm BUT get confirmation from WLB

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahh, from reading this thread there indeed appears to be a fine but muky line between lawful posession and transportation, or is there?

One of the guys in my club rides a motor-bike and he doesn't use a locked case but rather just tosses his Beretta into his small backpack along with his amnunition (which is in a seperate locked container of course); he does remove the slide first though in leu of fitting a trigger lock (as per NSW regulations that state that when transporting a Cat H firearm it must be temporarily disabled from being readily fired by fitment of a trigger lock or other means, ie: partial disassembly of the firing mechanism). So thinking about this, I personally can't see the difference between lawfully transporting an unloaded pistol in a bag on your back as opposed to a jacket on your back; will be interesting to see the response you get back from WLB to clarify this..
Working...
X