Import permit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import permit!

What exactly do you need an import permit for?

Ammunition
    Firearms
    Projectiles
    Brass
    Barrels
    Magazines

Do you need an import permit for a magazine tube, my Winchester tube has a big dent in it and I want to replace it! If a permit is needed does anyone import magazines and magazine components for sale here?

Also where do you obtain the relevant B709 forms from? I have seen in some states the forms are available for download, not here in SA.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Think you will find all the info and links you are asking for on here -

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4372.asp
    or
    you can email specific questions here [email protected] or by calling 1300 363 263 if you dont want to read all the bumph..
    They may just refer you to the web site anyway, depending if you get someone that actually knows whay they are talking about.
    Its a lot of reading.... but better safe than sorry...... or in jail !! haha

Good luck

Comment

• andyjm79
      andyjm79 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.

from customs website:

"A firearm magazine means a magazine designed or intended
      for use with a firearm, whether or not complete, damaged,
      temporarily or permanently inoperable, or unfinished."

So an import permit is needed just for a tube!
      One may as well get ll the components and install a new tubular magazine!

So if i am reading this correctly an export permit would not be required from the USA?

Does anyone know someone in Australia who imports on a regular basis who this sort of thing could be purchased from?

I bought a tube magazine from homesteadparts in the US not long ago. I'm in SA, rang the firearms branch and the told me to go ahead and buy the magazine, and that customs will usually let it slip, but sometimes they will seize them, and if they seize it they will send a letter to the recipient. Then you will have to fill out the B709a form.
    It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkey's

Comment

• andyjm79
      andyjm79 commented
      Editing a comment
      Also where do you obtain the relevant B709 forms from? I have seen in some states the forms are available for download, not here in SA.

It always amazes me when people ask questions already outlined in a sticky at the top of the very section they ask the question in.

The simple answer to your question on where to get a B709A is from your state firearms office. Call them, ask nicely and there will be a filled out, approved one on it's way to you. Some states do this for free, others charge you for the service. Either way, they are relatively easy to secure.

A $36 magazine tube does not require and export permit from the USA, but it technically requires a B709A to import. As has been pointed out, often these go through the import process without being detected/recognised and arrive at your door without issue. If they are seized, customs will send you a nice little letter asking for your B709A. You send it to them, they release the goods.

Comment

• andyjm79
      andyjm79 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by adamjp" post=32324
      It always amazes me when people ask questions already outlined in a sticky at the top of the very section they ask the question in.

The simple answer to your question on where to get a B709A is from your state firearms office..
      Okay fair enough but in the 21st century, you would thing that it would be available online, as for in some other states!
Working...
X