Safe storage inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe storage inspection

Right so after installing my new SPIKA rifle safe at home (4x 12X100mm bolts into floor and 4x 10X100mm coach screws into wall stud)
    I want to get the safe inspected before I bring my rifles home from St. Mary's indoor shooting centre

My question is how do I go about arranging for the inspection to be done, do i just ring up the local rozzers
    and speak to someone there?

I am aware that I will have to inform the FAR that I will be changing the safe storage address for the firearms
    Do the inspecting police officers inform the FAR that all is well or do I need to do that once the safe has been approved?

Cheers

You will have to change the storage address with the FAR, perhaps ring them with a pending day to change. I don't think you need a pre inspection of your safe, this will happen in due course, as it is up to you to have it secured properly, which it is by the details given. Definitely give the FAR a call first to confirm. NBT

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mate,

I forgot to mention that I live in NSW!

Ring the local cops and ask if the licencing Sgt is available to have a chat about your safe.

You do not need to have an inspecion prior to beinging your firearms home. Just change your address with the FAR online and the rest will take care of itself. Your local cops will be notified by the FAR that firearms will now be stored in their patrol and the licencing team will make contact in due course as they see fit. I have not been inspected in 2 years, so dont hold your breath.

If the method of securing your safe as you state above is correct you will have no problems. My Mrs is a cop and she agrees with me when I say never invite the fuzz into your patch, let them initiate contact.

Hunkachunka

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Here is a link to the FAR change of address form:

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms/forms/online_change_of_personal_details_request

Hunkachunka

My experience with NSW Licencing Police has been entirely positive. As others have correctly said, NSW Police will initiate the safe inspection process. Once you agree on a mutually suitable time, the actual inspection is very straightforward.

Spika make some quality gun safes. Just make sure it is secured properly and you will be sweet as. Licencing coppers are usually pretty busy on other matters so once they determine you are a responsible firearm owner, the actual inspection can be pretty quick. Most of the inspection is actually spent on performing a serial number audit rather than looking at the safe.

They put more effort into inspecting Cat H safes, but Cat A B safes are easy work for them.

Remember, these guys work hard and most are on the side of responsible owners. Be nice to your local copper at inspection time and karma will smile upon you.

Comment

I asked the local fuzz to inspect my safes prior to getting my first guns (during the 28 day torture period). We arranged a time and it took about 10 minutes tops. He said he'd inform FAR that the safes were inspected and passed. I figure taking the initiative helps as it shows you of good character.

With all of the talk about new/change of address or first firearms having a high priority on the inspection list I figure I'd get it out of the way and in the event my safes didn't pass then I could make changes prior to getting my guns.

Comment

The safest course of action is to install your new safe according to the NSW FAR fact sheet, check that all your house external doors and windows have locks, then invite your local licencing Police to come and check it, BEFORE you put your guns in it. That way, it's empty when they come and if there's any problem you'll be able to fix it before guns are there, so the inspecting Police won't be tempted to take them away. That visit creates an event number in the Police system so that FAR can see you have an approved safe at that address. I know many dozens of club members who have done it this way and there's rarely any problem.
        If you've previously had an approved safe and you move houses, then you can move the safe, install it as per the rules and advise the FAR using their online change of address form. FAR will advise the local Police and they will eventually arrange for an inspection.

Regards
        Paul D

Comment

• Jason Lefty
          Jason Lefty commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by PWD" post=13233
          The safest course of action is to install your new safe according to the NSW FAR fact sheet, check that all your house external doors and windows have locks, then invite your local licencing Police to come and check it, BEFORE you put your guns in it. That way, it's empty when they come and if there's any problem you'll be able to fix it before guns are there, so the inspecting Police won't be tempted to take them away. That visit creates an event number in the Police system so that FAR can see you have an approved safe at that address. I know many dozens of club members who have done it this way and there's rarely any problem.
          If you've previously had an approved safe and you move houses, then you can move the safe, install it as per the rules and advise the FAR using their online change of address form. FAR will advise the local Police and they will eventually arrange for an inspection.

Regards
          Paul D
          This is exactly what I did with my handgun safe. The cop even said it looks good when you show that you care about meeting requirements before you have the gun. My safes have electronic codes. The cop asked me where the keys to the safe are, I told him they was in my old mans house on a different premises and they to was locked in a safe. The cop really liked hearing that.

Right so I had my inspection this morning before work, the local firearms officer and a colleague arrived at our house at
        06:15 as arranged I showed them the safe, opened it on request and let them do their thing.
        The inspecting officer gave the safe a push, pull and a vicious yank - none too gently - and seemed happy
        with the result. He then proceeded to check the details of the firearms, At one point he handed me my Anschutz as
        "He didn't want to put a nice rifle like that down on the floor" while he checked the details of the other rifle.
        Glad to see he appreciates fine german engineering

Both very nice, professional and efficient members of the police.

An entirely painless and positive experience!

Comment

30 years in Vic and never had one....go figure, still waiting.
          I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Yes, but that's cos you live out in the sticks Sambar...no one knows you're there

Or cares apparently lol

Comment

• Sambar Country
              Sambar Country commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by zhuk" post=30717
              Yes, but that's cos you live out in the sticks Sambar...no one knows you're there

Or cares apparently lol
              And a mate down the road got done twice this year.
          Working...
          X