This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $100 export limit? Easy steps to get a US export license

Here's how to get a US export license for firearms parts over the $100 export limit. This guide uses Brownell's as the exporter as they are the biggest supplier and easiest to deal with for individuals wanting to export firearms parts.

Most important thing you want to know is cost. Brownells charge 3% of your total purchase to apply for an export license. This is the only additional cost compared to buying items which don't require an export license.

Step 1: Go onto Brownells.com and find all the stuff you want to buy. Note down the item numbers and desciption as you will need them to fill out your export paperwork.

Step 2: Check the manufacturer of the items you want is on this list. If the manufacturer is not listed your item can not be exported even with an export license.

Step 3: Obtain a B709 for any items that require one. For any items that don't need a B709 you need to write a letter saying the items aren't subject to government import regulations. Once your B709 arrives you need to get a certified copy of it. In QLD JPs provide a free service at shopping centers and you can find when they will be at your local here.

Step 4: Download and complete a DSP-83 and End User Statement. You can find examples of the completed forms here and here. You will need the item numbers and descriptions of your items which you should have from Step 1.

Step 5: Type up a purchase order for your items. It doesn't have to be fancy but must contain your name and address, the items you wish to purchase, your signature and list Brownells as your supplier. Here is the one I used.

Step 6: Mail your original DSP83, End User Statement, purchase order and certified copy of your B709 to Sandy Moranville to the address on the sample purchase order or End User Statement. DO NOT send your original B709 as you will need it to get your items out of Customs.

Step 7: Wait. You'll get a an email when they charge your credit card for the license application and again when your license is approved and your items are in the mail. It took ten days from when Brownells received my paperwork to my export license being approved and my items shipping.

Step 8: Once your items arrive in Australia Customs will seize them and send you a letter requesting proof you are allowed to possess them. Mail in your B709 or make an appointment to go in and pick up your items. Important note for QLDers: AusPost will not carry firearms parts once Customs releases them, you have to go in to Customs at Brisbane, nominate in writing someone to pick your items up or arrange a courier to get them. This is specific to AusPost in QLD according to the guy at Customs and they are trying to sort it out but it has been going on for months.

Step 9: Enjoy your items.

From when I sent my paperwork to picking them up from Customs was four and a half weeks. Add in the time for a B709 and all up it takes about seven weeks and about an hour to fill out some forms.

Good effort UberDouche.

Much appreciated mate for all your research.

Thanks...

Comment

Hi all I can see when I click on the link is a tap dripping, could you please post your initial post if not the whole thread!

Thanks

Comment

• UberDouche
        UberDouche commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like they only host for a certain period of time. I'll do up another link on the weekend or something. It just takes a while to do.

Ok, no worries UberDouche.

Thanks...

Comment

• UberDouche
        UberDouche commented
        Editing a comment
        Original post completely redone with download links that should be active indefinitely.

Originally posted by UberDouche" post=11641
      Step 8: Once your items arrive in Australia Customs will seize them and send you a letter requesting proof you are allowed to possess them. Mail in your B709 or make an appointment to go in and pick up your items. Important note for QLDers: AusPost will not carry firearms parts once Customs releases them, you have to go in to Customs at Brisbane, nominate in writing someone to pick your items up or arrange a courier to get them. This is specific to AusPost in QLD according to the guy at Customs and they are trying to sort it out but it has been going on for months..
      Out of interest...this last step..i am right arent I in saying that the person you have pick the stuff up will require a weapons license?

And as this is a bit dated post - has the Aussie Post nuttiness been sorted out yet?

Comment

• Varagner
        Varagner commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by didimau" post=241995
        [
        Out of interest...this last step..i am right arent I in saying that the person you have pick the stuff up will require a weapons license?
        They took my weapons license to check every time I have picked up a parcel from the Brisbane Customs office.

Here's how to get a US export license for firearms parts over the $100 export limit. This guide uses Brownell's as the exporter as they are the biggest supplier and easiest to deal with for individuals wanting to export firearms parts.
      Most important thing you want to know is cost. Brownells charge 3% of your total purchase to apply for an export license. This is the only additional cost compared to buying items which don't require an export license.
      Brownells used to operate under an exemption that allowed them to pay 3% rather than $250 per export license, due to them exporting lots of low value shipments. I believe you'll find this has now changed and they charge $250. Currently their website lists $250.

Step 1: Go onto Brownells.com and find all the stuff you want to buy. Note down the item numbers and desciption as you will need them to fill out your export paperwork.

Step 2: Check the manufacturer of the items you want is on this list. If the manufacturer is not listed your item can not be exported even with an export license.
      This is a Brownell's requirement only. There's nothing stopping an exporter from exporting goods that are not on that list. I know your instructions were for Brownell's, I just didn't want anyone assuming this applied to all exporters.

Step 3: Obtain a B709 for any items that require one. For any items that don't need a B709 you need to write a letter saying the items aren't subject to government import regulations. Once your B709 arrives you need to get a certified copy of it. In QLD JPs provide a free service at shopping centers and you can find when they will be at your local here.

Step 4: Download and complete a DSP-83 and End User Statement. You can find examples of the completed forms here and here. You will need the item numbers and descriptions of your items which you should have from Step 1.
      The DSP-83 you linked to is unfortunately an old expired version of the document, and not longer allowed to be used.
      Not all of the items in your order should be listed on the DSP-83, only the SME items.

Step 5: Type up a purchase order for your items. It doesn't have to be fancy but must contain your name and address, the items you wish to purchase, your signature and list Brownells as your supplier. Here is the one I used.

Step 6: Mail your original DSP83, End User Statement, purchase order and certified copy of your B709 to Sandy Moranville to the address on the sample purchase order or End User Statement. DO NOT send your original B709 as you will need it to get your items out of Customs.

Step 7: Wait. You'll get a an email when they charge your credit card for the license application and again when your license is approved and your items are in the mail. It took ten days from when Brownells received my paperwork to my export license being approved and my items shipping.

Step 8: Once your items arrive in Australia Customs will seize them and send you a letter requesting proof you are allowed to possess them. Mail in your B709 or make an appointment to go in and pick up your items. Important note for QLDers: AusPost will not carry firearms parts once Customs releases them, you have to go in to Customs at Brisbane, nominate in writing someone to pick your items up or arrange a courier to get them. This is specific to AusPost in QLD according to the guy at Customs and they are trying to sort it out but it has been going on for months.
      Most of the time this is correct, but it seems to be luck of the draw. I've had plenty of imports that sailed right through without being stopped by Customs. Conversely, I've had imports that didn't even require a B709 that were stopped and delayed. Anything over $1000 will get stopped so GST can be assessed.

Step 9: Enjoy your items.

From when I sent my paperwork to picking them up from Customs was four and a half weeks. Add in the time for a B709 and all up it takes about seven weeks and about an hour to fill out some forms.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        The DSP-83 you linked to is unfortunately an old expired version of the document, and not longer allowed to be used.
        Not all of the items in your order should be listed on the DSP-83, only the SME items.
        Could we please not abbreviate so those of us that are not familiar with the information given knows what it means.
        So what does "SME" items refer to??
    Working...
    X