X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling ammo (in NSW).

Ok so here is what i was going to ask:
    What is needed to sell reloaded ammo?
    What is needed to buy large ammounts of ammunition for the purposes of on-selling?
    Could i buy calibres, for which i own no rifle to use said ammunition, to sell?

But rather than act like a mushroom i decided to have a bit of a ferret around the NSW police website and see if i could find some answers.

Here is what i found, hopefully this will help others in the future:
    the FAQ relating to the sale of ammunition: link
    and here is the part that realy spoke to me:
    "I hold a current firearms licence, so can I sell ammunition to my mate who also has
    a current firearms licence?

The only licence which authorises the sale of ammunition is a firearms dealer licence.
    Section 8 of the Firearms Act 1996 prescribes that a licence issued to a firearms
    dealer authorises the dealer to "possess, manufacture, convert, purchase, sell transfer,
    repair, maintain or test any firearm to which the licence applies in the course of
    carrying on the business of a firearms dealer”. In addition, a firearms dealer is
    authorised to 'possess, manufacture, purchase or sell ammunition for those firearms'.
    "

Originally posted by scythe" post=10488
    Ok so here is what i was going to ask:
    What is needed to sell reloaded ammo?
    What is needed to buy large ammounts of ammunition for the purposes of on-selling?
    Could i buy calibres, for which i own no rifle to use said ammunition, to sell?

But rather than act like a mushroom i decided to have a bit of a ferret around the NSW police website and see if i could find some answers.

Here is what i found, hopefully this will help others in the future:
    the FAQ relating to the sale of ammunition: link
    and here is the part that realy spoke to me:
    "I hold a current firearms licence, so can I sell ammunition to my mate who also has
    a current firearms licence?

The only licence which authorises the sale of ammunition is a firearms dealer licence.
    Section 8 of the Firearms Act 1996 prescribes that a licence issued to a firearms
    dealer authorises the dealer to "possess, manufacture, convert, purchase, sell transfer,
    repair, maintain or test any firearm to which the licence applies in the course of
    carrying on the business of a firearms dealer”. In addition, a firearms dealer is
    authorised to 'possess, manufacture, purchase or sell ammunition for those firearms'.
    "
    Scythe,
    You have answered your own question. What do you want to know?

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

• scythe
      scythe commented
      Editing a comment
      Well nothing anymore I guess.
      It's more of an answer to a question rather than a question.
      Hopefully this won't be deleted and can maybe form part of a forum FAQ, formal or not.

From my research it is only completed rounds that are controlled.
    brass, projectiles, powder and primers are all fine on their own (apart from dangerous good/explosives shipping requirements), it is only when they come together that it is an issue.
    Firearms Act 1996 No 46
    Definitions of ammunition
    link
    Notice the use of the word "and", this signifies that it must have these items together to be considered ammunition for the purposes of this act.
    So in theory you could ship the brass, primers, projectiles and powder disassembled, but then it has to be carried by a dangerous good transport company.
    so best bet is you get the brass and projectiles with your purchase and sort out your own powder and primers once you have it in your hands.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Just backing up the comments about components rather than completed ammunition. I recently wanted to sell left over primers and powder along with a heap of brass, dies and press etc. The response I received from NSW FAR was there are no rules or controls about the sale of either primers or powder as separate components. In fact there are less controls than a dealer has to go through, as drivers lic details don't need to be recorded for the powder.

Those items together is a different story. Just goes to show how ridiculous the new ammo laws are.

So can a firearms dealer with proper permits in NSW act as a transfer agent for selling ammo from one licensed owner to another? Both license owners would have to have the right caliber permit of course

Reason I ask is I could be moving overseas long term for work & have some spare factory ammo still in boxes that I would want to offload, are there any dealers/rifle shops that would buy it off me?

Cheers

Comment

Yep, the NSW Police are absolutely certain that criminals have no understanding of how to reload ammunition. They are free to purchase all centre fire components for their illegal weapons because they will never figure out how to put them all together.

Seriously, the NSW Ammo Bill is nearly the dumbest piece of legislation introduced in the last decade. Our Police Commissioner is a deadset goose.

This legislation did absolutely nothing to keep illegal guns and ammo off our streets.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Stan 66" post=16298
        Yep, the NSW Police are absolutely certain that criminals have no understanding of how to reload ammunition. They are free to purchase all centre fire components for their illegal weapons because they will never figure out how to put them all together.

Seriously, the NSW Ammo Bill is nearly the dumbest piece of legislation introduced in the last decade. Our Police Commissioner is a deadset goose.

This legislation did absolutely nothing to keep illegal guns and ammo off our streets.

It wasn't ever meant to. It was just a short-term political measure as a result of the western Sydney shootings (which the Govt couldn't do anything to halt)

For general public propaganda consumption only, to be seen to be doing "something".
    Working...
    X