manufacturing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • manufacturing

    In NSW you need a dealers license to "manufacture" a firearm. How is this defined? Is it building one from scratch or would getting individual parts and assembling them still be considered manufacturing?

  • #2
    Depends on the situation. Where is the action coming from? We need more details to comment.

    Comment


    • #3
      just a guess but i'd say it would be more to do with receiving payment or an income from it instead of what work youre actually doing, so a bit of hobby work in the shed is ok but if youre being paid for the work youre a manufacturer/dealer even if youre just putting together lego kits. happy to be corrected though...

      Comment


      • Guest's Avatar
        Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by josh73142" post=9890
        just a guess but i'd say it would be more to do with receiving payment or an income from it instead of what work youre actually doing, so a bit of hobby work in the shed is ok but if youre being paid for the work youre a manufacturer/dealer even if youre just putting together lego kits. happy to be corrected though...

        you will need a dealers license in Nsw

      • Dozer
        Dozer commented
        Editing a comment
        "Section 4 of the Act defines the meaning of Firearms dealer.
        Firearm dealer means a person who, in the course of carrying on a business or in carrying out the person’s duties as a club armourer:
        (a) manufactures, purchases, sells, transfers, tests, repairs or converts firearms or firearm parts, "

        In short it is an offence to anyone other than a firearms dealer to manufacture a firearms and that includes screwing a barrel town action

    • #4
      Unfortunately manufacture of firearm parts in Australia is not so easy as it is in places like USA. Generally you need an armourers license to start with.

      The first thing the OP needs to understand is what the definition of a firearm part vs firearm accessory. This is why I requested more details of what is trying to be achieved. Manufacturing of a firearm action can not legally be done by the home hobby gunsmith in Australia like it can be done in the USA even for a one off for personal use.

      Comment


      • #5
        Further to this, the real shame in our restrictive laws is that it stiffles inovation in an industry that IS legal. I have seen posts on another forum by Leeroy (where are ya leeroy), with a great photo shoot of his action that he machined up that I don't think ever got registered due to the paperwork. Leeroy is a gunsmith in Brisbane.

        Cheers,
        Ryan.

        Comment


        • #6
          Originally posted by smenkhare" post=9848
          In NSW you need a dealers license to "manufacture" a firearm. How is this defined? Is it building one from scratch or would getting individual parts and assembling them still be considered manufacturing?

          chambering, fitting, your will need a dealer license in NSW

          Comment


          • #7
            so if you buy an action and a barrel you need to be a dealer to put them together ??

            Comment


            • Guest's Avatar
              Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Correct, funnily enough.. having a dealers licence speaks nothing to the capability of the person to correctly assemble or manufacture a firearm.

            • Guest's Avatar
              Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Rat man407" post=9949
              so if you buy an action and a barrel you need to be a dealer to put them together ??

              Yes you do

          • #8
            that got to be the biggest load of **** i have ever heard

            Comment


            • #9
              Found this in the act
              (5) In this section:

              "manufacture" a firearm includes assemble a firearm from firearm parts.

              Bummer.

              Comment


              • #10
                In Queensland the Role of Armourer/Gunsmith and Dealer are treated seperately and require different licences
                [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
                [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
                [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
                [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
                [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

                Comment

                Working...
                X